British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Pawlicki And His Average Manipulation

Been out for a few hours and this load of boring rubbish is still going on, Poole were beaten fair and square and they don't like it, move on or is this the state of threads between now and next bloody march. no wonder this forum is going to the dogs.

Don't mention dogs. It's not allowed on here. :P

It amazes me that some people are just so bitter. The collum from Matt Ford was totally uncalled for and downright offensive in my opinion as theres no proof. Before this I actually liked Matt Ford, earlier in the season he wrote an Collum in the Dudley Heathens programme ( at his own request) in which he praised the Heathens for their support at a Bournemouth meeting. It was a lovely touch I thought so Im somewhat disapointed with his ungracious and unsporting conduct over this.

Edited by Brummie Kev

Matt Ford has shown himself up to be nothing more than a spoilt child who, when things don't go his way, spits out the dummy and takes his ball home. The lack of fireworks and champagne at the end of the meeting along with 'We are the champions' being played at a level that only dogs could hear (sorry Gemini) showed a real lack of class on his part.

He has dragged down to the gutter all of the good 'PR' work that Middlo and Watt had engineered in their totally sportsmanlike way that they handled defeat, not to mention the Poole fans who, in the majority, have shown real humility over the last couple of weeks. I tell you if this was one of the mainstream sports then Ford would be charged with bringing the sport into disrepute by the authorities. Silly little man.

P.S People wonder why Darcy Ward acts like a petulant child, they only have to look at the example being set by Ford to see why.

:approve:

While he may have a point regarding Pawlicki's starting average for next year, I think that making a fuss and implying that it had a bearing on the play off final does smack of sour grapes to me a bit I'm afraid.

Coventry came to Poole having ridden it only a couple of times during the season and gave us a proper thrashing. The Poole riders have ridden the Poole track week in and week out all year, and in some cases for several years. My point is this, regardless of where Pawlicki road in the Coventry team, Poole should have been able to contain him. We didn't, We bottled it, Coventry were the better team by a country mile.

I have great respect for Matt Ford, what he's done at Poole over the last however many years is great, but whinging about other teams making use of the very rules he has made ample use of in the past just seems churlish to me. Congratulate Coventry and move on.

I am not the first one to say that this is a superb post and sums up precisely how those who can look at this subject objectively feel.

Well said indeed :approve:

It's not win at all costs. It's being a good manager. The fact your manager says he'd never do it proves he's lacking something when it comes to being a team manager.

I was about to say that leaving a rider out to gain an advantage in a big meeting might easily be regarded as an act of managerial genius but you have said it for me. :D

Frankly, I don't care what they did to the track. It was the same for both teams. We proved at Poole beyond any doubt we were the better team. The track was there to be ridden/raced and Coventry did that much better than Poole did.

Again, you're dead right. :approve:

Coventry's performance at Poole was superb and it was inspired by their captain who gave one of the bravest and most influential displays I have ever seen on a speedway track. Quite simply, they deserved it.

Matt Ford's comments come across as those of a bad loser who knew for certain that his powerhouse side were going to sweep everything before it,can't come to terms with the fact that they didn't and is looking for excuses why that was the case other than on his own doorstep. As many others have said, get over it.

Alun Rossiter's, on the other hand, seem to be restrained and fair. :approve:

Look after Davey for us next year if he ends up at Blunsdon. Don't want his average to get to high so he can return to us in 2012 on a 5. something. :P

Take care, Steve, one more year of Poole humiliation & you'll be a broken man...........or glory hunting at Blunsdon or Brandon! :P

Stop me if I'm going awry here, but do 15 pages of comment boil down to the following: Team has rider, team rests rider for less important matches, team uses rider for vital ones, no rules are broken?

Matt Ford has shown himself up to be nothing more than a spoilt child who, when things don't go his way, spits out the dummy and takes his ball home. The lack of fireworks and champagne at the end of the meeting along with 'We are the champions' being played at a level that only dogs could hear (sorry Gemini) showed a real lack of class on his part.

He has dragged down to the gutter all of the good 'PR' work that Middlo and Watt had engineered in their totally sportsmanlike way that they handled defeat, not to mention the Poole fans who, in the majority, have shown real humility over the last couple of weeks. I tell you if this was one of the mainstream sports then Ford would be charged with bringing the sport into disrepute by the authorities. Silly little man.

