British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Bruce Penhall

I haven't read it, but I can take or leave his column and I find Malcolm Simmons to give a much more interesting rider's perspective.

Even so, I don't quite understand the diatribe by some against the bloke for wanting to do something other than ride speedway, nor blaming him for the decline of American speedway. It might well be the case that American speedway was never quite the same again, but that's hardly the fault of one rider...

At last - someone who agrees with me on this. :approve::approve:

Bring back Rod Haynes to BackTrack. :approve::approve:

I'd like to know how he thought his Book Penhall speedway world champion ended up?? I would really question him as to whether he thinks that book is worthy of evan hitting the printers let alone charging fans of the sport to read that garbage, and is he willing to accept it back if I post it back. I have a few more questions but knowing the type of character he is, He would just hang up the phone, rather than have the decency to answer some home truths!

Type of character? no doubt this comment is born out of the fact your a former Halifax/Carter fan? and just because you didnt like his comments about Kenny? I met Kenny when he was at Newcastle and i jokingly asked him who he was and he didnt respond like a gentleman nor did he years later at the Golden hammer when again I jokingly said(as a Middlesbrough fan)that Martin Dixon was far more entertaining to watch whenDicko was doubling up again he was not exactly a responsive gentleman. Yes Kenny was a great rider and yes he had a difficult life with his family problems ie his mothers illness but Penhall is entitled to believe what Kenny did was out of order in ending his life etc so sorry not sure where you get this character thing especially as Bruce was orphaned himself but behaved impeccably with the public.

At last - someone who agrees with me on this. :approve::approve:

Bring back Rod Haynes to BackTrack. :approve::approve:

Because unfortunatly some people are just childish and bear grudges and some comment out of childish track/team/rider rivallry. As a Middlesbrough/Teesside fan I hated Joe Owen when he wore the diamonds race jacket but that didnt change the shock of what happened to him and team apart I have never felt the need to doubt his character or dislike him as a person then or now because he was a great rider and good for the league etc.

To my knowledge Bruce was always good with the fans etc and great for British speedway thats all that counts and I do understand why people blame him for everything because he tells it the way he sees it as does Simmo but nobody criticises him. This is NOT directed at you obviously.

Edited by stavvy1974

Type of character? no doubt this comment is born out of the fact your a former Halifax/Carter fan? and just because you didnt like his comments about Kenny? I met Kenny when he was at Newcastle and i jokingly asked him who he was and he didnt respond like a gentleman nor did he years later at the Golden hammer when again I jokingly said(as a Middlesbrough fan)that Martin Dixon was far more entertaining to watch whenDicko was doubling up again he was not exactly a responsive gentleman. Yes Kenny was a great rider and yes he had a difficult life with his family problems ie his mothers illness but Penhall is entitled to believe what Kenny did was out of order in ending his life etc so sorry not sure where you get this character thing especially as Bruce was orphaned himself but behaved impeccably with the public.

maybe your sense of humour wasnt particularly funny to Kenny? It seems you have a problem with him if anything. My hate of Penhall was manufactured from reading his 'book', and being none the wiser about why he did what he did. I have come to the conclusion that Penhall was scared of something happening to him on the track and thats why he suddenly retired. He managed his ambitions and wanted to get out before he got hurt. That is my opinion and Bruce you brought it on yourself. If you are going to sell a book, at least make it good to read, and not painful to read as this crud was. For him to approve or not evan read it before being published is hideous. The worship and praise that the author heaps on Penhall is beyond a joke, it made me physically sick, and that's the only reason I have questions regarding his character.

Because unfortunatly some people are just childish and bear grudges and some comment out of childish track/team/rider rivallry. As a Middlesbrough/Teesside fan I hated Joe Owen when he wore the diamonds race jacket but that didnt change the shock of what happened to him and team apart I have never felt the need to doubt his character or dislike him as a person then or now because he was a great rider and good for the league etc.

To my knowledge Bruce was always good with the fans etc and great for British speedway thats all that counts and I do understand why people blame him for everything because he tells it the way he sees it as does Simmo but nobody criticises him. This is NOT directed at you obviously.

Hello Stavvy - we meet again.

My comments regarding Penhall were just my opinion of his awful Column in BackTrack. His Articles are not very good as far as I am concerned. I don't like to see a Rider like Penhall being lionised on here, because, Bruce Penhall was very much a flawed diamond. There were rumours of drugs, fixed Races, the way he left the Sport in such disgraceful circumstances all of which is unacceptable to me. Now he is back writing Articles about the Sport he treated so shamefully.

Rod Haynes however did not have this sort of reputation. He wrote of the 'good old days' and HIS pieces were incisive and interesting. He is sadly missed - by me anyway. As a scribe he was a far better read than Mr. Penhall will ever be.

Hello Stavvy - we meet again.

My comments regarding Penhall were just my opinion of his awful Column in BackTrack. His Articles are not very good as far as I am concerned. I don't like to see a Rider like Penhall being lionised on here, because, Bruce Penhall was very much a flawed diamond. There were rumours of drugs, fixed Races, the way he left the Sport in such disgraceful circumstances all of which is unacceptable to me. Now he is back writing Articles about the Sport he treated so shamefully.

