British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SteveEvans

Americans Back In The Fall (autumn)

Work is progressing on a new race tour by American riders this autumn. It will not be under the Dream Team banner as there are some differences in the structure and the Dream Team name is for tours that are exclusively for young riders.

The working title for the team is the 'American Touring Team.' So far 13 riders have expressed interest and the next week or two should see which riders are seriously aboard. It is hoped that the touring 7 riders will race at two levels - ideally there are three meetings at Premier League level and three at Natioanl. For the PL level meetings 2 guest heatleaders will be added and the teams will possibly be expanded to 9 riders with the 8 and 9 of eacch team racing each other three times, giving an 18 heat show.

Eight tracks have expressed interest in staging matches and they are from all levels of current competition. The team will fly in around October 3 and stay for just over two weeks.

Whilst there are young riders on the shortlist, the objective will be building a strong team that can do justice in the higher level meetings. One of the riders who is on the shortlist is a former British League rider who has not raced in the UK in over a decade but is still a very accomplished racer.

More details soon.

Edited by SteveEvans

Steve, the Ryder Cup is on in Newport at the time of the dream team tour, maybe yourself and the Newport Management could get together and arrange a meeting during the cup weekend.

Newport will be full of Americans that weekend and with a bit of publicilty and maybe liase with the Celtic Manor - advertise the meeting as an International involving the USA and the place could well get a bumper crowd.

It's a great idea and Steve Mallett mentioned this to us last year. Main problem is we cannot leave until 2nd October at the soonest as the US Nationals are on October 1st so we will be in the air on Rider Cup weekend.

I'm sure the mighty heathens would like a challenge match,could be good preparation for play offs and final.

It's a great idea and Steve Mallett mentioned this to us last year. Main problem is we cannot leave until 2nd October at the soonest as the US Nationals are on October 1st so we will be in the air on Rider Cup weekend.

Thanks for the reply Steve, it's a pity the dates didn't coincide.

Maybe Newport could stage a special meeting involving the Americans based here ? A four team event perhaps, GB v Australia V Sweden V USA at PL level

Edited by father jack

Would be good to see an American team at Rye to take on the Rockets. Although unlikely, it would be fantastic to see someone like Sudden Sam Ermolenko don the kevlars for a few meetings for the US team, I know he did/was planning to have a few match races with Ryan Fisher at Michal Makovsky's testimonial this season and he rode at Rye in Chris Neath's testimonial, looking pretty smooth in a few match races with the late Rob Woffinden and Neathy himself in one race I believe.

With the 9 man formula, something along the lines of the following would be interesting:

1. Ermolenko

2. Castro

3. Kerr

4. Ingalls

5. Fisher

6. Burmeister

7. Novratil

8. Gomez

9. Abbott

Of course, i'm sure any combination of riders would be good to see, the Dream Team's visit to Rye earlier this season was highly entertaining an a great meeting.

Nice team there! The two guest riders by the way will be preferably Americans but need to hold positions one and five so we have some none American who also may stand in. Three of the nine are on the shortlist of 13 to fly in, 2 of the Uk based oned are preferred guests!

One of the riders who is on the shortlist is a former British League rider who has not raced in the UK in over a decade but is still a very accomplished racer.

Charlie Venegas?

Mike Faria?

Am I close?

You can keep guessing the mystery former British League rider if you like. Note no guarentee he will make it over but he is very keen to meet up with his old team mates and possibly even race at his former track.

rats its not bruce or bobby then :wink: it will good to see the dream team again tho.very entertaining at brum this year.we need revenge tho :)

Work is progressing on a new race tour by American riders this autumn. It will not be under the Dream Team banner as there are some differences in the structure and the Dream Team name is for tours that are exclusively for young riders.

Greetings Steve... I spoke to your old school pal Chris at work who mentioned you may be coming down south, possibly to Lakeside?... Unfortunately I had to miss your visit to Rye House this year, but the reports I had were that your guys were great entertainment... I'll definitely be looking to come to see the side if they appear down at either Rye House or Lakeside and sample that weird Black Country/Californian accent!!! :D

Edited by Shadders

Venues are being worked on as we speak. Want to get to as many new venues as possible.

Would anyone like to guess who will be on the team? Requests??

Sounds like my cue!!

Bryan Yarrow,Tommy Heddon, Bart Bast, Mike Faria, Brad Pappalardo, John Marquez,Phillip Harmutiuk,Rick Valdez,Steve Eussell,Russell Green, Bryce Starks, Alex Marcucci, Ben Essary etc etc ......