British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fiesta

Weymouth Speedway

As I was in the area last week, I decided to pay a visit to Weymouth Speedway for their match against Rye House Cobras, taking along a couple of friends and my 8 year old daughter.

Now whilst I admire anyone who sets up and runs a track, I have to say that the place is shocking. No proper toilets only two portaloos, a dirty old caravan selling snacks and a bar with a rotten old sofa stuck in the corner, with decaying seating outside. Whilst I expected to find only the very basics, it's no wonder their crowds are so poor, my daughter bored whilst the tractor broke down on track counted 176 people.

My mate who is a Health and Safety Officer for a large organisation, was shocked that the place actually gets a licence to run.

We stuck it for 90 minutes (11 heats), but gave up when the tractor which had broke down several times, came out again and they took an interval.

Only bright spot for me was the performance of Marc Owen, looked a very tidy rider indeed.

Edited by Fiesta

at weymouth there are proper toilets to use inside the football ground. i was also at this meeting on friday and although i got fed up with the tractor problems these things happen at speedway. running a track at this level can be a real struggle and most venues find it hard to survive.

Indeed, rather harsh words from this first-time visitor... I can't say I've ever been struck with how poor the facilities are at Radipole Lane. Like all new(er) tracks operating in this tier I'm always instead struck by the endeavour and still the excitement, that there are folk out there opening tracks and keeping them going in modest circumstances and with minimal resources... For such people and places we should be grateful.

Also 90 minutes for 11 heats...?: ain't the worst I've heard of by a long stretch.. (but then people will remember where I used to be announcer!!! :wink::rolleyes: )

We stuck it for 90 minutes (11 heats), but gave up when the tractor which had broke down several times, came out again and they took an interval.

I'm not sure I understand your argument on this bit. The tractor issue was, at most, a mild annoyance but as said these things happen. When considering that the parade was at 7.15 with the first race around 7.30, this meeting was done and dusted in 1 and 3/4 hours. Isn't that normal (good?) for any speedway match? I guess the other factors must have contributed to your early exit.

Agree about Marc Owen though - very good indeed.

Have you seen the toilets inside the football ground? They are worse than the portaloos bye a mile!

Have you seen the toilets inside the football ground? They are worse than the portaloos bye a mile!

You smell them a good way before you see them

to be fair, on friday the football ground toilets were clean and believe it or not the lights were working!. :shock:

at weymouth there are proper toilets to use inside the football ground. i was also at this meeting on friday and although i got fed up with the tractor problems these things happen at speedway. running a track at this level can be a real struggle and most venues find it hard to survive.

On my last visit to Weymouth, the ladies toilets in the football ground were clogged up and unusable - I had to resort to the portaloo. I admit it did leave an impression, and not a good one.

To be honest the whole experience at Weymouth is a little undesirable.

The racing was good though!!!!

this as depressed me im off there a week on friday for my first visit.up at 5 on the friday to go to work then again on saturday after a good 3 hour journey back.i could cope with everything but someone mentioned poor food :angry:

Edited by bruno

Don't worry Bruno. The Cafe at the football club is open before the meeting for quality nosh and draught beers (un-like the warm, ovepriced cans sold at the track)

Much to Mr Bartlets dislike :D

Don't worry Bruno. The Cafe at the football club is open before the meeting for quality nosh and draught beers (un-like the warm, ovepriced cans sold at the track)

Much to Mr Bartlets dislike :D

What time is the cafe open until?

He's been staying open till the start of the meetings on Fridays. If the trade is there he'll stay open longer.

He's been staying open till the start of the meetings on Fridays. If the trade is there he'll stay open longer.

Cheers BOSS. Will probably give it a go next time I come down.