British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Golden Joker! - Poll And Discussions…

Do you think the Golden Joker is a good idea?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Golden Joker is a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

John Perrin said last night that Belle Vue did not vote for the Joker, do you think we will now have a host of clubs saying "Not me gov"

John Perrin said last night that Belle Vue did not vote for the Joker, do you think we will now have a host of clubs saying "Not me gov"

Well he is being more forthcoming than the Edinburgh Promoter who is hiding behind the "such things are confidential" excuse when asked about how he voted on this issue :angry:

The way he goes on, you think we were dealing with a Freemasons meeting, but then again the silly handshakes would complement the silly rule changes :mad:

Well he is being more forthcoming than the Edinburgh Promoter who is hiding behind the "such things are confidential" excuse when asked about how he voted on this issue :angry:

Well Edinburgh's own Monty Burns defended the stupid rules so vehamently I would be very surprised if he didn't vote for for them.

The same promoter has been quick enough in the past to blame the Southern promotors for unpopular rules.

I thought the comments made by CVS were most insulting. He basically said that those who disagreed with him were like stuffy old die hard Cricket fans, not accepting things, like new fangled one day Cricket.

Quite frankly, I think CVS is a weak chairman who simply goes with the prevailing opinion, but then recants whenever the daft idea that he supported goes wrong. He's done it on so many occasions now, what with the half-baked restrictions on GP riders, doubling-up/down riders, and now the jokers. No doubt he'll be telling us next year what a bad idea they were.

Moving onto comparisons with cricket, at least the game itself has been played according to the same rules for more than 100 years. I think the last significant change in the laws was a modification of the LBW rule in the early-1970s, and it's only the duration of the games (i.e. number of overs) that tends to vary. You certain don't have joker batsman coming out and scoring double runs when their team is behind!

Well he is being more forthcoming than the Edinburgh Promoter who is hiding behind the "such things are confidential" excuse when asked about how he voted on this issue  :angry:

The way he goes on, you think we were dealing with a Freemasons meeting, but then again the silly handshakes would complement the silly rule changes  :mad:

A bit harsh Cyclone. Are you saying we the ordinary speedway fan and joe public should be privy to what actually happens at a closed meeting.

As I said on the Monarchs ChatZone it doesn't happen in other businesses so why do you think we would hear about it in speedway.

I use the word business because first and foremost whether we like it or not a great deal of people's money is invested in clubs therefore it is run primarily as a business first, sport second.

BTW I don't see other promoters coming on to a fans board to answer question like JDC does. Whether we happen to like the answers or not is irrelevant.

BTW I don't see other promoters coming on to a fans board to answer question like JDC does. Whether we happen to like the answers or not is irrelevant.

In the interests of fair play, can't let the Monarchs take all the credit. Laurence Rogers (Main Man) does post on here and the Lynn forum. He is selective in what he answers tho :P

Jon Cook at Eastbourne hosted his second live chat last week.

Well he is being more forthcoming than the Edinburgh Promoter who is hiding behind the "such things are confidential" excuse when asked about how he voted on this issue  :angry:

The way he goes on, you think we were dealing with a Freemasons meeting, but then again the silly handshakes would complement the silly rule changes  :mad:

A bit harsh Cyclone. Are you saying we the ordinary speedway fan and joe public should be privy to what actually happens at a closed meeting.

As I said on the Monarchs ChatZone it doesn't happen in other businesses so why do you think we would hear about it in speedway.

I use the word business because first and foremost whether we like it or not a great deal of people's money is invested in clubs therefore it is run primarily as a business first, sport second.

First of all you seem to have ignored that John Campbell has not answered the question, so we cannot say whether or not we like his reply !

See no reason why John Campbell cannot declare how Edinburgh voted on this issue. After all you could find out through public sources how your MP voted on an important national issue.

On the Monarchs Chatzone, John Campbell answers what suits him, and even tried to stifle the guy who wishes to raise a national petition on this subject, as you well know. ;)

He even made a snide comment about John Lowe's site being "Official" on the Chatzone, purely because of John's protests on this topic, as you also know. ;)

If John Perrin can go public on how he voted on this issue, ask the Edinburgh Co-Promoter what is preventing him from doing likewise ?.

As you will now be aware other Promoters keep their fans informed by other means also.

At least on this site, informed debate of contrasting opinions is tolerated, instead of being expected to toe the Promotion's party line with sycophantic comments ;)

Edited by cyclone

He even made a snide comment about John Lowe's site being "Official"  on the Chatzone, purely because of John's protests on this topic, as you also know.  ;)

Shades of 1984 and Animal Farm. John Campbell is trying to rewrite history. I can't say it surprises me much.

The background on the Official Edinburgh Website is as follows:

I was recruited by David Murray in 1997, who ran the first Monarchs' Official website, to write match reports. Along with Mike Hunter, Geoff Chandler and Davis Murray |i helped with the site until David Murray took ill and updates stopped in mid season.

We decided to produce an unofficial Website for the 1998 season but were approached by Alex Harkess and Mike Hunter to run an official site.

We inherited most of the content from the David Murray site including Geoff Chandler's Round the Bend archives and Mike Hunter's collection of images of programme front pages. Geoff continued to contribute to the site for another two or three years before his interest in speedway waned.

Over the six seasons from 1998 to 2003 the term Official Edinburgh Website was used and was never challenged by anyone. From time to time I was asked to 'pull' or rewite articles that other promotions did not like.

