British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Whose Idea Was It To Use Kings Lynn ?!?

regardless of where it was last night was a great night for british speedway seeing happy faces walking out of a stadium which was packed going to work the next day telling people about what they saw can only be good news. kings lynn is tucked away and not that easy to get to but the show was promoted right at the right price. I havent been there since the late 80's but if the track produces that sort of racing every week i would welcome a return visit next easter to watch a stars witches derby meeting. credit to the kings lynn promotion apart from the parking in the field opposite (which was free by the way unlike peterborough last year!)which took a age to get out of i enjoyed it.

You say World Class riders ride in the Elite League, 60% of the Grand Prix riders do not ride in the Elite League, and there many more that are on the fringes of the Grand Prix do ride in the Elite.

The numbers have been falling steadily over recent years, and I think that it will conitnue to fall.

For a whole range of reasons, of which the amount travelling is one of the more prominent, there will always be continental riders who chose not to ride over here. That does not alter the fact that the Elite League is where the top riders are to be seen as far as this country is concerned, and without the EL, speedway in this country would come close to disappearing.

When I refer to World class riders I am using the term in a much wider sense then simply GP riders. On last night performance non GP riders such as Stead,Schlein, Batchelor and Davidsson have to be classed as world class on the basis that they held there own in world class competition, which is more than can be said for Daniel Nermark for example.

It may work the other way and encourage them to take the plunge.....Buster has already described last night as incredible on local radio and perhaps he might fancy a few more night like that in the EL in future?

I respect your opinion and you obviously know your speedway but are you really so blind that you can't see why clubs are loathe to move up? If the EL got its house in order and made the step up more attractive you may well get your wish. Which I actually share....a much more stable EL product at Lynn every Wednesday would be great.

Why are teams loathe to go up ? because there are no rewards to that the whole point about giving Pl teams events like this .

As i said before i quite understand why Teams Like Kl don't want to move up ..and giving them no reason to it's never going to happen .

Why are teams loathe to go up ? because there are no rewards to that the whole point about giving Pl teams events like this .

As i said before i quite understand why Teams Like Kl don't want to move up ..and giving them no reason to it's never going to happen .

Absolutely spot on Orion. Untill the powers that be give the PL clubs an incentive to come up it will never happen, because basically they can't afford to! Simples

Exactly

I agree with much of what is being said by SS.

I am going to have a lay down. :D

there will always be continental riders who chose not to ride over here.

Some of them even live in the UK...

Niamh

Why are teams loathe to go up ?

Extra costs (especially in a recession)

Foreign riders missing fixtures as they are riding in their own country

Disjointed fixtures due to GP's, SWC, World Championship qualifiers

Facilities handed out on a whim

Lack of variety (which a few clubs moving up would obviously solve)

Average fixing (allegedly)

They would be my guess, The promoters at Lynn, Rye House, Brum, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Sheffield would give you better answers though I'm sure.

I don't for one minute think the PL is perfect cos its not. I would love to see my team in the EL but there are obviously a good reasons why the EL has only been nine teams strong for nearly ten years now. And you're not telling me its because Rye, Sheffield and Lynn have hosted one FIM meeting each in that time?

Edited by Bagpuss

Why does the EL survive ? Only because certain people who love the sport are prepared to spend huge sums of money supporting it rather than the soft option to drop down to a lower league where the overheads are less. To that extent it is only fair that people like Rick Frost who was reported to have spent over £100,000 on Peterboro last year, including improving the faclities should get preference over a PL club even if the SWC was at EOES last year, assuming he wants it of course.

I can see your point of view. If Peterborough could move in some temp grandstands etc it would be a great venue, that is the thing that let's it down. Of course it would be the EOES who got the money for the hiring of the venue though ............

I can see your point of view. If Peterborough could move in some temp grandstands etc it would be a great venue, that is the thing that let's it down. Of course it would be the EOES who got the money for the hiring of the venue though ............

Look how temp stands transformed Poole in 2004, superb arena. I would have to agree with Peterbourgh. Then i would have to also agree we put on a tremendous show in 2004.

Extra costs (especially in a recession)

Foreign riders missing fixtures as they are riding in their own country

Disjointed fixtures due to GP's, SWC, World Championship qualifiers

Facilities handed out on a whim

Lack of variety (which a few clubs moving up would obviously solve)

Average fixing (allegedly)

They would be my guess, The promoters at Lynn, Rye House, Brum, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Sheffield would give you better answers though I'm sure.

I don't for one minute think the PL is perfect cos its not. I would love to see my team in the EL but there are obviously a good reasons why the EL has only been nine teams strong for nearly ten years now. And you're not telling me its because Rye, Sheffield and Lynn have hosted one FIM meeting each in that time?

Bagpuss i unrstand why teams don't want to go up and I don't blame them ....but there is no other sport i n the world that teams want to be a second divsion club rather than being in the top league ....the point is that Speedway has to make the Top league the place to be and for that to happen the rewards must be there for the teams to step up .....Giving Pl teams events like this it not going to help .

Well SS...what can I say........other than I have rarely heard such inward looking narrow minded drivel.........

Yes I go to Kings Lynn fairly regularly but I also have the misfortune of watching EL speedway every Monday night and cannot remember the last time i watched a decent meeting. The tracks often look under prepared with riders not seeming happy. I think last nights track was a credit to Speedway with some excellent hard close racing.

Was it an advantage to the Aussies.....hardly...yes darcy ward was with us last season but quality riders will always be able to race on quality surfaces....

And SS...watch out next year...I think it is GBs turn for the SWC final.....and my money will be on Kings Lynn to rightly stage it....watch this space.........

Bagpuss i unrstand why teams don't want to go up and I don't blame them ....but there is no other sport i n the world that teams want to be a second divsion club rather than being in the top league ....the point is that Speedway has to make the Top league the place to be and for that to happen the rewards must be there for the teams to step up .....Giving Pl teams events like this it not going to help .

I can certainly see your point mate but for me the other factors I mentioned need fixing first to encourage teams up.

I'd be interested to know how much input the BSPA / SCB have in which British track hosts SWC events.

And SS...watch out next year...I think it is GBs turn for the SWC final.....and my money will be on Kings Lynn to rightly stage it....watch this space.........

No chance, on both counts!! ;)

...watch out next year...I think it is GBs turn for the SWC final.....and my money will be on Kings Lynn to rightly stage it....watch this space.........

Hmm, and there's me with tickets booked for Gorzow. I'll just watch the space between your ears, Mike.

Regarding the PL-EL situation; from what I've seen in the UK you've got a load of old, tired stadia with poor spectator facilities; a Health & Safety Nightmare; grass growing on the terraces; public conveniences I wouldn't let my dog use; poor quality food & beverage stalls and a definite attitude problem from staff. Places like the Norfolk Arena are a shining light compared to some of these. People saying Lynn's hard to get to haven't been to the Swedish GP yet.