British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Polish Extraleague Relegation Battle

With the catch-up matches almost complete the table shows how close it is at the bottom

Courtesy of Sportowefakty.pl

M pts w d l

Unia Leszno 12 27 11 0 1 +253

Caelum Stal Gorzów 12 25 10 1 1 +118

Betard WTS Wrocław 12 17 6 1 5 +13

Unibax Toruń 12 14 6 0 6 -13

Tauron Azoty Tarnów 12 9 4 0 8 -104

Falubaz Zielona Góra 11 9 4 0 7 -5

Włókniarz Częstochowa 12 6 3 0 9 -143

Polonia

Bydgoszcz 11 5 2 0 9 -119

Fridays home match for Bydgoszcz v Zielona Gora is massive.Am i right in thinking that the bottom team is relegated and the 2nd from bottom meets the runners up in div 1 for the right to be in the extraleague next season.

The last two matches are this Sunday

Czestochowa v Zielona Gora and Tarnow v Bydgoszcz and the final match on 1st August Bydgoszcz v Czestochowa.

Are you Bydgoszcz fans confident on retaining extraleague status ?

What a great speedway weekend in Poland.Friday Bydgoszcz v Zielona Gora Saturday on to Gdansk for the u21 final 1st round then Sunday finish off with Torun v Leszno-wish i could be there !

Edited by racers and royals

No. We, the Bydgoszcz fans, are not worried :) (not much, at least :wink: )

First of all, those two teams that end the main part of the season on the positions 7th and 8th ride against each other (home & away) for staying up in Ekstraliga (99% it will be Bydgoszcz and Czestochowa). Doesn't matter that much if you finish 7th or 8th, actually - the advantage of finishing 7th is that you host the second match and if it's a draw on aggregate (for example 50-40 in the first meeting and then 50-40 in the second meeting), the team which was 7th will stay up.

Then, once this 7th v 8th race-off is decided, the loser falls down straight to Divsion 1 and the winner races against the runner up of Division 1 (same type of a race-off - home & away), as you wrote above.

If Daugavpils are the runner up of Division 1 then we may have no race-off as I don't think they'll ever allow them to ride in Ekstraliga (on the other side - don't think Daugavpils would ever want it due to financial reasons).

Back to the question - we are not much afraid of racing against Czestochowa in the race-off for staying up. Emil will be back by then and it shouldn't be too hard to beat them with him. But obviously you can never be sure if someone else doesn't get injured etc... so of course there will be some stress over these two matches.

We are not that rubbish. Alright, we are nothing special either (having such aces like Lindback or Kosciecha :P) but it's Emil's injury that has ruined the whole season for us. Ride 11 out of 14 matches without your leader and try to qualify for the play-off - definitely not an easy task, especially that we even cannot do any RR on Emil due to some league regulations regarding averages etc.

Actually then, Friday's match against ZG may not matter at all. Personally, I'm not even really excited about this meeting. The team will be trying to win it but to qualify for the play-off (top 6) we have to win at Tarnow (or at least score there a bonus point if we beat ZG) which in my opinion is impossible without Emil - we'll probably lose it 55:35 or something about. So, the team will be fighting till the end, as they sing, but having watched their efforts and tries this year, most Bydgoszcz fans have already mentally prepared themselves for a 'to be or not to be' battle for staying up against Czestochowa (+ maybe Division 1's runner up after it).

Edited by Mateusz

Thanks Mateusz for the info-i agree that you will beat Czestochowa over 2 legs if neccesary,they are the worst team in the league and Emils injury has hit Bydgoszcz badly.

Totally agree with Mateusz ;) Except two things: I'm excited about meeting against Zielona Góra :D Due to some reason it will be just third Polonia match which I will watch this season on the stadium. And second: maybe in Tarnów we will score 40 ;) But personally I think that our riders are able to win there (there was good match in Toruń).

Couldnt Bydgoszcz afford the bribes this year? Times must be hard for Polish refs this year,only 1 new BMW.

No. We, the Bydgoszcz fans, are not worried :) (not much, at least :wink: )

First of all, those two teams that end the main part of the season on the positions 7th and 8th ride against each other (home & away) for staying up in Ekstraliga (99% it will be Bydgoszcz and Czestochowa). Doesn't matter that much if you finish 7th or 8th, actually - the advantage of finishing 7th is that you host the second match and if it's a draw on aggregate (for example 50-40 in the first meeting and then 50-40 in the second meeting), the team which was 7th will stay up.