Mr Campbell has a very selective memory. Pehaps he can't remember how he voted at the conference?

First of all you seem to have ignored that John Campbell has not answered the question, so we cannot say whether or not we like his reply !

See no reason why John Campbell cannot declare how Edinburgh voted on this issue. After all you could find out through public sources how your MP voted on an important national issue.

On the Monarchs Chatzone, John Campbell answers what suits him, and even tried to stifle the guy who wishes to raise a national petition on this subject, as you well know.  ;)

He even made a snide comment about John Lowe's site being "Official"  on the Chatzone, purely because of John's protests on this topic, as you also know.  ;)

If John Perrin can go public on how he voted on this issue, ask the Edinburgh Co-Promoter what is preventing him from doing likewise ?.

As you will now be aware other Promoters  keep their fans informed by other means also.

At least on this site, informed debate of contrasting opinions is tolerated, instead of being expected to toe the Promotion's party line with sycophantic comments  ;)

I have not ignored it Cyclone. It is one of many questions he was asked. How he chooses to answer them is his business.

John Campbell is no different to any other person who votes. If he doesn't want to declare how Edinburgh voted again that is up to him. I don't happen to like that but how do you make people tell you what they did?

Plenty of snide remarks have gone on on the board Cyclone as well you know seeing as you were part of some of it.

Please don't assume you know what goes on concerning the running of the Chatzone. It has nothing to do with the Edinburgh promotion and don't ever accuse me of toe-ing the promotions' party line in an attempt to gain favour from them :angry: As far as the Chatzone goes we have no ties with the promotion, nor have we ever sought any. You mention the man who was "stifled" according to what you have said, as far as I am concerned we didnt restrict what he was saying in any form what so ever. He still was able to post what he wanted and is still a member. There is just as much free debate on the Chatzone as there is here, but unlike here we have members of the promotion who will put their views forward.

I think your anger is simply due to the fact that JDC doesnt see the problem like you do, consequently you dont like him trying to defend it. That happens within any debate, and the Chatzone is exactly the same. We try to ensure that everyone has a chance to put their views across and that applies to fans and promotion, however there is a responsibilty on everyone to be fair to all posters. Calling people plonkers and bad mouthing others elsewhere gets everyone nowhere.

I dont like the joker rule any more then you do but at the end of the day it's Johns decision what he says in relation to the BSPA.

Edited by Midnight_Lady

Plenty of snide remarks have gone on on the board Cyclone as well you know seeing as you were part of some of it.

Please don't assume you know what goes on concerning the running of the Chatzone. It has nothing to do with the Edinburgh promotion and don't ever accuse me of toe-ing the promotions' party line in an attempt to gain favour from them :angry:  As far as the Chatzone goes we have no ties with the promotion, nor have we ever sought any. You mention the man who was "stifled" according to what you have said, as far as I am concerned we didnt restrict what he was saying in any form what so ever. He still was able to post what he wanted and is still a member. There is just as much free debate on the Chatzone as there is here, but unlike here we have members of the promotion who will put their views forward.

I think your anger is simply due to the fact that JDC doesnt see the problem like you do, consequently you dont like him trying to defend it. That happens within any debate, and the Chatzone is exactly the same. We try to ensure that everyone has a chance to put their views across and that applies to fans and promotion, however there is a responsibilty on everyone to be fair to all posters. Calling people plonkers and bad mouthing others elsewhere gets everyone nowhere.

I dont like the joker rule any more then you do but at the end of the day it's Johns decision what he says in relation to the BSPA.

You really should read things more carefully ML before responding. :unsure:

If you like to reread my response re stifling, you will see it refers to John Campbell's actions, not of those running the Chatzone.

I'm afraid to disappoint you ML, but I never called Mr C a plonker, though I must admit I am not as sensitive as yourself when this term was used in the context it was.

Likewise as my identity on this board should not be known to you, unless you are surreptitiously ferreting Forum members id's (touch of 1984 perhaps :mad: ), which is highly improper, how can you accuse me of making snide remarks elsewhere ? :shock:

Edited by cyclone

You really should read things more carefully ML before responding. :unsu.........

I'm afraid to disappoint you ML, but I never called Mr C a plonker, though I must admit I am not as sensitive as yourself when this term was used in the context it was.......

Likewise as my identity on this board should not be known to you, unless you are surreptitiously ferreting Forum members id's (touch of 1984 perhaps :mad: ), which is highly improper, how can you accuse me of making snide remarks elsewhere ? :shock:

So should you Cyclone. I never accused you of calling John Campbell a plonker. It was a general comment. Whether I take exception to it is neither here nor there.

Firstly you call me a sycophant then accuse me of "surreptitiously ferreting Forum members id's" I think there is a touch of paranoia here. I merely can see the same style of posting on both boards.

End of story as far as I am concerned.

Well ML interesting that you do not refer to the following utterance from yourself:-

"Plenty of snide remarks have gone on on the board Cyclone as well you know seeing as you were part of some of it."

Please enlighten everyone as to what hard facts you have to support your allegation, or else do the decent thing and apologise for your unfounded statement.

Rest assured I do not suffer from paranoia, nor am I initimidated by wee bully girls :D

Guest Stobart

Whilst I agree that this stupid innovation makes a mockery of our sport (?) we are probably getting hypertensive without any real need.

Come November and the Braindead Stupid Pratts Association (aka BSPA) will probably scrap it in favour of something even more slapstick! :sad:

As the Good Book says 'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof!

Jaz.