British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jim Blanchard

Meeting At New Cross For Anyone Interested

Come on DK/Norbold. What happened to the meeting we were going to have in a local pub and a look around where the track was. Some of us maybe running out of time you know. :D A nice pub lunch and a walk around where the track was. It would be nice if it was about the time John Chaplin and Norman Jacob's book came out on Tom Farndon - that would be a nice touch. I might get the old bugger JC there in person with a bit of luck.

Plus, if he could find the right number bus out of Streatham 'Speedyguy' if he has a night off from lamp posts and get the 'SOUTH LONDON PRESS' involved with a review.. I would be happy to mention it on my New Cross website and create a page for it on Facebook. :approve:

(Can you find your way south of the river Derek?)

I'll do it if needs be but I will need some recognizance from DK perhaps regarding pubs etc. Over to you....

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Good idea, Jim.

By the way, I am giving a talk on the History of New Cross Speedway to the Lewisham Local History Society on 26th November next year. Anyone in the area welcome...

Edited by norbold

Good idea, Jim.

By the way, I am giveing a talk on the History of New Cross Speedway to the Lewisham Local History Society on 26th November next year. Anyone in the area welcome...

Mmm wonder what i am doing "around Christmas 2010"! :lol:

And i think "Hatcham" is the pub expert in that area.Remember him saying a year or more back that half the pubs i remember are gone!!!!

Edited by iris123

And i think "Hatcham" is the pub expert in that area.Remember him saying a year or more back that half the pubs i remember are gone!!!!

m8, sadly almost ALL the pubs in London have gone..! :cry:

Am used to that being the situation in East London but was astonished when down the Old Kent Road earlier this year to see even the Thomas A-Beckett and the Dun Cow have closed.. The Dun Cow's been converted into a Health Centre for gawd's sake!! :shock:

And is it just me but isn't NEXT November one heck of a long time for the Lewisham Local History bods to plan ahead their talks...?! :blink:

Am used to that being the situation in East London but was astonished when down the Old Kent Road earlier this year to see even the Thomas A-Beckett and the Dun Cow have closed.. The Dun Cow's been converted into a Health Centre for gawd's sake!! :shock:

And is it just me but isn't NEXT November one heck of a long time for the Lewisham Local History bods to plan ahead their talks...?! :blink:

The Thomas-A-Beckett!!!! :shock: Blimey that was a landmark and all the history tied up with the place.All the great boxers who trained there :cry:

And on the other point....i was thinking the same

Come on guys. I'm talking February 2010 not November . Norman has delfected the idea to suit. :rolleyes:

Cant see a better date than the launch (of his and JC's) book on Tom Farndon. Hope Hatcham can make it. Looking forward to hooking up with him.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

It's you, Derek. Most clubs and societies now have their speakers booked until the end of 2010...at least! See http://www.clactonhistory.com/ for example!

Come on guys. I'm talking February 2010 not November . Norman has delfected the idea to suit. :rolleyes:

Cant see a better date than the launch (of his and JC's) book on Tom Farndon. Hope Hatcham can make it. Looking forward to hooking up with him.

Sorry, Jim. But now you mention it, the launch of the Tom Farndon book would be a good time. :D

Edited by norbold

Come on DK/Norbold. What happened to the meeting we were going to have in a local pub and a look around where the track was. Some of us maybe running out of time you know. :D A nice pub lunch and a walk around where the track was. It would be nice if it was about the time John Chaplin and Norman Jacob's book came out on Tom Farndon - that would be a nice touch. I might get the old bugger JC there in person with a bit of luck.

Plus, if he could find the right number bus out of Streatham 'Speedyguy' if he has a night off from lamp posts and get the 'SOUTH LONDON PRESS' involved with a review.. I would be happy to mention it on my New Cross website and create a page for it on Facebook. :approve:

(Can you find your way south of the river Derek?)

I'll do it if needs be but I will need some recognizance from DK perhaps regarding pubs etc. Over to you....

I'm not much good on pubs, all I can tell you is that I used to be resident DJ at the Crown & Anchor, which was, almost, on the corner of Old Kent Road and Ilderton Road (the main drag to Hornshay Street) and is now a Chinese.

