British Speedway Forum
Scunny Stag

Christmas Cracker Speedway Meeting - 27th December 3pm

First rule of first aid is "never become a casualty yourself".

A rule I know very well having been in the medical profession for many years :rolleyes:

However I was actually talking about the fact that it appears the track stafff did not pick up the fire extinguisher to put the fire out and not that they should rush over minus an extinguisher :blink: If they don't do it then who is supposed to. Having witnessed a couple of bike fires over the years it has always been the track staff or the start marshall who has used the fire extinguisher. The if part of my previous post meant if there was a fire extinguisher there why didn't they use it. Someone has already posted it was beside the podium.

Edited by Midnight_Lady

That's gratitude for the lift and risking life, limb and car parts on his street :o:D

He might be a challenger to the Fen Tigers own Adzmft, who several witnesses and phone pictures confirmed ate a 12oz burger before the meeting. The thing was so huge that despite his cavernous pudding chute (which is renowned for taking on substantial burger meals) he had to take it to bits before eating it.

And on the way back Adz_mft not being one to rest on his laurels, destroyed a mountain of KFC at Peterborough services :shock:

The legend lives on , and will be at a take away near your track in 2010 :lol:

And on the way back Adz_mft not being one to rest on his laurels, destroyed a mountain of KFC at Peterborough services :shock:

The legend lives on , and will be at a take away near your track in 2010 :lol:

haha :wink:

Didn't eat anything all day today untill 7pm :) which is no suprise after what i consumed yesterday :lol:

...it appears the track stafff did not pick up the fire extinguisher to put the fire out and not that they should rush over minus an extinguisher....Someone has already posted it was beside the podium.

Seems that as neither ML or myself were there, we need an eye witness account to help out, as some previous posts seem to offer conflicting accounts of events. ML seems to have read that there was an extinguisher there, whereas I read otherwise. I don't blame ML for being in disbelief that there shouldn't be a fire extinguisher at the start gate, which perhaps only illustrates the seriousness of the blunder, if that's what it was. So...

Can someone who was there please clarify...was there a fire extinguisher at the starting gate / podium?

Out of interest, how was the fire put out in the end?

As soon as we arrived at Scunthorpe and bought our programme, we noticed that Jim Mcgregor was the ref for the day. We knew then that there would be some dodgy decisions as we have never been to a meeting yet where he didn't do something to wind up the crowd. Time to retire NOW I think Jim!

Ben Barker has never been a favourite of mine but last night we were cheering for him to be allowed to take part in the final after the fire fiasco, which was absolutely apalling. Someones life could have been at risk and no-one cared a damn.

Anyway congratulations to Kev Doolan who was a much deserved winner, by far a class above everyone else. Well done also to Jerran Hart who looked very impressive.

Seems that as neither ML or myself were there, we need an eye witness account to help out, as some previous posts seem to offer conflicting accounts of events. ML seems to have read that there was an extinguisher there, whereas I read otherwise. I don't blame ML for being in disbelief that there shouldn't be a fire extinguisher at the start gate, which perhaps only illustrates the seriousness of the blunder, if that's what it was. So...

Can someone who was there please clarify...was there a fire extinguisher at the starting gate / podium?

Out of interest, how was the fire put out in the end?

You obviously have not read and absorbed all earlier posts - see Red5's post No 143 - he said he was there and that there was an extinguisher on the podium and at the gate.

You obviously have not read and absorbed all earlier posts - see Red5's post No 143 - he said he was there and that there was an extinguisher on the podium and at the gate.

That's even worse then. Standing there watching while someone had to go and get one from the cafe. :rolleyes:

just to clarify a point re fire extinguisher, unfortunately the fire extinguisher was not put out near start line which is an unfortunate oversight but so much time was spent preparing the track just to get the meeting on it was just forgotten. as i understand it this should be checked by either the clerk of the course or the referee before the meeting commences. as for nobody rushing about to get one this is utter rubbish as myself, andy scotney (clerk of course) and john nelson (track staff manager) were on the way over with some but by the time we were halfway across the track the fire was out with an extinguisher that had been taken out of the cafe by another member of staff. hope this clears this up. mikecarter (scunny track staff)

just to clarify a point re fire extinguisher, unfortunately the fire extinguisher was not put out near start line which is an unfortunate oversight but so much time was spent preparing the track just to get the meeting on it was just forgotten. as i understand it this should be checked by either the clerk of the course or the referee before the meeting commences. as for nobody rushing about to get one this is utter rubbish as myself, andy scotney (clerk of course) and john nelson (track staff manager) were on the way over with some but by the time we were halfway across the track the fire was out with an extinguisher that had been taken out of the cafe by another member of staff. hope this clears this up. mikecarter (scunny track staff)

it was me mike .... to be honest i went to the cafe for marshmellows but they didnt have any .... so i thought i'd better pass him the extinguisher :lol:

I'm pleased to see that Adam Roynon had such a superb meeting on his return to the track.

I congratulate him on both his determined fight to get back into action and his on track fight in this meeting. Seven points is a very commendable performance.

Believe me I know a lot about bike preperation and you're correct, shiny chrome is not the be all and end all. It just seems you enjoyed gloating at Barkers misfortune. And what has Cardiff got to do with yesterdays meeting?

You're correct .I did enjoy gloating at Bens Misfortune ,and i can tell you for a fact that I was not alone in that . there were many who were not even at the meeting who would have smiled ,when they read the reports of his misfortune . What goes around comes around !!! Am I not allowed to dislike him for some reason? I suppose because he is an English rider that some see potential in, certainly not me , He is beyond reproach for his off track behaviour as well , maybe you should let Lewis Bridger Know that since some also think he is a prospect , he can be as arrogant and badly behaved as he pleases .and will always treated as some sort of hero because he may someday bring some glory back to british speedway . as well as the public embarrasment he has so far.I thought we lived in a democracy where everyone had a right to their own view , but it seems that does not apply to speedway.

It was very enjoyable to see some speedway but for sure I am now clear as to why its a summer sport :D There wasnt a great deal of top quality racing but hardly surprising given the conditions. Good to meet up with HT, Adz and Phil as always.

Given the status of the meeting I think it was wrong to exclude Ben from the final even if technically that was the right decision. It deprived the customers of what could have been a great finale and after all the sport is all about the customers isnt it? Perhaps refs should be allowed to display a bit of common sense in this type of meeting.

Also found a great pub just outside Scunthorpe, the dog & gun, which has its own brewery and a very friendly welcome. So will definately pencil in a couple of visits to the track in the 2010 season.

"Obviously not read" eh?

Well that's the one report that says that there was "an" extinguisher there. There are others who say that there wasn't one there. (posts 107, 108, 111, 116, 123, etc)

Maybe there was "an" extinguisher, but was it the right type? Was it water, CO2, foam or powder? If the wrong one for a fuel fire was there, then not using it was the right thing to do, which then begs the question, of where the right extinguisher was?

Perhaps the situation is best explained by the track staff who are on here, as those of us who where not there can only ask the questions, and not pre-suppose the answers. Going back to my original point though, the question that I posed was what Jim McGregor's report is likely to say of the incident, and who he will put the blame onto?

Pretty typical of the speedway forum - conflicting evidence. :lol: Red5's post saying there was an extinguisher on the podium and at the gate, yet Mike Carter of the Scunny track staff says there wasn't due to an oversight.

I blame Jim McGregor. :P