British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jim Blanchard

Meeting At New Cross For Anyone Interested

All very valid points, Parsloes, Ron and Ian. The smoking ban has had a huge impact, but so too has the availability of loss-leader fizz piled high in the big 4 supermarkets, very often at prices cheaper than soft drinks. And does anyone else feel ever so slightly intimidated by the crowds of smoking drinkers now spilled out onto the pavements outside pubs?

Anyway, hope you find a decent boozer for your New Cross reunion. The place closed a year or so before I even knew Speedway existed!

Perhaps the breweries should try a bit harder.

My local convenience store will sell me 6 500ml cans of Stella for £5.50, the equivalent quantity in my local pub will cost me the best part of 20 quid; combine that with the fact that I'm a filthy smoker and it's not hard to work out why I don't go near boozers, if I can help it.

I'm afraid I think £3.50 for a pint is extortion, for that money, I expect the glass to lift itself to my lips; if the pubs want my business, they will have to sharpen their pencils a bit.

Speaking of boozers -did there use to be a pub called "Duke of Nottingham" or something similar outside West ham Stadium? Is it still there?

A little research shows there was a Nottingham Arms on Prince Regent Lane, so not far from the stadium; gone now though, demolished in the early 2000s.

Anyway, all this talk of pubs, surely a pie and a cup o' char, on what's left of the terraces, would be more appropriate ;)

Edited by DK Rides Again

Thanx mate-the demise of the English pub brings it home to me that England as I recall it has changed.Speaking tho' of pubs I associate with speedway, is the "Four Counties"-between Brum and Nottingham still there-?????may have been near Tamworth or the town they had the car auctions(the name of which I forgot). Used to stop there and have a pint with buddies on the way back from CH. to Nottm.

[quote name='DK Rides Again' date='Dec 8 2009, 11:23 PM' post='1653932'

Anyway, all this talk of pubs, surely a pie and a cup o' char, on what's left of the terraces, would be more appropriate ;)

I rarely drink at Speedway, because I'm usually driving....but after Speedway, real ale is one of my passions, so forgive me for leading the thread astray a touch!

And you're right....I too would baulk at £3.50 a pint, especially for something like Stella.....

[quote name='DK Rides Again' date='Dec 8 2009, 11:23 PM' post='1653932'

I rarely drink at Speedway, because I'm usually driving....but after Speedway, real ale is one of my passions, so forgive me for leading the thread astray a touch!

And you're right....I too would baulk at £3.50 a pint, especially for something like Stella.....

Don't worry 2B (I like your pencils, by the way) I never have a problem talking about beer, except when it's to do with the price of it ;)

The more I think about it, a trip to the frying pan should consist of pies, teas and the watching of 'Once A Jolly Swagman' on a portable DVD player, or would that be too surreal/maudlin?

Come on DK/Norbold. What happened to the meeting we were going to have in a local pub and a look around where the track was. Some of us maybe running out of time you know. :D A nice pub lunch and a walk around where the track was. It would be nice if it was about the time John Chaplin and Norman Jacob's book came out on Tom Farndon - that would be a nice touch. I might get the old bugger JC there in person with a bit of luck.

Plus, if he could find the right number bus out of Streatham 'Speedyguy' if he has a night off from lamp posts and get the 'SOUTH LONDON PRESS' involved with a review.. I would be happy to mention it on my New Cross website and create a page for it on Facebook. :approve:

(Can you find your way south of the river Derek?)

I'll do it if needs be but I will need some recognizance from DK perhaps regarding pubs etc. Over to you....

Give me a shout if you do organise something. I live very locally. As you know, I'm too young to have any recollections of speedway in the area, but would be delighted to join you boys for a pint or two and listen to some shale tales of yore :-)

Cant see a better date than the launch (of his and JC's) book on Tom Farndon.

Talking of which...a preview of the cover can be seen Here

Looks good to me! Certainly well worth £14.99 of anyone's money! :)

Edited by norbold

Talking of which...a preview of the cover can be seen Here

Looks good to me! Certainly well worth £14.99 of anyone's money! :)

You never miss the opportunity of a free plug do you? Next you'll be telling us all that the timeless "Speedway's Classic Meetings" is still available and would make an ideal christmas present.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedways-Classic-...s/dp/075243554X

You're shameless Norman. Utterly shameless. :wink:

You never miss the opportunity of a free plug do you? Next you'll be telling us all that the timeless "Speedway's Classic Meetings" is still available and would make an ideal christmas present.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedways-Classic-...s/dp/075243554X

You're shameless Norman. Utterly shameless. :wink:

Isn't that the book that's actually dedicated to this Forum and therefore every member should own a copy? :P

Isn't that the book that's actually dedicated to this Forum and therefore every member should own a copy? :P

Yes, the exact Speedway's Classic Meetings I was talking about. That's Speedway's Classic Meetings, for anyone who missed it the first time. :)

Ah yes, Speedway's Classic Meetings.

I happen to have a few copies if anyone would like one. It's a great read. :)

Good idea, Jim.

By the way, I am giving a talk on the History of New Cross Speedway to the Lewisham Local History Society on 26th November next year. Anyone in the area welcome...

Hi Norbold,

If I am still around on this planet I will do my best to be there.

Good idea, Jim.

By the way, I am giving a talk on the History of New Cross Speedway to the Lewisham Local History Society on 26th November next year. Anyone in the area welcome...

On reflection Norman, maybe the whole thing should be arranged around this. The trip and walk around the where the track was, would be tied in nicely with your talk on New Cross Speedway in Lewisham, it makes sense for those that wish to attend both, and I know I would like to. Sorry about that - I was simply thinking about the book launch which no doubt will be well covered anyway. At least it will make a day of it and pubs and beer to me at least are not so important, rather than just getting the atmosphere hopefully and to a little extent of what the sport was all about initially, to us fans of New Cross.

Problem is; will the Lewisham local History Society be able to cope with all us New Cross fans turning up...? :)

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Norbold........just curious here.....did you ever go to those NX supporters clubs meetings / get togethers during the '60's???