British Speedway Forum
RPNY

U21 World Team Cup - British Team Selection

I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure Len didn't do the track in 1975. He was brought in to do it for the next two World Finals as a result of the debacle in 1975.

Was at Wembley in 1975.Like you,not 100% sure.But i seem to recall the scenario you mention.

Was at Wembley in 1975.Like you,not 100% sure.But i seem to recall the scenario you mention.

Quote from Bob Radford's feature in the last issue of "Backtrack"....

"In 1975 the Speedway Control Board and their contractors made a mockery of track preparation for the World Final on a night where fans infamously grabbed water hosepipes to try and dampen the dust.

Happily, Len Silver was brought in to prepare the circuit from 1976 and he ensured that all remaining meetings held there were contested on the best possible track."

So you can't blame Len for Wembley 1975, Rye House 2010 might be a different matter though.......

You must be joking, reasonably central, to what? Coventry used to roll out that argument to get big meetings, then other clubs started getting big meetings, why should one club always get them.Personally i feel Somerset deserve a big meeting like the EL or PL riders championship. and i would gurrantee, you would not get a boring meeting, no matter who dropped out. Personally i would prefere them to stage the PL riders Championship, you know you would get 20 heats of dam good racing!!

Reasonably central for people who want to come from all corners of the U.K! It aint all abaht the bleedin' Sarf you know! ;) Somerset would be great but it aint up to FIM standard yet unfortunately.Sheffields a fantastic race track,and would do it proud.Leaping Len has to have a serious word with himself. :rolleyes:

Edited by Young51

Was that as exciting as it got? A high speed procession!(can't find a yawning smiley!)

I suppose it was all that could be expected when the FIM or whoever allocate the meeting to a track devoid of shale and a reputation for being just that. I'm glad that Ole Olsen didn't get invovled in the track prep because couldn't it have got any slicker could it?

It will be interesting to see where MJJ ends up!

Hardly. Someone already has him signed up.

I'm glad that Ole Olsen didn't get invovled in the track prep because couldn't it have got any slicker could it?

I disagree entirely. If Ole had been given a chance to work on that track, it could only have been improved...and that says something!

Was that as exciting as it got? A high speed procession!(can't find a yawning smiley!)

I suppose it was all that could be expected when the FIM or whoever allocate the meeting to a track devoid of shale and a reputation for being just that. I'm glad that Ole Olsen didn't get invovled in the track prep because couldn't it have got any slicker could it?

Actually it was the final race and a bit of the presentation, for news purpose, I didnt see the World cup presented, because (as far as I know) there wasnt one!!!

Really? who is that then?

I'm also curious to know which team has signed Michael Jepsen Jensen for 2011?

Edited by Pollyanna

Not been able to post 'cos my PC has been buggered for almost two weeks ... Had to visit a local internet cafe to post this

That was one of the most boring afternoons of speedway I've had the misfortune to attend. I can't think of anything positive to say about it ... After years of defending the Rye House track It's pretty clear that it's not able to stand up to 25 heats of speedway ... The track had no water put down on it from when I arrived around mid-day until after the first heat as far as I could see. At other tracks I've attended the track is worked on until around 15 minutes from the start ... Oh, how I'm looking forward to this weekends double header with Newport, or perhaps I'll just stay in and watch the Nordic GP instead!!

Edited by Shadders

Like you don't know wink.gif

Not another amazing "find" from Matt Ford...