Then, once this 7th v 8th race-off is decided, the loser falls down straight to Divsion 1 and the winner races against the runner up of Division 1 (same type of a race-off - home & away), as you wrote above.

If Daugavpils are the runner up of Division 1 then we may have no race-off as I don't think they'll ever allow them to ride in Ekstraliga (on the other side - don't think Daugavpils would ever want it due to financial reasons).

Back to the question - we are not much afraid of racing against Czestochowa in the race-off for staying up. Emil will be back by then and it shouldn't be too hard to beat them with him. But obviously you can never be sure if someone else doesn't get injured etc... so of course there will be some stress over these two matches.

We are not that rubbish. Alright, we are nothing special either (having such aces like Lindback or Kosciecha :P) but it's Emil's injury that has ruined the whole season for us. Ride 11 out of 14 matches without your leader and try to qualify for the play-off - definitely not an easy task, especially that we even cannot do any RR on Emil due to some league regulations regarding averages etc.

Actually then, Friday's match against ZG may not matter at all. Personally, I'm not even really excited about this meeting. The team will be trying to win it but to qualify for the play-off (top 6) we have to win at Tarnow (or at least score there a bonus point if we beat ZG) which in my opinion is impossible without Emil - we'll probably lose it 55:35 or something about. So, the team will be fighting till the end, as they sing, but having watched their efforts and tries this year, most Bydgoszcz fans have already mentally prepared themselves for a 'to be or not to be' battle for staying up against Czestochowa (+ maybe Division 1's runner up after it).

So you reckon the final pre play off meeting on 1st August v Czechostowa will be a warm up for the relegation decider?

Hope it's a good atmosphere for my first trip to the mecca of speedway, and Gizatullin + Szombierski better ride!!

What a great speedway weekend in Poland.Friday Bydgoszcz v Zielona Gora Saturday on to Gdansk for the u21 final 1st round then Sunday finish off with Torun v Leszno-wish i could be there !

Luckily me and the wife picked a good long weekend to go. Leaving in the morning to watch the Polish individual semi at Lodz tomorrow evening.

I will be on match Bydgoszcz - Zielona Góra also :)

Totally agree with Mateusz ;) Except two things: I'm excited about meeting against Zielona Góra :D Due to some reason it will be just third Polonia match which I will watch this season on the stadium. And second: maybe in Tarnów we will score 40 ;) But personally I think that our riders are able to win there (there was good match in Toruń).

Not watching most matches this year must have saved you lots of nerves.

Couldnt Bydgoszcz afford the bribes this year? Times must be hard for Polish refs this year,only 1 new BMW.

???

So you reckon the final pre play off meeting on 1st August v Czechostowa will be a warm up for the relegation decider?

Hope it's a good atmosphere for my first trip to the mecca of speedway, and Gizatullin + Szombierski better ride!!

Not expecting any crowds at this match, around 4 thousands maybe.

Hi Mateusz,

Sorry off topic but can I ask if the Ekstraliga Second Leg Grand Final is still scheduled for the 10th of October?

Who gets the right to choose the 'home' or 'away' fixture, is it the team that finished highest in the league?

And are their still tickets for the GP the previous night?

Sorry off topic but can I ask if the Ekstraliga Second Leg Grand Final is still scheduled for the 10th of October?

The Ekstraliga final matches are scheduled for September 19th (1st leg) and 26th (2nd).

There's unfortunately no league after the Bydgoszcz GP then, except the 2nd leg of the race-off between Ekstraliga's 7th team and Division 1's 2nd team (very likely it will be Bydgoszcz but very unlikely such match could take place at the Bydgoszcz stadium the day after the GP).

Another meeting taking place the day after the GP is Leigh Adams farewell tournament at Leszno including many GP riders. This will be Adams' last speedway meeting ever, I guess.

Who gets the right to choose the 'home' or 'away' fixture, is it the team that finished highest in the league?

The team that finished higher (before the play-off's) host the second match.

And are their still tickets for the GP the previous night?

Yeah, but only for the unnumbered seats at the backstraight and second bend (95 zl).

Looks like Emil has declared himself fit for tommorrow

Lovely to see him back. He has been sorely missed. Alan.