Rod Haynes however did not have this sort of reputation. He wrote of the 'good old days' and HIS pieces were incisive and interesting. He is sadly missed - by me anyway. As a scribe he was a far better read than Mr. Penhall will ever be.

Tch, Typical Redcar fan. :D:o

Tch, Typical Redcar fan. :D:o

Oooops!!! Sorry Tsunami. :shock::wink:

Still meant every word of my Post though.

Just wanted to respond to a couple of points on here as the author of the Penhall book.

When putting anything in print such as the publication of a book which is read by thousands of people, I knew I had to accept that there would be people that liked it and people that didnt, so I'll take the criticism along with the praise.

I am fortunate enough to have been able to write the book and that such an overwhelming majority of feedback has been positive. I will always be proud of the achievement of everything to do with the book and what was involved.

I also concede that I feel I could improve and do a better job now than when I first started writing it seven years ago. True, I am a Bruce Penhall fan and that comes across, perhaps too strongly, in the book. I never set out or wanted it to be controversial and perhaps for that reason it lacked an edge that some people would have liked.

I know I am probably never going to change the opinion of people who disliked Bruce already or disapproved of the things that he did. Harsh to criticise though in my opinion, that he chose to follow other careers, pursuits and potential achievements. Not really his fault what happened to speedway afterwards either! He had the opportunities to experience life in Hollywood, in powerboat racing (world champion again), in other glamorous businesses and was able to do things that most of us will never have the chance to do. I'd have less respect if he turned those opportunities down.

I doubt however that there will be many who agree with 'dirt' that he did 'more to damage the sport than good'! In researching, I spoke to many other people who knew or worked with Bruce including managers, team-mates and rivals. I can honestly say - regardless of my own opinion - that during that process there was hardly a bad word to say about him.

Some misconceptions to correct though: I started researching and writing the book first of all, and as it progressed I contacted Bruce and asked for his blessing and his help. He was exceptionally accommodating and we had many transatlantic phone calls (at 6am Californian time) where he shared his memories of the events I was researching and writing about. He was not looking for someone to write a book about him, it was something that I had endeavoured to do and there is nothing stopping someone else doing the same in the future, with or without Bruce's help or endorsement. He read the book before it was printed, but accepted it was a biography and not an autobiography. He never asked for, or received 'a cut of the proceeds'. It was one of the earlier efforts of the Speedway Books revolution under Tempus, and maybe I was naive in wanting to see the book through to print so accepted whatever was offered. The publishers made far more money than anyone out of the book.

It remains a record of Bruce's achievements, albeit from the point of view of a Cradley fan and a Penhall fan. For those that didn't know him or see him ride, and for those that remember his era, there are lots of stories and details about what he did on and off track.

Thanks,

Steve.

Steve you dont have to make a book into a controversial story by asking certain questions.

Did it cross your mind to ask him why he gave it away at such a young age?????????????????????

Probably that query along with similar mysteries regarding why on earth he would give up the best, most exciting sport in the world when he was approaching his peak and had at least 10 years ahead of him.

If im not mistaken you didnt answer any of these or anything at all of any interest.

What changed in Bruces mind? because as you wrote his dream was always to be a speedway rider and become world champion, which he did with great skill, but his dream as a youngster or ambitions were NEVER anything about powert ski/power boat cruising. Compared to speedway bike riding that is something to be ashamed about, like a gardening contest or flower bouquet competition.

With respect all you gave was a list of his achievments and summary of his career, when the important questions got ignored.

Im not saying I could do better, but dont try and disguise his wimping out by glorifying powerboat racing as it isnt even a sport and more like a waste of petrol and thrashing boats for fun.

The more you glorified his good looks and great relationship with the fans, the more it seems he let the sport down by giving it up for no good or any reason.

Hollywood aspirations and power ski racing are nothing to be proud of. Far from it they are a decent reflection however of his attitude and selfish self orientated personality, and how he would do anything to get ahead perhaps even get his ambitions mixed up with his capabilities in the pursuit of greatness, when he was never even that good. If he had won 4 or 5 Crowns and been at the top for a while not just a flash in the pan, then he would have been ready to move on to other pursuits. with some respect still intact.

I spose you think his hollywood career was actaully successful? :);):blink:

Did it cross your mind to ask him why he gave it away at such a young age?????????????????????

Probably that query along with similar mysteries regarding why on earth he would give up the best, most exciting sport in the world when he was approaching his peak and had at least 10 years ahead of him.

I think this is well covered. Bruce felt that he had already reached the very top of the sport. His dream was to become World Champion and he did it, twice. He had an offer to appear in what was a hugely successful TV series at the time and it was an offer which had enormous appeal to him.

Im not saying I could do better, but dont try and disguise his wimping out by glorifying powerboat racing as it isnt even a sport and more like a waste of petrol and thrashing boats for fun... Hollywood aspirations and power ski racing are nothing to be proud of.

You are clearly entitled to your opinion, but I'm sure many powerboat fanatics would say similar things about speedway.

