British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
25yearfan

Buxton V Mildenhall Sunday July 18th

Todays EADT reports that this Sundays scheduled NL match between Buxton Hitmen and the

Mildenhall Fen Tigers has been postponed due to the ownership changes taking place at Mildenhall speedway!

Lets hope that Mildenhall haven't got problems.

We know. That's why there's a thread for Buxton vs IOW... :rolleyes:

Its public knowledge that Ray Mascall has decided to sell the Fen Tigers following the death of his wife, Jean.

From the Mildenhall website, there appears to have been a hang up in the ongoing purchase but it seems that it is still on.

My own personal feeling is that speedway will continue at Mildenhall, with Dave Coventry (the stadium owner)taking over and possibly individuals close to the club (John Bailey, Clerk of the course, would be an example) running it on Sundays for him. The way I see it, its in Mr Coventry's interests to keep the speedway open because it will make money for him from gate receipts, bar takings (lets not forget that Mr Barton is a regular :o:D ) and the fish and chip shop. He might end up with less than the amount of rent he is currently getting, but providing it is making enough to ensure that any hassle or workload it creates is worth it, I'll be surprised (and obviously very disappointed indeed) if it closes.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

bar takings (lets not forget that Mr Barton is a regular :o:D )

I resemble that remark

Would be a great shame were Mildenhall to fold, ironically in a season when a very good side has been put together, after it was kept running with such weak tmade eams in recent seasons. Great strides forward have been made in terms of the competiveness and therefore entertainment value in the last third of last season and then again this year. I'm a little surprised that the management of the club seem unable to rally round and keep it running at least until season's end - I thought John Adams had a co-promoters licence which may have made that a possibility.

Obviously, you'd like to believe there's someone out there willing to step in and save it - although these are tough times financially, which reduces the likelihood of that and Mildenhall have been in this position far too many times in recent seasons. I guess ultimately, it comes down to Dave Coventry and whether he feels its worthwhile keeping Speedway running at the stadium.

Edited by neil3065

In todays EADT it reports that Mildenhall speedway are close to folding!

Worrying news indeed.

Which is in total contrast to an article in Friday's Bury Free Press!

all this needs sorting out apart fron the fact riders havent been paid its not good for team morale.being told crowds are down and the club is losing money etc.etc. is the last thing riders wanto here and now all this uncertainty. not good at all especially when we were on a roll.

Edited by villageidiot

I resemble that remark

Brilliant :approve::D

Would be a great shame were Mildenhall to fold, ironically in a season when a very good side has been put together, after it was kept running with such weak tmade eams in recent seasons. Great strides forward have been made in terms of the competiveness and therefore entertainment value in the last third of last season and then again this year.

That's the bit I don't get, Neil, and it makes you wonder what people want :( . While I recognise there is a recession on it is no worse than last year when, at the start of the season, we had a poor track surface and a weak team but higher gates.

Ray & John have built a more than competitive side and, with Joe Evans doing the track, the standard of racing has improved significantly.

Fingers crossed for a favourable solution.

Taken from this Friday's Bury Free Press

MILDENHALL Fen Tigers fans have been assured there is light at the end of the tunnel – as Dave Coventry prepares to seal a rescue package for the troubled club this weekend.

The West Row club's 35-year history looked destined to come to a shuddering halt at the start of the week, after chairman Ray Mascall handed over control of the Tigers to the British Speedway Promoter's Association.

As a result, this Sunday's National League away fixture against Buxton was promptly postponed, as the West Suffolk outfit faced a race against time to assemble a full squad of riders.

However, Mildenhall Stadium owner Coventry – who is locked in negotiations with Mascall and National League co-ordinator Peter Morris – has emerged as the favourite prospect buyer and he aims to complete the deal within the next couple of days. A swift change in hands would ensure that no further meetings are postponed.

"I am confident that a deal can be agreed very soon," said Coventry, who bought Mildenhall Stadium from James Waters in 2008. "The club has a long and interesting history and it would not be fair on the fans if they were to lose their local speedway team.

"No fee has been agreed yet. I will need to negotiate that with Ray and see what we come up with together. The important thing here is the future of the sport."

Coventry, who has managed stock car racing at the sporting venue for 18 years, has been accused in the past of not being a speedway supporter.

But, the 55-year-old insists this is not the case: "It is true that I like my stock cars, but I am a motorsport fan and speedway comes within that bracket.

"If a deal is struck, I will pull the team together and safeguard the future of the Tigers."

Mascall, who has been a Tigers supporter since 1977, decided to sell the club after his wife, Jean, died two months ago.

"Jean was a massive Tigers fan and I bought the club, mainly as a gift for her," said Mascall. "She was my life and when she died, I knew I had lost the heart to carry on as chairman."

The off-the-track troubles have served as an unwelcome distraction for the Tigers as they bid to lift the National League title for the first time.

Currently fourth in the table, the in-form Fenmen look set to clinch an end of season play-off berth after sealing eight wins from their opening 11 meetings

all this needs sorting out apart fron the fact riders havent been paid its not good for team morale.being told crowds are down and the club is losing money etc.etc. is the last thing riders wanto here and now all this uncertainty. not good at all especially when we were on a roll.

Thats not good riders not being paid the promoter has had the money through the turnstiles so the riders should be paid straight away after all they are the ones putting on the show for us supporters what i see of things the promoter does not have a clue

Thats not good riders not being paid the promoter has had the money through the turnstiles so the riders should be paid straight away after all they are the ones putting on the show for us supporters what i see of things the promoter does not have a clue

Yes, rider's should be paid with priority.

However, the crowds aren't large, riders wages aren't the only expenses there are, and to be honest, none of us know what happens behind the scenes, so doesn't exactly give us the right to say they don't have a clue.

Mildenhall has struggled for years under various managements, main reason being financial as far as I've seen without big enough crowds to make it overly profitable, if at all! (If I'm wrong, please, correct me.) Insulting those that try and run it for your entertainment hardly does any good, does it? It certainly doesn't encourage anyone to take it over. In all honesty if I'd been considering taking it over and read that, I'd think stuff it.

And don't get me wrong, I enjoy my visits down the road to West Rowe, and I hope someone can make a go-er of it. I'm fully aware forums are to express your opinion, but if you can't do it politely, sometimes I think it's best to keep your opinion to yourself.

Give them a pen and they feel they've got a licence to put whatever slant on it they want, Phil!

Are Mildehall riders at liberty to find new clubs, even for the short term ?