British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

World Finals Of The 70s

WORLD FINALS OF THE 70s

NEW ON DOUBLE DVD

Four hours of pure World Final nostalgia. From Wembley to Wroclaw, Gothenburg to Katowice, this is the inside story of 10 World Championship Finals.

*Exclusive interviews with the stars

*Dramatic archive action footage

*Previously unpublished photos

Former World Champion PETER COLLINS talking from home and from the heart about the pursuit of his boyhood dreams, the glory of Katowice ‘76 and the ones that got away.

---------------------------------------------------

Hear sensational views straight from the riders themselves...

*Who amazingly thought he was a “useless World Champion” and felt relieved to lose his crown?

*What a very forthright Briggo has to say about Bernt Persson and THAT Wembley crash.

*The mistakes that cost Ivan Mauger so dearly in 1973 and PC in ’77.

*Ivan on the “hardest ever” meeting to win.

*Why the “cheats” denied Ole Olsen in 1976.

*The race that still haunts Malcolm Simmons.

*Kelly Moran’s final interview.

Ah, those were the days. The super 70s, when crowds of 90,000-100,000 and more filled Wembley and Katowice to watch the world’s top riders battle it out for the sport’s richest prize.

It’s all here . . . action-packed drama, controversy, great races, hair-raising crashes, costly machine failures, heartbreak and heroism involving the men who were at the centre of it all. Interspersed with key archive action footage and still images, we present exclusive, new

interviews with the winners and losers of World Finals from the glorious 1970s. Be shocked and riveted by this revealing insight from some of speedway’s all-time track greats:

Record-breaking six times world champion Ivan Mauger, three times winner Ole Olsen, four times title holder Barry Briggs, England heroes Peter Collins & Michael Lee, super-Swede Anders Michanek, the nearly men John Louis, Malcolm Simmons, Dave Jessup & Gordon Kennett, plus Brits Trevor Hedge, Ray Wilson, Terry Betts & Nigel Boocock, stylish Swede Bengt Jansson and American ace Kelly Moran.

Order your DOUBLE DVD today and relive the magic and drama of speedway’s biggest nights from a golden era.

£16 (P&P free in UK)

To order by phone, simply call our Credit/Debit Card Hotline on 01708 734 502.

Or send cheque for £16.00 (payable to Retro Speedway) to: Retro Speedway (World Finals), 103 Douglas Road, Hornchurch, Essex, RM11 1AW.

Or go online and make payment via secure PayPal at our website: http://www.retro-speedway.com

*Who amazingly thought he was a “useless World Champion” and felt relieved to lose his crown?

Michanek?

I'm assuming there is no footage from 1971: I've never found any. If there is, put me down for a copy!

I'm assuming there is no footage from 1971: I've never found any. If there is, put me down for a copy!

If anyone is after all the World Finals from the 1970's / 1980's and 1990's please give me a shout...my email fletcherh1961@yahoo.co.uk...thats's 45 hours of footage for £30 plus postage!

But does it have film from the 1971 final?

My guess is no.

My guess is no.

Yes , you are right, the answer is unfortunately no!

All the World Finals from 1969 until 1994 were recorded...except 1970 and 1971!( which I have)..then in 1995 the Grand Prix circus started.

Best Regards

Thoroughly enjoyed the DVD.

Have to agree with Ivan Mauger's comments on the 1970 final being the hardest one to win. With all riders on basically riding the same equipment, rider's attitude skill was paramount.

Thoroughly enjoyed the DVD.

Have to agree with Ivan Mauger's comments on the 1970 final being the hardest one to win. With all riders on basically riding the same equipment, rider's attitude skill was paramount.

Without a shadow of a doubt. And to do it in the poles back yard made Ivan's win even more remarkable.

What a wonderfully educated and well-spoken chap Barry Briggs is ! ! ! !

Was there any need for the language he used in the interview/s ?

I doubt it - it's a dreadful advert for our "family sport" to have to listen to this sort of language from one of the "greats" of speedway

Nothing wrong with making his points, but I am truly disgusted at the way this comes across on this production

Surely a more professional interview could have taken place so that we could actually enjoy listening to what Mr Briggs has to say

Mauger and Briggs - chalk and cheese on this evidence

A warning about the language at the start is all well and good, but this sort of public display of swearing wins the DVD, the sport, and Mr Briggs in particular, no plaudits whatsovever

What a wonderfully educated and well-spoken chap Barry Briggs is ! ! ! !

Was there any need for the language he used in the interview/s ?

I doubt it - it's a dreadful advert for our "family sport" to have to listen to this sort of language from one of the "greats" of speedway

Nothing wrong with making his points, but I am truly disgusted at the way this comes across on this production

Surely a more professional interview could have taken place so that we could actually enjoy listening to what Mr Briggs has to say

Mauger and Briggs - chalk and cheese on this evidence

A warning about the language at the start is all well and good, but this sort of public display of swearing wins the DVD, the sport, and Mr Briggs in particular, no plaudits whatsovever

Mary Whitehouse lives!

