British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Weymouth Vs. Tamworth Saxons

Here's a weird 'un on the fixture list for this Friday.. :shock:

So come on then, who's gonna be lining up for 'Tamworth'..? :unsure:

I didn't know that Tamworth were known as the Saxons. Wasn't that Hastings?

I can only remember them as the Hounds or Tammies

*edit* Just had a peek in a reference book.. Tamworth closed to speedway in 1950!!!

Tamworth Speedway

Edited by Shadders

I didn't know that Tamworth were known as the Saxons. Wasn't that Hastings?

I can only remember them as the Hounds or Tammies

*edit* Just had a peek in a reference book.. Tamworth closed to speedway in 1950!!!

Tamworth Speedway

if you can remember the 50's, shadders, you have obviously aged very well!

Press release with full details on the Wildcats website Wednesday evening :wink:

if you can remember the 50's, shadders, you have obviously aged very well!

Curry Sauce..the elixir of life :approve:

I will be managing the Saxons on friday night so let me tell you a bit about why I have chosen that name.

We have been thinking of bringing the Tamworth name back to life for a while now with the intention of starting something next year and working from there, however I was asked by Phil Bartlett last week to put together a team to fill a gap in Weymouth's fixture list. It was not viable to put together a Team Viking squad due to August being a busy period in Scandinavia so I decided to start the Tamworth project a year early.

Indeed the Tamworth side of the 50's were known as the "Hounds" and "Tammies" but we wanted something to relate to Tamworth history. Our original intention was to call them the "Mercians" as Tamworth was the ancient capital of the saxon kingdom of Mercia but unless you are a history buff most people would scratch their heads at that one so we have decided on the Saxons.

I wont publicly name our riders yet, we will wait for Weymouth to put out the press release but we can tell you we will have 3 exciting young Aussies and a recent British champion in the team.

Lets hope this is the first of many meetings for the Saxons.

Kelvin Lapworth

Edited by SarahLapworth

Sarah, we have some Guys from the Tamworth area working at our place, and the local Brummies call them "Sandybacks" i dont know why, maybe you could research it.

I will be managing the Saxons on friday night so let me tell you a bit about why I have chosen that name.

We have been thinking of bringing the Tamworth name back to life for a while now with the intention of starting something next year and working from there, however I was asked by Phil Bartlett last week to put together a team to fill a gap in Weymouth's fixture list. It was not viable to put together a Team Viking squad due to August being a busy period in Scandinavia so I decided to start the Tamworth project a year early.

Indeed the Tamworth side of the 50's were known as the "Hounds" and "Tammies" but we wanted something to relate to Tamworth history. Our original intention was to call them the "Mercians" as Tamworth was the ancient capital of the saxon kingdom of Mercia but unless you are a history buff most people would scratch their heads at that one so we have decided on the Saxons.

I wont publicly name our riders yet, we will wait for Weymouth to put out the press release but we can tell you we will have 3 exciting young Aussies and a recent British champion in the team.

Kelvin Lapworth

Good luck in your efforts to get Tamworth back in the sport, more names from the past the merrier.

Good luck with bringing Tamworth back, living in Atherstone it would be great to see a team just down the road. I have got some old Tamworth programmes as well from back in the day.

Good luck on Friday :)

Sarah, we have some Guys from the Tamworth area working at our place, and the local Brummies call them "Sandybacks" i dont know why, maybe you could research it.

Sandback refers to the Tamworth pig, a rare breed with, well, a sandy coloured back.

Kelvin Lapworth

Not to mention that there's a good symmetry betwen this 'Saxons' moniker and your other team being the 'Vikings'..

Good luck with this Kelvin - sounds good.. :approve:

If I be reassured by the Met Office that the weather will be fine I may well brave the holiday traffic and drive down for this one...

Sandback refers to the Tamworth pig, a rare breed with, well, a sandy coloured back.

The Tamworth Pigs it is then. :)

Press release with full details on the Wildcats website Wednesday evening :wink:

Any news on the line up yet? Whos this new Aussie another Jay Herne would be good :lol:

Any news on the line up yet? Whos this new Aussie another Jay Herne would be good :lol:

No, waiting for BSPA confirmation which should of come through today but didn't, so press release will probably be Friday morning as I'm at the IOW tomorrow.