British Speedway Forum

At the other end of the road to the stadium the weather is lovely, sure it'll be the same by the track, gonna be a brilliant meeting. :D

Updates on this meeting will be available Here

Seems like the track is up to it's normal standards, why do they hold meetings like this at such a crap track. :rolleyes::unsure::blink:

Seems like the track is up to it's normal standards, why do they hold meetings like this at such a crap track. :rolleyes::unsure::blink:

What amazes me is an hour into the meeting and they've run 4 heats. At this rate it'll be finishing at about 9pm and thats assuming there is no interval. Only in speedway could it take so long to get things started.

I know it was only a charity meeting, but I'd say Nicki seems to be setting the bar pretty high so far. Mind you,let's see if things change when they are all chasing the cash as at the Kilby Memorial and the Brandonapolis. :wink:

Just got home from the meeting, and I have to say how dissappointed I was with the track, which, considering the field, made for some poor entertainment. A great turn out, nice weather, although a bit nippy, and we watched 19 heats of processional racing. We were so bored, we left before the semi and final, it was that bad. I only live 15 minutes drive from Rye House, and I feel sorry for those who made long journeys to watch that pile of poo. We knew what we were in for after race one. As the riders went through the bends, they disappeared into a cloud of dust, and although they watered the track straight after, it looked devoid of any basic material, and once the riders got out of the gate, you could fill out your programme. Not a great advert for Rye House, and it will only add fuel to the fire regarding the criticism it gets. Normally, I would defend it, but not after today.

The only good thing to come out of it, is that the coffers of the Ben fund have been swelled.

Edited by srbramble

Just got home from the meeting, and I have to say how dissappointed I was with the track, which, considering the field, made for some poor entertainment. A great turn out, nice weather, although a bit nippy, and we watched 19 heats of processional racing. We were so bored, we left before the semi and final, it was that bad. I only live 15 minutes drive from Rye House, and I feel sorry for those who made long journeys to watch that pile of poo. We knew what we were in for after race one. As the riders went through the bends, they disappeared into a cloud of dust, and although they watered the track straight after, it looked devoid of any basic material, and once the riders got out of the gate, you could fill out your programme. Not a great advert for Rye House, and it will only add fuel to the fire regarding the criticism it gets. Normally, I would defend it, but not after today.

The only good thing to come out of it, is that the coffers of the Ben fund have been swelled.

Very honest of you , but i'm sure track curators up and down the country will have had their work cut out after the winter we've had .

I'll bet most tracks will take a couple of weeks to bed down this season . Added to that it was an individual meeting ( i wouldn't open my curtains if there was one going on in my back garden ) at the start of the season - so it's not surprising . But as you say , at least the benefit fund coffers will have been swelled .

Like Paulco says very honest of you, but like he says many track curators will be having trying to sort out problems with the track. I think most people who will have attended will have just been pleased to see some racing and all for a very worthwhile cause.

Very honest of you , but i'm sure track curators up and down the country will have had their work cut out after the winter we've had .

I'll bet most tracks will take a couple of weeks to bed down this season . Added to that it was an individual meeting ( i wouldn't open my curtains if there was one going on in my back garden ) at the start of the season - so it's not surprising . But as you say , at least the benefit fund coffers will have been swelled .

You're right I guess, but my disappointment overwhelms me too much to use it as an excuse. If there was a siign that many others felt like me, it was the lack of atmosphere. They took far too long to get riders onto the track for the next heat, which didn't help, but 4000 people should make more noise than that. Maybe, they were all asleep.

Edited by srbramble

You're right I guess, but my disappointment overwhelms me too much to use it as an excuse. If there was a siign that many others felt like me, was the lack of atmosphere. They took far too long to get riders onto the track for the next heat, which didn't help, but 4000 people should make more noise than that, but maybe they were all asleep.

I think generally we go to meeting with a line up like today at Rye, and I think people's expectations are very high, and rarely does it live up to it.

Sounds like a typical Rye House track to me, fair play Sbramble for being so honest and not bias, A great shame for the supporters.

so did people notice a difference with bikes using the new silencers?

Sounds like a typical Rye House track to me, fair play Sbramble for being so honest and not bias, A great shame for the supporters.

Check out the heat times. Usually, 57 - 59 seconds for 4 laps in the PL, 59 - 60+ in the NL. We had the cream of the speedway world at Rye today, and they were putting NL times. I think that tells you something about the track.

Oh, and the new silencers work. When our mascot came out for a couple of laps, his bike sounded no different to the 500s. It's not the same, but needs must I suppose, for out sport to go forward.

Edited by srbramble

Heat 1 was the dustiest I have ever seen Rye I reckon. There were big gaps between heats, maybe that was due to grading etc bit most of the crowd were in the stadium by 12 so waiting wasn't going to be a plus for us. The races were not all processional, there wasn't passing on every bend of every heat but you rarely see that anywhere in speedway.

Not a bad meeting for the cause it is raced for, I'd rather pay £15 to the Ben Fund for that than for a normal pl meeting. Well done to everyone involved. Happy speedway season! :P:D