Oh, come on, please. We're all grown ups here, aren't we?

You're right, we do add a warning at the very beginning about the occasional use of strong language, so if you have any children in the viscinity who are likely to sit down and watch a 4-hour double DVD about apeedway in the 70s, then the warning note is there to alert you to cover their ears. Or wait until they've gone to bed until you play it!

You are the first to have even mentioned the swearing bits, which I believe give the whole thing authentcity and show the wholehearted passion people like Briggo have for the sport and (in this case) just how seriously he viewed that incident with Berny Persson.

It's earthy. It's raw. it's real. And it's from the heart.

Anyway, don't blame Briggo for using 'fruity' language which is obviously too 'disgusting' for you to bear. Blame me.

For when we recorded the interview at his home, it was simply done with the intention of me being able to refer to it some time later before writing it up for part use in Backtrack and Classic Speedway magazine. The days of short-hand are thankfully long gone.

Barry had no idea then that it would be used in an audio format for the purpose of this DVD.

And neither did I at the time. It was only 18 months later, when we looked at all the material we had accumulated over a six-year period, that we decided to adapt some of it for the DVD.

The language Barry uses when recalling THAT crash with Persson is entirely in context (which is why we left it in) and not at all gratuitous.

He has used big grown-ups swear words in his book too - and I don't have a problem with that either.

If you have been offended by strong language on our DVD, then I can only apologise.

To suggest that the great Briggo is not a good ambassador for the sport because of a few F's on a DVD is, frankly, laughable. You're talking about a man - nay, a legend - who has just cycled halfway round the UK to raise tens of thousands of pounds for disabled ex-speedway riders, and will continue to do so in the weeks ahead (www.briggo.net)

You're talking about a collosus who has devoted his life to the sport, of which he was a household name throughout the 60s and 70s and, if you asked the general public now, would still be the first speedway rider's name they could remember.

For F*** sake, Midland Red, give us a break!

Edited by tmc

Tony, I have to agree with you 100%.

Barry's use and fruity language gave true authenticity to the interview as you knew that every word he said was real. No water down version that would have lost its meaning in context. You can hear far worse language then Briggo's today in most modern blockbuster films and television programmes.

Briggo, will always be a true legend of speedway. I am not saying saying this because he rode for my team Wimbledon. But for what he achieved in the sport.

His bike ride around the UK can't be commended enough, as far as I'am concerned.

when i was a kid briggo always had plenty of time for the fans. he never refused to sign an autograph or have a chat. some riders like mauger and monk could be really hard work. although a few years later when i travelled with ivan to poland on his farewell tour i found him to be a really nice bloke and felt guilty for booing him all those years ago. :)

My guess is no.

I was at the 1971 final. You could video me talking about it if you like! :P

[if anyone is after all the World Finals from the 1970's / 1980's and 1990's please give me a shout...my email fletcherh1961@yahoo.co.uk...thats's 45 hours of footage for £30 plus postage!

Just a quick thank you for the World Final set plus all those additional meetings...I have watched up to The 1985 Final at Bradford with Ermolenko riding out of his skin!....Great stuff!

I will be back for some more of your collection very soon.

Thanks again...and at £35 for 17DVD's ...it's a bargain

The following is a small extract from the review of WORLD FINALS OF THE 70s, written by Speedway Star Editor Richard Clark and which appeared in Speedway Star magazine dated May 8, 2010.

Every speedway home should have one. As a guide to 70s World Finals, this is indispensable.

Nostalgia might well be a thing of the past, but this is truly gold-dust.

Speedway gold-dust.

To read Richard's full review, go to: http://www.retro-speedway.com

----------------------------------------------

WHAT OTHERS HAVE SAID...

I was first introduced to speedway in the early 1970s, so this DVD is from the era when I fell in love with the sport.

The audio and video interviews were of particular interest and enjoyment, especially with Michanek, PC, Briggs, Mauger and Olsen. Anders is my all-time favourite rider (my first ever sporting hero) so it is great that we can hear what he and all these riders have to say about their time at top of the sport.

Totally honest, from-the-heart interviews, unlike most of the bland interviews you get with professional footballers these days, and some great racing footage to go with them as well.

This DVD is an absolute must-buy for anyone who followed the sport during the 70s.

Andy Povey

----------------------------

I loved the DVD, especially the PC and Kelly Moran interviews, for obvious reasons.

I loved Speedway in the 70s and 80s, so much fun, and great personalities. I will watch this DVD over and over again!

Carol Stock

--------------------------------

Can I just say "Wow!". The whole thing, from start to finish, is enthralling and absorbing.

Tony's interviews provide the perfect complement to the stills and the archive footage. I suppose the passing of years means that the riders can view their triumphs and disappointments a bit more dispassionately, which makes their interviews refreshingly honest.

A hundred out of 10 would be my rating - anything less just wouldn't do justice to this superb four hours of speedway heaven.

Dave Corbett

------------------------------------------

The new 70s World Final double DVD is absolutely brilliant and a fantastic nostalgic DVD - I'll watch it again and again.

Howard Murphy

Edited by tmc