British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
philfromcov

Olympic Stadium Gp 2013?

having just seen the Olympic stadium on the tele this morning, it looks like a large Torun.

would make a great venue especially as its an oval and not a football square.

could be good for the sport being in the capital rather than a "backwater" ... as far as london centric Tv i mean.

have only been to the east end of london once, and have decided never to return can you "polish a turd?"

I thought West Ham Utd were taking over the stadium once the main event is all over.

I thought West Ham Utd were taking over the stadium once the main event is all over.

West Ham are bidding to get in there, but far from certain. I think the site is pledged to remain an Athletics facility (that was part of the bid), which doesn't fit with West Ham's plans. Lot of lobbying going on.

There are other stadium/facilities on site which would be more suited to Speedway.

Tottenham placed a bid to play there yesterday and AEG als want it.

getting to the olympic stadium would take me 15 minutes - I would still rather go to Cardiff. I'm sure the stadium will be top notch but the area is a S**** hole!

Who owns Upton Park?

I think Cardiff is perfect for the GP, the stadium is right in the middle of the city next to the train station and I hope it stays there rather than move to anywhere in London.

I'd be surprised if Manchester City didn't make a bid for it. LOL

They can stick a GP in it if they want, but I'm bloody sure I wouldn't be going. Cardiff is perfect, all the City is available to visitors right next to the Stadium, who the hell would want to spend a day in the east end of London!?! :blink:

Who owns Upton Park?

What is Upton Park?

The Boleyn Ground is where West Ham Umited play sadly few actually know that. Upton Park is an areaof East London with a post code of E6 E13 and E7 thus owned by no one. Predominantly now Asian it is a pretty run down area. The Football Ground called The Boleyn Ground was once owned by the Catholic Church but is now wholly owned by West Ham United FC. As a piece of commercial land it is worth very little.

The running track is the main stumbling block preventing West Ham moving in to Stratfod but the word is that they will do so with the running track being covered with seats during games. However Seb Coe would undoubtabely stick his nose in if he felt some greasy motorbike types wanted to use his track and there sadly lies the problem. The area isn't anymore of a Sh**hole than Cardiff and I think it's an insult to the local populatiion for someone to say it is.

Why speedway would want to go there when Cardiff can't be filled I don't know. Many better sites around for an English GP but Mr BSI clearly isn't interested

They can stick a GP in it if they want, but I'm bloody sure I wouldn't be going. Cardiff is perfect, all the City is available to visitors right next to the Stadium, who the hell would want to spend a day in the east end of London!?! :blink:

Have you ever been to East London? Canary Wharf for instance. Be more respectful to to people who are the salt of the earth. Whats the matter with you?

Edited by westhamboy66

Have you ever been to East London? Canary Wharf for instance. Be more respectful to to people who are the salt of the earth. Whats the matter with you?

You miss my point, I never said anything about the people of East London did I, I'm sure that most are as you say 'salt of the earth'. It is simply not somewhere I want to spend a weekend, I personally do not particularly enjoy London at all, too busy, too much hustle, I prefer Cardiff, the place is just more laid back. And no I have not visited Canary Warf, and I will not be visiting it in the future either, why would I.

Edited by Beeone

I think the site is pledged to remain an Athletics facility (that was part of the bid), which doesn't fit with West Ham's plans.

The problem is that large athletics stadiums are white elephants, so the stadium either needs to be drastically reduced in size, or converted for use by a more popular sport. Either way, I can't see how speedway would fit into the plans... :blink:

This said, the site of the stadium is close enough to Central London to make it interesting enough for fans, and I'm sure the Olympic Park will have its attractions as well, just as Munich did for the 1989 World Final. Whilst Cardiff is a decent enough venue, I can't see why people get religious about the place.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby