British Speedway Forum

Jonesy was under 16 Australian Champion in 1999 - 11 years age - yet he's still only in the NL. Has he ever been asked to ride in the PL (genuine question)

Mark only returned to Speedway this last Downunder season after a few years out following a serious injury to his leg. Its amazing he can walk properly again, let alone ride.

if mark jones rode for any other club there would be a topic would there.i dont think so.as for tim webbers he is on the sick .so he as not lost his place in the team. if a rider is on the sick he cannot ride for 28 days

Not sure you've got the rules right there... Normally a rider is off sick until he's declared fit... You wouldn't stop a rider riding for 28 days if he was off with the flu or something. Normally the 28 days is put into place by a promoter to stop a rider from moving to another team...

somebody said on here about young britsh riders in the nl so why are nl clubs getting pl riders in. why not get young ones in because they want to win newport as one ex pl rider other teams havr two or more pl riders in there teams .so the ? why i though the nl was for young rider not pl riders who lost his place in the pl

They bent over backwards for "young gun" Sam Hurst in 2009, lending him bikes etc, they done everything for him, he used their van. And he through it back in their face. Why would they want to go through the same again?

I have stayed out of this topic because it involves Newport but that is an outright lie.

I have stayed out of this topic because it involves Newport but that is an outright lie.

Of course it is Vince. Anything your Sam does is never wrong.

Obviously Mark can't ride on a Youth Mobility visa...

Why not? Certainly not because of his age, as he's under 31.

As i see this,if you have a "youth mobility visa" or "holiday visa" as some call it,you cant ride in the NDL.proved by tyson nelson

Youth Mobility Visa and Holiday Visa are two different things. Tyson Nelson is too young to have a YMV. The Working Holiday Visa scheme appears to have ended in 2008. Unfortunately, the UKBA rules seem to be as easy to understand as those of the BSPA.

Why not? Certainly not because of his age, as he's under 31.

Youth Mobility Visa and Holiday Visa are two different things. Tyson Nelson is too young to have a YMV. The Working Holiday Visa scheme appears to have ended in 2008. Unfortunately, the UKBA rules seem to be as easy to understand as those of the BSPA.

Information from Borders Agency...and my interpretation is...

As a general visitor - aged 18 or over - must not be in employment nor involved in sports

As a sports visitor - not allowed to be in paid employment

As a temporary sports worker - must be at the highest level of your sport

Youth Mobility Scheme - Cannot apply if has previously held a Youth Mobility Visa. Not allowed to engage in a professional sport...

The UKBA (I think) uses laws - not rules - there are consequences for breaking these laws(?). I'm not sure whether a sportsperson can be banned from competing over here if he has previously been found to break these laws - and this is the point that worries me. It wouldn't affect a promoter who wanted a rider for one season - but it could ruin a riders career...

The UKBA site may be complex - but the information is written down and we can view them on their website. As laws(?) they can be changed - but they are more transparent than the BSPA rules...

Darcy Ward came over and there was no disputing his talent, but because of his visa he wasn't able to ride in the PL .. i guess Mark has a similar visa.

I really think that the problems have occurred because of lax management by the BSPA...

The BSPA should be watching for changes in visas and checking the UK Borders Agency before every season. To my mind they have a duty of care to the riders and should ensure that eveything is 'above board.' If a rider's career is affected by any decision/non-decision that the BSPA make I wonder if the rider could sue the BSPA?

Promoters should - I think - have their liciences suspended if they knowingly use a rider without the correct paperwork(hard to prove I know - if the BSPA aren't doing the job properly at their end).

Darcy Ward came over and there was no disputing his talent, but because of his visa he wasn't able to ride in the PL .. i guess Mark has a similar visa.

Was it 2008 Darcy came over and did he finish the season or did he go home before then end?

Was it 2008 Darcy came over and did he finish the season or did he go home before then end?

Just Googled it... BSF - Darcy Ward Boston debut...

Arrived in July and Boston debut was 13th July 2008... He left the first or second week of October - before the end of the season...

But the laws may have been diferent then - 'cos I can't imagine Malcolm breaking any laws. Someone did mention that the visas changed sometime in 2008...

Being 15 had nothing to do with it then? :unsure:

But the laws may have been diferent then - 'cos I can't imagine Malcolm breaking any laws. Someone did mention that the visas changed sometime in 2008...

Thw whiter than white one was at scunny in 2008 not boston

Of course it is Vince. Anything your Sam does is never wrong.

OK, lets compare our knowledge of the situation.

I was witness to the original agreement between Sam and Nick Mallett that took Sam to Newport in 2009. Since Sam didn't return there this year I have discussed the situation with both him (Sam) and Steve Mallett and have correspondence to back that up. I can't (and wouldn't anyway) reveal details of who claims what is owed because it is an ongoing legal matter.

You know what the Malletts have chosen to tell you. Of course they know full well that anything they say to you is likely to end up on here and therefore you know part of one side of a story.

I never wanted to be yet another person on here having a pop at Newport, however since you can't stop talking about things you know little about and understand less here is a 100% definite, provable fact for you that would have little or no bearing on a court case.

The last time either Promoter of Newport Speedway spoke to Sam was on the 31st of January this year. Nick, who was then still Promoter told a large crowd of people repeatedly that Sam was riding for Newport this year and he couldn't wait for him to return. He told the same people that he was very pleased with the work Sam had put in and the equipment he had bought in the off season (money spent because he had been guaranteed a team place). On the Thursday we read that Mark Jones was the final signing for the Hornets and Nick Mallett would not answer his phone from that point on.

And then an idiot comes on here and says Sam threw the Malletts help back in their face!