British Speedway Forum
hullangel

Whats My Line

Is it my imgination, or did i dream it ?. somewere in the mists of time i seem to remember watching a t.v. programme called Whats my line..and think a speedway rider came on, signed in and did a mime of starting a speedway bike up by pulling up the back wheel....Now i think it was Eric Boocock, or Briggo......please can anyone help. By the way this programme went out in the sixties...........

Well, I can remember What's My Line? very well. It was essential Sunday night viewing. It ran from 1951 to 1963 and was hosted by Eamonn Andrews. The leading panellists were Gilbert Harding, David Nixon, Lady Isobel Barnett and Barbara Kelly.

There were a number of comparatively unsuccessful revivals in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Having said all that, I don't remember a speedway rider on it, which is not to say there wasn't. The most famous occupation featured was, of course, the saggar maker's bottom knocker.

The website tv.com has a run down on most What's my line? episodes. A search of that site shows just one page with speedway mentioned, and it is a reference to Daytona Speedway.

This is the page. http://www.tv.com/episode-674/episode/9767...results;title;1

Is it my imgination, or did i dream it ?. somewere in the mists of time i seem to remember watching a t.v. programme called Whats my line..and think a speedway rider came on, signed in and did a mime of starting a speedway bike up by pulling up the back wheel....Now i think it was Eric Boocock, or Briggo......please can anyone help. By the way this programme went out in the sixties...........

The rider concerned was England Skipper,Ray Wilson.

Edited by BobC

I remember revivals of the programme but never a speedway rider either. Somehow lots its shine when miming the bulk of professions could be done in front of a virtual computer screen! :D

The website tv.com has a run down on most What's my line? episodes. A search of that site shows just one page with speedway mentioned, and it is a reference to Daytona Speedway.

This is the page. http://www.tv.com/episode-674/episode/9767...results;title;1

That site appears to refer to the the U.S. version.

Norbold's missed the point that it was revived by ITV years later and I suspect the reported sighting of Ray Wilson may have been during the ITV revival.

Rob McCaffery

That site appears to refer to the the U.S. version.

Norbold's missed the point that it was revived by ITV years later and I suspect the reported sighting of Ray Wilson may have been during the ITV revival.

Rob McCaffery

What point did I miss?

I saw the programme in the 1950s and the rider taking part then was Reg Lambourne.

Thanks for that Knowle.

It appears that rmc completely missed that point. :P

I saw the programme in the 1950s and the rider taking part then was Reg Lambourne.

Reg Lambourne...a great old perfromer especially in the immediate psot-war years. Sheffield (?), Wigan, Bristol, Swindon, were among his tracks.

Edited by speedyguy

Well, I can remember What's My Line? very well. It was essential Sunday night viewing. It ran from 1951 to 1963 and was hosted by Eamonn Andrews. The leading panellists were Gilbert Harding, David Nixon, Lady Isobel Barnett and Barbara Kelly.

There were a number of comparatively unsuccessful revivals in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Having said all that, I don't remember a speedway rider on it, which is not to say there wasn't. The most famous occupation featured was, of course, the saggar maker's bottom knocker.

YES - Norbold - you are right. Compulsive viewing - brought a tear to my eye thinking back to the somewhat - in my view - better days of Television.

Thank you for that my friend. :):):)

If it ever came back again I nominate Wizzer to appear. There can't be many quiz shows he hasn't been on now. :lol:

YES - Norbold - you are right. Compulsive viewing - brought a tear to my eye thinking back to the somewhat - in my view - better days of Television.

Thank you for that my friend. :):):)

The contestants (were they called challengers?) had to sign in - write their names on a large . . . . wasn't a whiteboard, too long ago, a large pad of paper

In the middle of the program, there was a slightly different round, where the panellists were blindfolded and they had to guess the identity of a celebrity instead

PS Thought of Eamonn Andrews only yesterday, when I was relating to daughter's partner about listening to World Heavyweight Championship Fights on the radio in the middle of the night in the 50s/60s - was a regular thing to wake up to listen to Johansson, Patterson, Clay, Liston, etc - Barrington Dalby and Eamonn Andrews

Sorry. I digressed. I don't remember a speedway rider either!

I don't know about Reg Lambourne but I remember watching Ray Wilson on it, in the late 60's or early 70's I would say.