Good idea, Jim.

By the way, I am giveing a talk on the History of New Cross Speedway to the Lewisham Local History Society on 26th November next year. Anyone in the area welcome...

I can probably organise an earlier gig with the Sydenham Society, or something similar, if you're interested.

Hatchem should probably be the expert on the area, full stop, seeing as how he's chosen the name of the area, before it was called New Cross.

Join CAMRA. The organisation is committed to preserving REAL beer and REAL pubs. We are in danger of being left only with Gastro-pubs, chrome and glass wine bars and disco bars serving insipid fizz!

Join CAMRA. The organisation is committed to preserving REAL beer and REAL pubs. We are in danger of being left only with Gastro-pubs, chrome and glass wine bars and disco bars serving insipid fizz!

Tell me about it...

I think the only salvation is probably Wetherspoons - who buck the trend and OPEN pubs (usually good ones and ALWAYS serving decently priced real ale.. :approve: ) where all around them others are closing..

And it's out and out closure not conversion to poncey versions of licensed premises that's the problem, believe me... :neutral:

In the East End where I work, pubs are closing due to lack of customers: in a hugely Muslim area what can one expect AND to redevelopment schemes (the latter regretable IMHO.. :cry: ); in Barking & Dagenham most pubs close due to violence, meaning licences are revoked..: which to me just says really that people there don't deserve decent pubs.. if they're incapable of behaving themselves; and in the rest of London..? Well, I couldn't say - though one imagines the drop in trade must have some links to the smoking ban..

All very sad... :cry:

In the East End where I work, pubs are closing due to lack of customers: in a hugely Muslim area what can one expect AND to redevelopment schemes (the latter regretable IMHO.. :cry: ); in Barking & Dagenham most pubs close due to violence, meaning licences are revoked..: which to me just says really that people there don't deserve decent pubs.. if they're incapable of behaving themselves; and in the rest of London..? Well, I couldn't say - though one imagines the drop in trade must have some links to the smoking ban..

All very sad... :cry:

A mate of mine is a director of a large group of wine bars, and they have been suffering for the past year or so. All of their research shows that some of the drop-off in business is due to the recession, but the greater part is a direct consequence of the smoking ban.

Interestingly, a smoking ban in bars and restaurants was introduced in Croatia last spring. The government there realised though that this would have a large impact on business. That's why they included legislation that allowes smoking in these same establishments during the winter months when no one wants to sit outside. Quite imaginative, I thought.

A mate of mine is a director of a large group of wine bars, and they have been suffering for the past year or so. All of their research shows that some of the drop-off in business is due to the recession, but the greater part is a direct consequence of the smoking ban.

Interestingly, a smoking ban in bars and restaurants was introduced in Croatia last spring. The government there realised though that this would have a large impact on business. That's why they included legislation that allowes smoking in these same establishments during the winter months when no one wants to sit outside. Quite imaginative, I thought.

Indeed it is, Ian. Perhaps that's why our own legislators did not add it to the No Smoking bill. Strange that they preferred the here, there or anywhere else in the building approach.

Though I speak as a non-smoker I do feel the total ban anywhere at any time is excessive. The Croation approach being better by far.

All very valid points, Parsloes, Ron and Ian. The smoking ban has had a huge impact, but so too has the availability of loss-leader fizz piled high in the big 4 supermarkets, very often at prices cheaper than soft drinks. And does anyone else feel ever so slightly intimidated by the crowds of smoking drinkers now spilled out onto the pavements outside pubs?

Anyway, hope you find a decent boozer for your New Cross reunion. The place closed a year or so before I even knew Speedway existed!

Will certainly hit the pubs here soon.In Germany small pubs are exempt at the moment if they are under 75qm.And round the Reeperbahn for instance there are lots of very small pubs.You can only get about 10 or 15 people in some!!!I had never seen such small places before coming here.But the rules will change soon and they will also become no smoking zones.Can imagine that might hit business hardThought i also read that even these smoking areas in restaurants will also have to go and it will be 100% no smoking which is ridiculous and i am a non smoker.......

Speaking of boozers -did there use to be a pub called "Duke of Nottingham" or something similar outside West ham Stadium? Is it still there?