British Speedway Forum
Mike Litrus

Joe Owen

After having admired both Joe and Tom as respected opponents in the seventies I finally got to know Joe in 1985 with him rejoining the NL with Ellesmere Port just at the time when I had my strongest association with the league at its top level.

Over the year I'd got to know the promoter Mervyn Porter quite well and when the Gunners were in London I arranged a hotel for the team and led a convoy from Wimbledon to the hotel in east London. As you can imagine it was a quite a queue of cars and vans and most of the time we were making sure that Dave Morton in the rear van had made it through the many traffic lights.

Eventually I got them to Forest Gate and it was time to feed the horde. Despite holding down a fairly official role with the National League I was still very much a fan and delighted to be sent off to the chippy with my old hero, Joe.

Now in those days kebabs weren't that common outside London and so neither was chili sauce. Joe's first move was to ask for the nearest kebab shop where he made sure that the food was smothered in the hottest sauce possible and returned with me to the hotel looking forward with child-like delight to seeing the faces of his team-mates struggling with their food. :lol:

I got quite attached to the Gunners that year and was delighted that they took the league title in their one season back in speedway. Then the season ended in tragedy, Joe was paralysed and the sport for me was never the same again...

Joe was the greatest D2/NL rider of his era and yet never seemed to lose any respect in the process. Not many winners can achieve that.

Rob McCaffery.

Edited by rmc

After having admired both Joe and Tom as respected opponents in the seventies I finally got to know Joe in 1985 with him rejoining the NL with Ellesmere Port just at the time when I had my strongest association with the league at its top level.

Over the year I'd got to know the promoter Mervyn Porter quite well and when the Gunners were in London I arranged a hotel for the team and led a convoy from Wimbledon to the hotel in east London. As you can imagine it was a quite a queue of cars and vans and most of the time we were making sure that Dave Morton in the rear van had made it through the many traffic lights.

Eventually I got them to Forest Gate and it was time to feed the horde. Despite holding down a fairly official role with the National League I was still very much a fan and delighted to be sent off to the chippy with my old hero, Joe.

Now in those days kebabs weren't that common outside London and so neither was chili sauce. Joe's first move was to ask for the nearest kebab shop where he made sure that the food was smothered in the hottest sauce possible and returned with me to the hotel looking forward with child-like delight to seeing the faces of his team-mates struggling with their food. :lol:

I got quite attached to the Gunners that year and was delighted that they took the league title in their one season back in speedway. Then the season ended in tragedy, Joe was paralysed and the sport for me was never the same again...

Joe was the greatest D2/NL rider of his era and yet never seemed to lose any respect in the process. Not many winners can achieve that.

Rob McCaffery.

Rob

I think IMO as to the greatest D2/NL rider of that era John Jackson would be my choice but Joe was a great rider strong and brave without doubt.

Rob

I think IMO as to the greatest D2/NL rider of that era John Jackson would be my choice but Joe was a great rider strong and brave without doubt.

John was an NL great and stayed loyal to the league but I feel Joe had the edge overall. Perhaps it was in part due to the wonderful Newcastle teams that Joe & Tom led.

I used to watch John a lot at Ellesmere Port and wonder if his starts would have been quite so impressive there if the ref could see gate 4 :wink:

Rob McCaffery

Dont want to hi-jack the thread, but one's mans record sees him stand alone as the National League's greatest ever rider :approve:

As for Joe, I had a conversation with someone on here before and I mentioned how another rider in an interview said he had never seen scars like those Joe was left with after that life threatening accident at the Boulevard in 1978. I believe he had what it took to have become a top performer on the world stage, if it hadnt been for that crash. He was still only 21 when it happened and had a CMA of over nine points at the time. He actually showed amazing resolve to come back from it as well as he did.

Having been an Ellesmere Port fan I got to see both John Jackson and Joe Owen wear a Gunners racejacket.

I never got the opportunity to see Joe Owen ride in the powerful Newcastle 1976 side but his record speaks for itself and based on the his NL average and his individual preformances there are can't be any doubt that Joe Owen was THE NL superstar of all time. I recall watching Joe ride for the Diamonds in 1982 and remember the excitement when he appeared at Thornton Road and wondering whether any of the Gunners could beat him, this also happened when Joe rode for the Gunners in 1985 when the home fans willed the local favourites to try and beat Joe on their own patch on the Gunners travels.

