British Speedway Forum
gaztrotter

2010 Grand Prix wildcards

Tai and Bomber are in the GP series in 2010 to keep British fans interested in the series. We may as well put Darth Vader in as most GB fans outside of Essex, Swindon, or Banbury don't rate or even like Richardsson.
\

Bomber is in the series 'cos he's the British Champ; get behind your Champion, FFS! :angry:

Tai's in the series 'cos he's the best thing to come outta Pomgolia since the First Fleet. :approve:

I think we are all aware of that :rolleyes: and there lies many peoples problem with the gp's it's become more about selling tickets and manking money for a company than a world championship event .

And the end of the day no brit has earned the right to be in this years gp, it's that simple

Absolutely correct. The operative word is earned.

Absolutely correct. The operative word is earned.

And the same can be said for the 2008 season also, but then, as is the case now, brits are an important part of the series, whether anyone likes it or not. Why do you think the host nation of any world sporting event automatically qualify? Ok, it's a different format , and its over 11 meetings in several countries, but the principle is the same, to put bums on seats and give the home fans something to cheer about. It still doesn't explain Harris' inclusion though.

Why do you think the host nation of any world sporting event automatically qualify?

Apart from the SWC or Team World Cup or whatever it is called next year.And maybe explains why it is only held in Denmark and Poland nowadays as a British promoter would be taking a huge gamble in applying for the meetings with no assurance that GB would be there.Whereas Poland and Denmark are pretty safe bets to get into the final,so the risk is very small

And the same can be said for the 2008 season also, but then, as is the case now, brits are an important part of the series, whether anyone likes it or not. Why do you think the host nation of any world sporting event automatically qualify? Ok, it's a different format , and its over 11 meetings in several countries, but the principle is the same, to put bums on seats and give the home fans something to cheer about. It still doesn't explain Harris' inclusion though.

Look at Orions post 256 at 9-40 am today this page. What he said was its more about selling tickets and making money than a World Championship. Do you agree or not agree ?

Richardson was also rider of the year at Eastbourne last year, so he is a very popular rider in three clubs out of nine which is about as much as most riders are.

Bomber and Tai can't claim any exceptional support outside of their own clubs.

But the GP's are not about being popular and I can't believe you seriously think it is going to take Tai and Bomber to keep the British fans interested. Seriously, how much interest did Bomber generate in the GP's last year ?

well this is the issue isnt it? Nobody knows because it hasnt been put to the test.... and it doesnt look like this generation of IMG management are willing to put it to the test. More and more as time goes by it appears to be about one or both of two things..... the Cardiff attendance or the finer details of the Sky contract

re: the Bomber/Rico debate... I felt that they were the two who should be in .... maybe that was as inspiring a choice as offering it to someone like Peter Karlsson.... but Mr Karlsson is actually a very good example of what has gone wrong with the GP's................ only a part of speedway has ever been about 'box office'... and imo its certainly true that the day contrived and over reaching decisions were made in the name of 'box office' is the day that the sport loses a chunk of credibility.............. Peter Karlsson is still at the top of the game in multiple leagues and yet has been out of the GP's since what seems like forever............. so what is the issue? Is it that Black Country hurdy gurdying? is it that he is a speedway pensioner? or is it that he has some fetching steel frames on his face and a down to earth attitude?......... I think the group of guys who are now being passed over is becoming too large.... or rather the average difference between those in the competition and the new blood is too much......... is there really a tangible point where a rider has had his last chance?

Edited by spook

Why do you think the host nation of any world sporting event automatically qualify?

What like the speedway world cup you mean ?

Speedway already has wildcards from the host nation as a rule in every meeting to help sell tickets etc and i dont have a problem with that as you have to get balance between a true championship event and the money side ...the trouble is in the last few years it's gone to far over to the money side in terms of what riders get picked and where they are having the events like Poland 3 gp's world cup finals in Poland and Denmark Every other year .

Four consecutive wild cards for Chris Harris has created an arrogant and utterly delusional rider with no credibility on the world stage. Even the year where he won the British Grand Prix he failed to reach the top 8, and year after year his inclusion looks more and more farcial.

At least Nicholls, poor as he was at times, was able to qualify by right on at least one occasion.

JT.

Even the year where he won the British Grand Prix he failed to reach the top 8

lets be fair now .... he missed out by a gnats whisker and it was his debut year ........ how many rookies in recent years have made the top 8? (in fact how many permanent wildcards have?!)

I'm interested in what has gone wrong since aside from the periods of duff gating on slick tracks....... it seems to me that his machinery has not been the same since Brian Andersen

Edited by spook

lets be fair now .... he missed out by a gnats whisker and it was his debut year ........ how many rookies in recent years have made the top 8? (in fact how many permanent wildcards have?!)

I'm interested in what has gone wrong since aside from the periods of duff gating on slick tracks....... it seems to me that his machinery has not been the same since Brian Andersen

Emil and Bjerre this year even if Bjerre came in via qualifications.

edit see this post

Edited by Ghostwalker

Emil and Bjerre this year even if Bjerre came in via qualifications.

edit see this post

indeed... and debuts since 2002........?

Zagar 2006 (7th)

Hampel 2004 (8th)

and since the start of the gp's ....

Sullivan 1998 (7th)

Brian Andersen 1997 (6th)

Nilsen 1997 (8th)

Peter Karlsson 1996 (6th)

in all the riders who have entered the gp's very few have managed it since 1996, and especially in recent years..... like I said Bomber's whisker away from 8th was one of the best debut gp seasons ....and the issue has been since then

Edited by spook

Who do we think should be in it in 2010 who isnt? No one really jumps out at me, was wondering what others on here think.

Who do we think should be in it in 2010 who isnt? No one really jumps out at me, was wondering what others on here think.

read this and the other Wild Card threads, that will answer your

question as these threads are filled with that kind of discussion.

Nothing like a bit of added 'fuel' to the Harris - Nicholls feud :lol: teehee...

From Speedway GP site:

Nicholls was pleased to see Woffinden rewarded for his impressive progress at home and abroad. But he admits he was surprised to see Harris receive another chance in the SGP series, after the Coventry man finished 14th last season.

He said: “Personally, I think Tai and Lee Richardson should have been given wild cards.

“Lee hasn’t been in it for a while and he has been in pretty good form everywhere. His scores in Sweden and Poland are better than mine and Chris’ and his British form is good.

“I was surprised Bomber got the nod over Lee. That’s just my personal opinion – I was surprised Lee didn’t get a wild card and he deserved one most out of all the British riders.”