British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
STEVE5705

Greatest Come Back Of All Time

Yep we was there and with the score 31 - 16 at heat 8, we were ruminating on what a bit of a walkover it was and why we hadn't gone to Belle Vue instead. Being a Zenon Plech fan though was the reason I was there.

We even calculated what they had to do to beat the Dukes, which we dismissed out of hand, as it was unlikely they would get five 5 - 1's

Didn't even think they couldn't do it as there was no indication in the way the meeting was going it was ever likely to happen.

When they did, of course there were thoughts of subterfuge flying around, but really we just wrote it off as a strange state of affairs, that we hadn't seen happen before or think likely to happen again.

There was a similar meeting in 1975 when Scunthorpe were at home to Workington in the New National League.

It was on 18 August and after heat 7 the scoreline was Scunthorpe 29 Workington 13. After that Workington collected two 4-2s and four 5-1s to finish winners by 41 points to 37. Taffy Owen scored 16 points from 6 rides for Workington to spearhead the remarkable comeback, and Robbie Gardner, Lou Sansom and Terry Kelly all provided valuable support.

i remember stoke been 15 points down at long eaton in 1985 and winning 40 37.also in 1986 we were 22-8 down at hackney and eneed up winning 40 38.

The Ipswich comeback at Poole in I think 2002/3... cant remember exactly now.

16 down at the midway point and we came back to the win.

In the Ipswich team that day was Chris Louis, Craig Boyce and I think

Scott Nicholls.... I was in the pits and the look on the Pirates riders

faces was something else... :lol:

The Ipswich comeback at Poole in I think 2002/3... cant remember exactly now.

16 down at the midway point and we came back to the win.

In the Ipswich team that day was Chris Louis, Craig Boyce and I think

Scott Nicholls.... I was in the pits and the look on the Pirates riders

faces was something else... :lol:

Tomcat, it was in 2001 and it helped cost Poole the league title that season.

All the best

Rob

Next night Wimbledon won at Oxford.

...thanks to a last heat 5-1! I was there for that one.

Don't forget that Cup match against Poole, where we conceded four-5-1's in the first four heats, and came back to the draw! That was the night the fans were queueing up Plough Lane. The following week, there was a letter in the Speedway Star praising us Pit Bend Loonies for the way we supported our team! Those were the days...

Steve

I remember Hackney once winning a meeting by a point with a final heat 5-0. :shock: I think it was in the days of Andy Galvin, although I'm sure Bryn will know for definite. Is there any more instances of this happening?

All the best

Rob

I remember Hackney once winning a meeting by a point with a final heat 5-0. :shock: I think it was in the days of Andy Galvin, although I'm sure Bryn will know for definite. Is there any more instances of this happening?

All the best

Rob

i remember stoke winning 39-38 at rye house in the 1990's. if my memory serves me right stoke gated on a 5-1 in heat 15, kevin brice fell and mel taylor had ef in the rerun gifting the potters a 5-0 and the match! :shock:

i remember one of the first matches i went to,stoke v scunthorpe in 1980.stoke were 34 26 up at the end of heat ten and lost 40 38.two weeks later we were riding peterborough and were 33 27 up after heat 10 and lost 39 38,phil white got maximums in both meetings.

I remember Hackney once winning a meeting by a point with a final heat 5-0. icon_smile_shock.gif I think it was in the days of Andy Galvin, although I'm sure Bryn will know for definite. Is there any more instances of this happening?

Don't know if you're talking about that bloody "Pride of London" challenge at Plough Lane in 1989, Rob? We went into heat 16 47-43 ahead. The race was rerun without Neville Tatum after he went down with Galvin and Tagg INSIDE him. Then Galvin took Wiltshire's front wheel away BEFORE they even got to the first bend, and amazingly, the ref put Todd out!

Still angry after all these years...

Steve