Regarding John Jackson he was also a NL superstar and like his great rival Tom Owen they both preferred to ply their trade in NL. "Jacko" was probably the one rider in NL in the mid 70's that both Owen's considered their nearest rival. However for consistancy Joe Owen wins the award as he was "top dog" in NL averages in the 1975,1976,1982,1983 & 1985 seasons and NL Champion 1976 & 1982, Something that Jacko didn't achieve (his best was third in the 1978 NL averages and second place in the NL Riders championship in 1976 & 1978).

However in terms of performance at Thornton Road, there is no doubt that Jacko was the "man". Joe never achieved the home mastery at Thornton Road of Jacko in his only Gunners season, while for Jacko defeats at NL level particularly during the 1976 -1978 seasons at Thornton Road were extremely rare.

So my vote goes to Joe "Burger" Owen.

Bring back the Gunners !

Bring back the Gunners !

Oh yes.

Is the stadium still open for dogs and football? I remember reading a story in the Liverpool Echo that it was to be redeveloped. I spent many happy nights there watching the likes of Jacko and Peter Carr, and ,istening to and learning from the excellent Doug Adams on the p.a.

They were good years in the old National League and I have so many happy memories of some fine riders.

Rob McCaffery

Oh yes.

Is the stadium still open for dogs and football? I remember reading a story in the Liverpool Echo that it was to be redeveloped. I spent many happy nights there watching the likes of Jacko and Peter Carr, and ,istening to and learning from the excellent Doug Adams on the p.a.

They were good years in the old National League and I have so many happy memories of some fine riders.

Rob McCaffery

As far as I know there is still greyhound racing there. Also lets not forget Stuart Shirley who lost his life at the track.

Sorry John, must have been typing at the same time B)

Have to get onto my old mate John to amend his website.

Thanks for pointing out the error on the Ellesmere Page of www.defunctspeedway.co.uk I have corrected it. If anyone wants to reminisce with pictures of Tom and Joe there are dozens of pics on the 1970's pages of www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk

As far as I know there is still greyhound racing there. Also lets not forget Stuart Shirley who lost his life at the track.

The track is still in tact they actually race the dogs on the old s/way track what a waste and Stuart was so unlucky killed at a training school by hitting a roller on the centre green.

Guest bubble

One hell of an entertaining rider in his day. Bags of potential which we all failed to see because of his injury which forced him into early retirement. He was such a stylish rider, i just loved the way he used to twist his body on a bike. I would put him in the same rider mould as chris holder and darcy ward. My belief is that he would have reached great heights in speedway but sadly we will now never know how high.:cry:

Edited by bubble

One hell of an entertaining rider in his day. Bags of potential which we all failed to see because of his injury which forced him into early retirement. He was such a stylish rider, i just loved the way he used to twist his body on a bike. I would put him in the same rider mould as chris holder and darcy ward. My belief is that he would have reached great heights in speedway but sadly we will now never know how high.:cry:

If anyone is interested I have got a few matches on DVD featuring Joe Owen...and yes he really is that good!

Please drop me an email to fletcherh1961@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers

Paul

Oh yes.

Rob McCaffery

I went there today, Rob, coming home from a short break in North Wales.

I don't think there is any football played there (if there is the pitch is very rough indeed) but the dog track is in place and there was some practice going on.

Its very run down and looks ripe for development, if truth were told. I doubt you'd get planning permission for speedway as its on the edge of a big housing estate. The M53 motorway is behind the old back straight stand.

I doubt you'd get planning permission for speedway as its on the edge of a big housing estate. The M53 motorway is behind the old back straight stand.

Both were there when it ran speedway but times change.

Thanks for confirming the situation though. Ironically I passed through the town on Saturday but I didn't get the chance to take a look.

I think the football club moved out a long time back. It wasn't running at a very high level. Vauxhall Motors play in Ellesmere Port but at a different ground.

Rob McCaffery.

Edited by rmc

there was many great nl riders,joe owen and jacko were brilliant,but lets not forget steve lawson and martin yeates ,when they turned up at any track you knew they would score double figures.dave perks was another mike ferreira wayne brown all top nl riders.

Edited by burton

Joe Owen was a great rider who without that big crash at Hull could of gone further int he sport!

Tony Mole had 2 applications to reopen Ellesmere Port in 2001 turned down bacaue of the noise and parking issues!

Would make a great venue for National Leaue racing in present times!