British Speedway Forum
Mateusz

Swc Final, Vojens, 31/07/2010

From heat 6 gate 2 produced points of

3 - brilliant gollob ride

so we use the joker in heat 17. A clever decision from our team manager

great effort from the team. I've not seen a better ride than C.Harris in heat 20.

I've not seen a better ride than C.Harris in heat 20.

so if Harris would have made that 'never seen a better ride' when he was on a joker would you be saying it was a great decision?

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, maybe it was pressure got to Harris which then points it his way

Have to disagree, we have not made progress from where we have been the last 5 years and next year it will not be one step further, the same old suspects will ride for GB. If Australia had Crump riding we would not have beaten them at Lynn and we would have been in the race off, and we would not have gone through to the final from that. Next year barring injuries, Crump, Sayfutdinov and Nicky P will be back and we will be stuffed.

Very true we would struggled had those 3 been riding for their respective nations, but you can only beat the opposition put in front of you.

I think all in all, we did well last night. We were never going to win it but we didnt have a great deal of luck. Outside gastes in the 1st 4 heats, the joker gaining us zilch, but we in no way were a disgrace. Bomber was fantasic, Rico was impressive at times as was Tai. Scotty I thought rode his plums off for little reward, just didnt have the speed & poor old Steady didnt really have the chance to get going. Although in Rob's position probably would have made the same decisions.

At least we were at the races last night wich is more than we have done for a few years.

Seems to be a lot more positive vibes from the GB camp in general. let's hope it continues.

More importantly, what a cracking meeting...

Stead was way off the pace too.

I agree, such a difference to Saturday night when he looked to be on the pace.

It wasnt the worst decision & he made it consulting the whole team, can't really argue with that just a shame it didnt work out.

One question Mark. Who won heat 13 from gate 2?

From heat 6 gate 2 produced points of

3 - brilliant gollob ride

so we use the joker in heat 17. A clever decision from our team manager

great effort from the team. I've not seen a better ride than C.Harris in heat 20.

Hindsight is a truly wonderful thing.

To be fair to all concerned, it was a gamble that may have paid off.

I am afraid that the British Speedway team seem to suffer the same affliction as the England football team - travel sickness. Perhaps it is some kind of psychological block that they have when travelling that results in them being unable to perform to their best anywhere except when in their home country?

Well,it all sounds like it was a good meeting but we only got an hour of it!! Sky never changed the schedules on there listings so we didnt know it changed to Sky 1 after an hour.

Well done Sky,what a srap organisation you are!!!

Edited by gary moore

None of the Polish team race in Britain, so if anything they all have less competitive track time than most of the other riders featured in the final.
Not sure if you have noticed, but the Polish league teams have far fewer matches than British teams

So you're telling me they don't have 24 hour availability to their speedway only speedway tracks in Poland, club mechanics etc etc etc

Also, if the media are to be believed, the list of the highest paid riders in the World certainly includes riders well above several of the Polish team that raced in the SWC...

I wasn't really meaning the riders' personal wealth but the wealth of Polish speedway in general.

Hindsight is a truly wonderful thing.

To be fair to all concerned, it was a gamble that may have paid off.

And it would have paid off had Harris not changed his bike set up as he admitted after it!!!

Personally I think you should only represent the country of birth, until you have spent the majority of your life in another country. But in answer to above, not many sports but I think Greg Rusdeski represented Canada, France and then GB at tennis? At the moment the English cricket team has a player that has played for Ireland and now England.

You haven't looked very hard if you've not found other sports with countries using people born in other countries. And is that really all you could find in the England cricket team????

Let's look at this in real terms. GB scored 33 real points. Sweden also scored 33 real points. There, does that sound better.biggrin.gif

Makes no difference.

GB would still have bottled it at the end, as they did.

Yet again, got into a medal positions (2 up on Sweden) and bottled it.

Totally wrong attitudes once again from the off.

"We're aiming for bronze". They should be aiming to win, not likely, but that should still be their aim.

So you're telling me they don't have 24 hour availability to their speedway only speedway tracks in Poland, club mechanics etc etc etc

But... each rider riding in a Polish club is allowed to practice at the track of his club if he wants to and asks for such opportunity. It's not opened for the Poles only. Usually club authorities are more than happy if their foreign riders come over one or two days before another league match and practise.

For example, last Friday a few Torun riders (including Sullivan who's obviously not Polish) were practicing along with the Bydgoszcz boys at the Bydgoszcz track (there was some concert the day after in Torun so they couldn't use their track).

Generally speaking, Polish tracks are open for riders who ride in Polish leagues, sometimes it doesn't even have to mean their home tracks. It's just a matter of good will and some effort from the riders ... However, if young riders like Woffinden or Ward seem to prefer hanging around night clubs in Poland and doing silly things in the pits instead of concentrating on their job / practising then what you expect?

Maybe that's just my opinion but most British riders have never seemed to be taking speedway as serious as most riders from other nations. Who (out of the riders) usually leads in drinking at SWC/SGP weekends? - the Brits, some Aussies etc. While Gollob hasn't drunk at all since he became a professional speedway rider ... Being professional means dedication, such as pumping LOTS of money into your equipment (engines, tuners etc.), giving up partying hard, practising a lot etc.

So, some of you can think up 600 cc engine theories here (as I have read such) but I think that the Polish riders are simply the most professional ones at the moment, I mean this season, especially Gollob and Hampel. Rickardsson has always been the example, but I think this season both Poles are not (much) below his level.

Time to accept some order in the speedway world has changed a bit. And I think that after yesterday's win I can say that.

Edited by Mateusz