British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
davidba

Number Of Speedway Tracks In The World!

Anyone know what became of it, I assume there must have been some Portugese riders at some time??!

Not sure. I think it was originally created as some sort of FIM/UEM project to expand speedway into new areas, and just held meetings with 'imported' riders.

This topic inspired me to create some kind of atlas/directory of all the tracks in the world. I've got some work to do with adding all the tracks, but i've made a start :-)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=115715215103463258710.00048adf5e6a31b49b774&z=2

Currently haven't got round to adding some of the countries (notably Poland) but i'll get onto it soon.

Talking of places that USED to have tracks - what about Zimbabwe? Under its old colonial name it regularly attracted touring British riders and there were a few tracks I believe. Crayford legend Laurie Etheridge was a regular visitor there.... And a lad who joined my Sixth Form (yes it WAS a long time ago... :wink: ) to avoid the Rhodesian army draft spoke of watching Speedway there..

And then there was Majorca..: in the early '70s Ian Hoskins ran a track there. I wonder if it still lies unused on that Spanish holiday isle..? :unsure: A local rider Marshall Pugh was the star and he briefly came over and rode at Hoskins' Dad's track at Canterbury in the early '70s..

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

This topic inspired me to create some kind of atlas/directory of all the tracks in the world. I've got some work to do with adding all the tracks, but i've made a start :-)

http://maps.google.c...6a31b49b774&z=2

Currently haven't got round to adding some of the countries (notably Poland) but i'll get onto it soon.

nice. here is the correct location of the Eskilstuna track. link.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=115715215103463258710.00048adf5e6a31b49b774&z=2

A great undertaking Tom, will be wonderfull when it's complete and very usefull resource to those of us who like to travel to watch speedway. :) Thanks!!

Excellent work Tom and I look forward to the final version!

I'm sure there was something similar to this available a few years ago on Google maps. However, in view of the lack of anyone piping up with details of such one presumes it has faded away and not been updated.

Tom, is there any chance you can do post a couple of details here in this forum to enable us to assist with missing locations. First of all can you please list on here the tracks that you need information for, as in those that you haven't got the full details for. Only, i for one haven't got the time available, or desire to click on every link on the map to see if the details are present for every single track. If you give us the ones you need info for we can work on them.

I presume the listing of the tracks in the left hand column is totally out of your hands? Only, apart from being in country order (i think), there is absolutely no order at all, not even alphabetical. Does Poole appear first because it's the first one you entered and/or it's your favourite team?. Does Google force them to appear in the order you entered them?. Can you have a glance to see they provide the option to order A-Z. Failing that, my second request is can you give the list so far on here? It's just it will make it far easier to assist.

Edited by manchesterpaul

I'm sure there was something similar to this available a few years ago on Google maps. However, in view of the lack of anyone piping up with details of such one presumes it has faded away and not been updated.

Tom, is there any chance you can do post a couple of details here in this forum to enable us to assist with missing locations. First of all can you please list on here the tracks that you need information for, as in those that you haven't got the full details for. Only, i for one haven't got the time available, or desire to click on every link on the map to see if the details are present for every single track. If you give us the ones you need info for we can work on them.

I presume the listing of the tracks in the left hand column is totally out of your hands? Only, apart from being in country order (i think), there is absolutely no order at all, not even alphabetical. Does Poole appear first because it's the first one you entered and/or it's your favourite team?. Does Google force them to appear in the order you entered them?. Can you have a glance to see they provide the option to order A-Z. Failing that, my second request is can you give the list so far on here? It's just it will make it far easier to assist.

I'll go through it tomorrow with the list of tracks which need locations and which I believe are spot on.

The listing thing is in the order they were entered, for the GB tracks its unfortunately the order they appear in the speedway star preview issue which is where I got the track postcodes from. I'm hoping to move it to a website when its finished so there I can have country by country pages and links to each part of the map (hopefully).

I've been sent all the Swedish locations so once I get round to actually inputting them there shouldn't be too many tracks which aren't correct.

One thing that does need doing is the American, Australian and New Zealand tracks. If anyone has all the locations of these that would be great.

In the last 30 seconds i've just realised I can change the order of the tracks on the left hand side.

I'll make them A-Z when I have a chance

as posted in general speedway:

Below is a list of the tracks which need a direct location and the countries which are currently missing!

Tracks lacking a proper locations

All Argentinian Tracks

Mseno, Czech Rep.

Pardubice, Czech Rep.

Brovst, DK

Esbjerg, DK

Vejilby, DK

All Finnish Tracks (Not helped by poor google maps images of Finland)

Berghaupten, Ger

Dohren, Ger

Landshut, Ger

Meissen, Ger

Nordhastedt, Ger

Buxton, GB

Northside & Sittingbourne both missing, GB

Lonigo, ITA

Sergeo, ITA

Verona, ITA

Blijham, NET

Lelystad, NET

Drammen, NOR

Elgane, NOR

Kongsberg, NOR

Kristiansand, NOR

Lunner, NOR (Snow covered google maps image doesn't help me finding it lol!)

Mjoesa, NOR

Riska, NOR

Balakovo, RUS

Oktyabrsky, RUS

Ljubljana, SLO

Walkerville, SA

Countries Missing

Australia

New Zealand

USA

Hopefully each map entry will grow over time to feature track information (length, track record, random trivia, stadium/track photos). So if you have anything to add, please contact me (all photos to add must be yours, not somebody elses without permission!)

If you can help, email me here or PM me on here.

Thanks

Tom

Polish track locations and Canadian ones are accurate and spot on all of them( you can see the tracks in satellite view).

I really like the locations of most Swedish tracks surrounded by forest it really is very nice and picturesque.