British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Golden Joker! - Poll And Discussions…

Do you think the Golden Joker is a good idea?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Golden Joker is a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

A couple of my mates came down for a KOC meeting last year and trying to explain the Joker rules to them was embarassing. Good to see the fans being listened to after, as far as I'm aware, about 90% thought it was a terrible idea and I would have thought from what I read that over half the promoters thought the same thing???

Even Leeds United supporters must be laughing about the shambles the top men in speedway are creating. What a ridiculous bunch or idiots, this has to go down as the most outrageous level of ignorance seen in sport since...no can't think of anything else up there???

Self moderated outburst to finish - "What a load of ******* **** **** ******* ******* dogs ***** ****".

Self moderated outburst to finish - "What a load of ******* **** **** ******* ******* dogs ***** ****".

Oy Shoddy! Leave Dogs out of it. They are much too intelligent and lovely animals to be mentioned in that sentence.

I agree with the rest of it though. :P

Exactly Shoddy. People can talk as much as they like about it being fair/keeping the scores close etc. It's the sheer embarassment and credibility of the sport that is the real issue here as far as I am concerned.

You can hide team building, guests etc. from first time spectators to a certain extent, but there's no hiding from this one.

Oy Shoddy! Leave Dogs out of it. They are much too intelligent and lovely animals to be mentioned in that sentence.

I agree with the rest of it though. :P

I think you'll find that the part of the dogs anatomy that I was referring to is most adequate in this context!

speedwayplus.co.uk

Some of the rules aren't a bad idea,I quite like the 'Here Come the Belgians' one  :D

This one made me laugh out loud (my Dad was Belgian and we always had a good laugh at it's a knockout!)....Thank you for the link :D:lol::lol:

Edited by JayEmm

To Non Speedway people, potential new Fans, and casual Fans, the "JOKER" means something to them, were the " Tactical Substitute" does not. The TS rule is very much an Internal Speedway term, and is not recognisable to folk on the fringes of the Sport. Thats my opinion anyway.

To Non Speedway people, potential new Fans, and casual Fans, the "JOKER" means something to them, were the " Tactical Substitute" does not. The TS rule is very much an Internal Speedway term, and is not recognisable to folk on the fringes of the Sport. Thats my opinion anyway.

So if I ask a non-speedway fan what a 'joker' is in speedway terms they will know what that means, but wouldn't know what a 'tac sub' is?

Sorry, can't agree on that one. Neither term will mean 'jacksh1t' outside of speedway circles.

:wink::P

As I said I actually had the experience of watching a KOC match last year with friends who were not into speedway and the Crazy Joker rule was pretty hard to explain.

Not only is it a joke but the real outrage is that nearly all fans didn't like it but they have brought it in to everything anyway.

When are the people at the top going to get their heads out of their backsides and listen to the paying public?

Unless it improves the sport then just leave well alone.

Any news in the speedway star regarding what the promoters think? They must have realised by now that some people are not happy.

At the very least 'joker' suggests some kind of comedy element. something not to be taken seriously.

Spot on Speedy-Star :lol::lol:

Any news in the speedway star regarding what the promoters think? They must have realised by now that some people are not happy.

According to SS, Uncle Len & El Tel were the main instigators of this change, which they are convinced will make meetings more close, as well as ensuring that all seven riders get a fairer share of available rides.

Mention was also made that newcomers to the Sport would be more amenable to this change, since they did not have the fixed mindset of existing supporters who know nothing better than tac subs.

Looks like there will be no reverse in their decision before the 2004 starts, I suspect, unless most Promoters experience a severe downturn in advance sales of season tickets. :(

If opposition to this ruling is so vehement and people think strongly enough against it, the only way to force a change is to vote with your feet and hit the promoters where it hurts most...in their pocketss. Don't go to the matches....demonstrate outside making the promoters VERY aware of the reasons why no-one is going through the turnstiles..bet your money after 3 or 4 weeks of that, the rule would be swiftly dropped. Whilst everyone is happy to moan but still keep going through the turnstiles, the promoters will each offer soothing platitudes but nothing will be done, precdent will be set, and the GD will be the accepted part of speedway for the future. Discuss......

I thought the comments made by CVS were most insulting. He basically said that those who disagreed with him were like stuffy old die hard Cricket fans, not accepting things, like new fangled one day Cricket.

Well fans do accept changes, we have to accept them every season as something new is tried! It is just when the changes end up making the sport look down right silly, such as the 'Knockout Joker' ruling, it is hard to accept. Giving points to team just because they are behind, without having to earn them, is not sport. Allowing a substitue to take the place of another team member is an accepted part of sport. I know sport is entertainment, but if it is not true sport then it ceases to become entertainment to me.

Edited by Trevor

I thought the comments made by CVS were most insulting. He basically said that those who disagreed with him were like stuffy old die hard Cricket fans, not accepting things, like new fangled one day Cricket.

Well fans do accept changes, we have to accept them every season as something new is tried! It is just when the changes end up making the sport look down right silly, such as the 'Knockout Joker' ruling, it is hard to accept. Giving points to team just because they are behind, without having to earn them, is not sport. Allowing a substitue to take the place of another team member is an accepted part of sport. I know sport is entertainment, but if it is not true sport then it ceases to become entertainment to me.

I read the comments today and thought exactly the same thing, both in terms of his remarks being offensive and the point that changes are made every year. Giving points to a team just because they are behind sums it up perfectly.

Edited by Grachan

If they're so desperate to keep the score close, and cut costs, why don't they call it even over 14 heats and just ride heat 15 as a decider...oh no that's right...can't...haven't got enough heat leaders left to ride in heat 15 any more. :mad::mad::mad:

:wink::P