It could have been all sorts of reasons. Speedway is dangerous and you start to reflect more on your mortality as you get older, or perhaps he simply got tired of endlessly travelling around a dank country to dilapidated stadiums with poor facilities. More likely though, especially for naturally talented competitors, is that once you've won the ultimate prize you don't feel there's any challenge left.

What changed in Bruces mind? because as you wrote his dream was always to be a speedway rider and become world champion, which he did with great skill, but his dream as a youngster or ambitions were NEVER anything about powert ski/power boat cruising.

You can change your mind. My ambitions have certainly changed over the years, not least because I've achieved some of them, but also because my interests have changed. Although I liked speedway from a relatively young age, I never had much time for other forms of motor sport but that's completely the reverse now and I'm much more interested in 4-wheeled racing these days. If you ask me why my interests changed though, I wouldn't really have much of a clue.

Hollywood aspirations and power ski racing are nothing to be proud of.

I think you're viewing it from a contemporary viewpoint. With the rise of celebrity and reality shows, people are much more aware that Hollywood is not all it's cracked up to be, especially playing a bit part in a mediocre television filler series. I'm not sure that was always the case though, and perhaps CHiPS was seen as a stepping stone to better things in showbiz. Some people make it and some don't and it's often down to being in the right place at the right time (as David Hasselhoff surely demonstrates), but you certainly have to be in it to win it... ;)

Powerboat racing also attracts a lot of rich and influential people, so it's perhaps another avenue for career advancement even if it's a rather niche sport.

I spose you think his hollywood career was actaully successful? :)

:D

I think this is well covered. Bruce felt that he had already reached the very top of the sport. His dream was to become World Champion and he did it, twice. He had an offer to appear in what was a hugely successful TV series at the time and it was an offer which had enormous appeal to him.

You are clearly entitled to your opinion, but I'm sure many powerboat fanatics would say similar things about speedway.

Top of the sport? Did he surpass Ivans record did he? Not even close. Not even Olsens. He jagged or managed two championships you could say, then left with no explanation.

obviously a very niaeve young pretty boy as that massive TV series turned into a fizzer and he threw his career away for nothing/squat. Then was too stubborn or scared to put the leathers on again and show what he could do!

Though he still must have had plenty of money to throw about on his power boats.?ahhh :angry: His name should be erased from the history books IMO.

He drained every cent he could while he rode speedway, then left it in the crap! Never has a rider retired after indeed winning a world crown. He denied K. Carter the opportunity to win for nothing more than showing off in front of his home crowd! what a twit. Carter never recovered from that, and Penhall was responsible for Carters downfall.

Top of the sport? Did he surpass Ivans record did he? Not even close. Not even Olsens.

You have to do a lot of hard yards to achieve what Mauger and Olsen did, and perhaps he just didn't have the desire to make the ongoing necessary sacrifices. Everyone ticks differently, and perhaps once he'd won two titles he'd proved it wasn't a fluke, but wasn't sufficiently motivated to carry on doing the same thing year-after-year.

Though he still must have had plenty of money to throw about on his power boats.

I could be wrong, but weren't the Penhalls fairly affluent outside speedway anyway? Again, that might give some insight into motivation.

He drained every cent he could while he rode speedway, then left it in the crap!

No more so than most top professional riders, who after all are trying to make living out of their profession. His retirement could have been timed better and was a bit inconsiderate to his employers (not to mention the Cradley fans), but it's a bit harsh to blame him for speedway's demise!

1. I could be wrong, but weren't the Penhalls fairly affluent outside speedway anyway? Again, that might give some insight into motivation.

2. No more so than most top professional riders, who after all are trying to make living out of their profession. His retirement could have been timed better and was a bit inconsiderate to his employers (not to mention the Cradley fans), but it's a bit harsh to blame him for speedway's demise!

1. Yes they werent short of a dollar to the point of entering power boat spending, but why was he known to be the most stingy money craving dealer when it came to his speedway contracts and negotiations if he was involved in a huge family business and already was wealthy?

2. He contributed by choosing to run at the worst possible time hence why I believe he got scared. Lee was into the wrong substances but still fighting and riding admirably, as so other yanks (reportetly), Carter was a wild consistent cannon with more guts than anyone, but the sport required a stabilising proven influence instead they got a pretty rich boy to claim 2 in a row then flee off to the big screen acting business leaving a huge gap impossible to fill straight away.

He isnt solely to blame - but no petty reasons will fool me from the fact that he hasnt opened up to the true reasons.

It basically doesnt need to be said really- its clear he wimped out. :D The only question left is why think its worthy of writing a book about it? To say you respect him more for taking up those fairytale opportunities given the fact they failed rather than going for some more crowns and giving the fans what they would have liked is utter moronic coming from a speedway fan. Or are you just a Bruce fan rather than a speedway fan?

Im more than happy to let bygons be bygons you can worship him I couldnt care one iota, but unless Bruce went on to something bigger and better which he did not it was a misjudged failure of a move.

You only change sports or careers for that matter if you are better at something else!!!!! he clearly wasnt, so he made a mistake . End of story"

So you don't approve of him Dirt. :blink: