British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
quasartech

Motospeedway Espana

I don't know what has happened to the Home of Speedway in Spain. http://www.motospeedway-espana.com/

It hasn't been updated in over a year. Probably the current financial situation has put a stop to it but Google Street View has arrived there.

The track can be seen from the road.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yksgfdv

Edited by quasartech

There is a thread about it somewhere, but sad to say I believe the project was abandoned by the original owners. I don't know, but someone else may have took it on though.

Wasn't the story that, after a long time trying to get the project off the ground, they finally got close to the finishing post, only for someone to break into their storage area and nick half the kit, including bikes and riding gear?

IIRC, they ran out of money and inclination and gave it up as a bad job, not very surprisingly.

Wasn't the story that, after a long time trying to get the project off the ground, they finally got close to the finishing post, only for someone to break into their storage area and nick half the kit, including bikes and riding gear?

IIRC, they ran out of money and inclination and gave it up as a bad job, not very surprisingly.

There was also a problem - I think - that part of the site was in a different municipal area to that where some sort of tentative approval had been given.

Hi 'DK Rides Again',

I have only just picked up on this thread so my apologies for the delay in replying to straighten the record. Am not too sure what IIRC means but it gives me the impression that you disbelieve what actually happened to us out there. Money did indeed become a problem even though their was £25K in place ready to take us through to opening the circuit we would have needed to source at least another similar amount to replace the tools, riding equipment and workshop equipment that was stolen. There was never any question of lack of inclination as we had not got ourselves that far in the first place, however, when you are living and working on your own in the middle of nowhere and your life is threatened by a convicted armed robber from the UK (who openly admitted to me on several occasions that he had shot security guards during various robberies) because i would not lend him 2000Euros to get in on a big cocaine deal it tends to undermine your ability to focus on the job in hand and eventually i was forced to return to the UK after suffering a breakdown, which i have no shame in admitting. If you see this as a lack of inclination then so be it, we were beaten pure and simply by the system over there and eventually the systematic robbing of the bulk of our brand new riding gear (60 helmets, 70 suits of body-armour, 60/70 Wulfsport race suits plus googles and gloves), thankfully no bikes were taken showing that all the kit stolen would be sold on to moto-crossers, a sport that is huge in Spain. Three and a half years to get full permission to build the workshop/changing facilities and open the track would have tried anyones patience especially after investing some £250k in buying the land, landscaping it, shipping everything we had out to Spain and kitting out the school with 40 bikes and riding equipment, not to mention tractor, jcb, water bowser, the list goes on.

In the end for our own sanity and the sake of our relationship we were forced to abandon the project, so you may diss what has been said and what has been written although a two page interview with Peter Oakes in the Speedway Star went into lots of detail about the problems we came up against, it's obviously a shame you missed it or you would have been a bit better informed before you made your own judgement. There is no disgrace in trying and giving something everything you have in trying to make it work, the real disgrace is for someone who sits on his/her arse doing nothing constructive and is happy to pour scorn on someone else's efforts. As i said on several occasions in the past, the 'it'll never work mongers' proved to be right in the end and good luck to them, but both Claire, Dan, Myself and all the people involved with the project were obvously devasted but content that we did the very very best we could and in the end it was circumstances well beyond our control that saw the death of the project.

Thankyou Quasartech for your original posting and interest it is very much appreciated, and to answer Deano there have been no enquiries whatsoever about taking the project over, but the infrastucture is still in place and the land is still ours so who knows, in a few years to come we may be in a position to have another go because we still believe that the project was a viable idea.

Thankyou for taking time to read this,

Best regards,

Russell Paine

A sad story, scumbags! Hopefully you are well on the way with regards to your recovery, and who knows what the future holds.

You are being a wee bit hard on DK Rides Again as IIRC stands for If I Remember Correctly, I dont think the tone of their post was derogatory at all.

Anyway best of luck and respect to you for chasing the dream!

I'd agree with fingersfin.Sad story,but i don't read any scorn on your efforts from DKRA.Just trying to say he couldn't blame anyone for pulling out after what you went through :unsure:

OK

I'm about three years behind in this forum, but I have to say my heart goes out to Russell and his wife what a brave and massive effort they did and I'm sorry for them it's now on the back burner, as an ex motocrosser from Kent I would have loved having a bash round.

if the project comes back to life I'd like to know.