British Speedway Forum
Bryn

Weymouth For Sale

Press Release issued today:

BARTLETT: WILDCATS FOR SALE

Weymouth Weyline Wildcats chairman Phil Bartlett today has confirmed that he wishes to step down as chairman of the Wildcats, from today [Friday 17th September] Weymouth Speedway is for sale.

Anyone interested in purchasing the club can contact Bartlett on his mobile number and obviously the club will be sold for the best offer that comes forward and also for the best interests of the club to move forward and keep operating in the future.

I feel it’s time that I need to take this move to concentrate more on my business’s and my personal life and quite clearly after running the club for six years it’s time to move forward and let someone else take the successes forward. We had fantastic success in 2008 in the season when we won the league and the fours, we tried to do that in 2009 but we came runners up to the team that won with half of our team from the previous season.

This year we have suffered with injuries all the way through with rider unavailability it’s proved to be very difficult to find replacements for riders when injured and we’ve been glad of the successes on track. Therefore I made the decision this morning, a decision that hasn’t been taken lightly but has been ongoing for some months. I have had a couple of offers of people that have come forward, one was to take on a partnership and form a consortium to help me but it’s not the way forward after running the club on my own. Another offer has come in but nothing has been firmed up he wanted to make moves forward but nothing more has been forthcoming so therefore I have decided to put the club up for sale and stand down as chairman. Hopefully the club will continue forward and have more of the success that we have enjoyed, bringing it back to winning ways and winning the league in 2011.

A shame to see Phil go after he's kept it going for so long.

But it's a great opportunity for someone to achieve a lifetime's ambition at relatively low cost and risk. But the BSPA need to make sure it's not a Clueless Claude who wouldn't complete a season even if he or she has enough funds to buy it.

Edited by Storming Norman

If i remember rightly weren't there some shares sold in the club a couple of years ago? If so would this have any effect on a potential sale of the club:-/

I believe there was £18,000 worth of shares raised ( no Agm over last 3 years either :blink: ) Also me and two others ex directors put in £30,000 which after legal advice is class as director loans (but we have never followed up because the whole point of putting our money in was to save weymouth speedway so by claim our loans back it would have shut weymouth speedway down but it maybe a different story now)

I believe there are other loans as well to other people which are at least £20,000

I would say Weymouth Speedway is in a bit of a mess and Clueless Claude has already run Weymouth Speedway :mad:

Lets hope BSPA come in and do what they should have done a long time a go and someone comes in and gets Weymouth Speedway back to where it should be a good little speedway club helping young riders progress in the sport

Robin Spicer

Edited by wessexboy

I believe there was £18,000 worth of shares raised ( no Agm over last 3 years either :blink: ) Also me and two others ex directors put in £30,000 which after legal advice is class as director loans (but we have never followed up because the whole point of putting our money in was to save weymouth speedway so by claim our loans back it would have shut weymouth speedway down but it maybe a different story now)

I believe there are other loans as well to other people which are at least £20,000

I would say Weymouth Speedway is in a bit of a mess and Clueless Claude has already run Weymouth Speedway :mad:

Lets hope BSPA come in and do what they should have done a long time a go and someone comes in and gets Weymouth Speedway back to where it should be a good little speedway club helping young riders progress in the sport

Robin Spicer

The amount being asked for by present owners frightened a few of us off as well!

Interesting to hear the cheers when Mr Bartlett announced on the night that he was putting the club up for sale (the person standing next to me shouted 'good riddance').

Clearly there will be a few who will be glad to see the back of him.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Clearly there will be a few who will be glad to see the back of him.

And hopefully be able to put their money where their mouths are!

From Dorset echo

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/sport/speedway/8421257.Cats

At last Phil Bartlett has admited that he has shareholders surely the right thing would have been to have sent each shareholder a letter or he should of had a shareholders meeting to tell them that he was putting Weymouth Speedway up for sale (He was happy enough to take their money) :blink:

And surely he is selling his shares in Weymouth Speedway not Weymouth Speedway club. But to say to shareholders that if there is any money left after the sale the shareholders may get some money back can not be right :unsure:

I am not an expert in shares but i am sure that this is not the way football club shares work and i thought this shares scheme was based on that idea

Robin Spicer

From Dorset echo

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/sport/speedway/8421257.Cats

At last Phil Bartlett has admited that he has shareholders surely the right thing would have been to have sent each shareholder a letter or he should of had a shareholders meeting to tell them that he was putting Weymouth Speedway up for sale (He was happy enough to take their money) :blink:

And surely he is selling his shares in Weymouth Speedway not Weymouth Speedway club. But to say to shareholders that if there is any money left after the sale the shareholders may get some money back can not be right :unsure:

I am not an expert in shares but i am sure that this is not the way football club shares work and i thought this shares scheme was based on that idea

Robin Spicer

Looks like the company you put shares into has been wound up according to companies house records. So I guess you will be a lucky chap getting something back when all the finances have been sorted out from the sale.

Looks like the company you put shares into has been wound up according to companies house records. So I guess you will be a lucky chap getting something back when all the finances have been sorted out from the sale.

I bought a few shares and didn't expect to ever see the money again! Just thought it may help keep speedway in Weymouth and my son thought it "cool" to have the share certificates on his bedroom wall.

You seem to be remarkably well informed. I take it you are the same person on the Dorset Echo site. You wouldnt happen to be Mr Bartletts current partner would you??

I've a brain and use it, did a search on Companies House website and the info is there for anyone to view SIMPLES!!

Did you look up Weymouth Wildcats Limited or Wildcats Weymouth Limited? Im not sure for certain but I think the former has been dissolved but the latter, which is the current company is still viable I am sure someone who knows what they are talking about will soon be on here to confirm either way.

Real shame to hear about the goings on down at the Wessex, I have heard plenty of things about Mr Bartlett's promoting skills, although may I add do not know what is true and what is merely rumour. But it is a real shame that another club may possibly be closing. I have been to Weymouth several times over the past 4 years for some epic battles with the Devils and have generally enjoyed a really good nights racing on a decent track. (It seems this year however both the racing and the track hasn't been to the same standard). I only hope things can be sorted out and the Wildcats are back racing in 2011.

Best of luck to all involved :)