P.S People wonder why Darcy Ward acts like a petulant child, they only have to look at the example being set by Ford to see why.

decent assessment for mine. :wink:

maybe thats why hes not known as Matt Ford by some and instead is called FAT MAUD? :D

As a Poole fan I am annoyed that Pawlicki was kept out of his 12th match to stay at reserve (especially as he could turn up as a guest for the Budgies in the Cup final) and yes it average manipulation of a sort.

As a speedway fan I feel Rosco is to be applauded for his use and knowledge of the rules in the re building and maintenance of his team this year. If Middlo had the same option with a high scoring reserve and didn't do what Rosco did the same fans on here who are crying its not fair would be calling for his head!

The question is will it be allowed next year? I think the BSPA conference will take steps to ensure it doesn't. However with a sport governed by averages there will always be an angle so to speak. IMO speedway fans will have to accept that from time to time a gem will be unearthed and just pray its your team that finds him and that your manager is clever enough to use the rules to his advantage.

As for the sour grapes, I am still reeling in disbelief from the final and our performance (losing at home to effectively a 3 man team). The fact is though we lost so stop whinging and get on with winning the KO Cup (hopefully).

Once again well done Coventry and their astute management, thanks to the Bees in the bar at the 1st leg for making what was looking to be a depressing night enjoyable and we'll be looking to take that trophy back next year::wink:

Gullible. :rolleyes:

So we all imagined Pawlicki riding and winning in Poland then. If he was injured what was he doing riding in an individual meeting, and winning it?

Steve,do us all a favour and grow up!! your digging yourself deeper and deeper with your childish comments.

Your team got beaten fair and square and you dont like it,who cares??

Edited by gary moore

One things for sure. He will never ride for a "haven't won jack in 40 odd years and counting team". :D

What a childish response!! How old are you?

It beggars belief. Thats me done for this thread!!! :angry:

No. It would be hilarious though to steal him from under Coventry's noses when they are the ones who have manipulated his average. :P

He is not a Coventry asset and clearly prefers the Poole tack to Brandon. Matt should get on the phone to him. :D

But surely Fat Maud's conscience would not allow him to ride on a 4pt average isn't this where we started oracle?

Its time to bed this thred and we were beaten by the better team over 2 legs,there will always be a team that say's ifs ,but's and should be's but the way that British Speedway is run is a joke and its way over due to pull the sport into the 21st century.The powers should say 8 full matches for a riders avg and if he misses his last one through illnes or injury he cannot ride in another country or face a ban in uk simple that would stop the farting about . I would prefer a squad system which would allow the top riders to have a break and then you would see more of them,also stop this loan system where a owned rider can ride against his home club affectivly cup tieing him,but by having the squad they can replace him from within.

It never happens in other sports so why this one, and as for the Elite league well the team that finishes top with most points wins and have a 4 team challange just for the top 4 ,much fairer and based over a seasons work not 4 matches.

Until this is sorted out many long term fans will vote with there feet and say why pay£50 + to take a family out for a poorly run sport... :D

I would love to see a meeting between the two same teams on a Netural well prepared track, then lets see what the result would be!!!

More asinine remarks from down South, first we have Ford's "opinion" which is based on inaccuracies, then we have virtually every comment that Shovlar's post to be complete and utter balderdash, I especially enjoyed his attempts at trying to suggest Poole should sign Shamek as he has not 12 meetings...... bless him.

Then we have a Poole fan wanting to see the teams race on a well prepared neutral track, why would you want that, we beat you on a well prepared Poole track didnt we?

As for TNT I would give it up already, the first example you use basically destroys your arguement as Auty would not be able to double up if he had attained a 9.7 average while riding for Sheffield.

The fact is Shamek was carrying an injury, our medical and management team ruled it would be in his best interests not to ride, we did not use a facility, we used our number 8 to cover for him. They were so unsure as to whether Pawlicki would be able to perform that we ensured our number 8 was at track ready to go if he was needed. Where was the Poole number 8? We are a professional club, you can see that, in the way the club provides for its riders, they do everything they can to ensure they are at their peak while riding for the Bees, the back room staff at Brandon I would suggest is better than at any other Elite team, basically we were prepared to win. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Edited by Sir Jasper