British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

New Cross Speedway Night

I've been rapped about my previous remarks concerning the New X night and it's been suggested I might have done more to organise some of the support factors I said should have been implemented in regard to it. But the first I knew of it was when I saw the message on here and that's just three weeks from the event. Also I don't know anyone involved in this sort of thing. But I'm sure had we known about the night before it came up here that others would have been pleased to have done things to make it more than just a talk but things have been running against doing something because of the low time factor between the first message about the talk and when it would take place. With a good time span and based on what interest there has since been about the talk it seems that a golden chance to rekindle more memories about NX have been lost. May I ask just when and where the Lewisham History Society planned to make public more about the talk? I wish it all success of course.

Sorry, kenny, I don't know what the Lewisham Local History Society's plans for publicising the event are. I have been asked along as a guest speaker, that's my only involvement in the event. The society meets every month with speakers on different subjects of local interest. If they are anything like my own local history society they will advertise their meetings in the local press and maybe local radio.

the first I knew of it was when I saw the message on here and that's just three weeks from the event.

Incidentally, I first posted news of this meeting on 7 December 2009: Here

Incidentally, I first posted news of this meeting on 7 December 2009: Here

I wasn't on as a site member back then so this is news to me. I looked and found some people then wants to see stuff and gettogether about NX linked but it went to be a debate about pubs and wine bars and even a pub near West ham speedway so things to start to get off their first sort of topic. Never mind maybe one day we'll get a real NX reunion before all the old fans die off something like the Wokingham California speedway does each year is an idea to consider for.

i think a london speedway reunion for fans of all the capitals clubs would be a good idea. the chances of the sport ever returning to this great city seem remote to say the least. :(

Well…….what an evening. The main speaker a certain Norman Jacobs gave an excellent history lesson on New Cross speedway, with loads of pictures displayed via a proxcima whilst giving his talk. I do have to say it was very much an older audience, I recon me and Mr Jacobs where probably the youngest there :lol: !

I did here several committee members say on my way out that it was extremely well attended, to which I think it was. There must have been about 50 people there, all listening with great interest at what the guest speaker had to say.

It was nice also to see Terry Stone their, although no bikes on display he did bring some speedway memorabilia for the people to look at and giving the speedway museum a plug.

One of the reasons I went was because I didn’t know a great deal about New Cross speedway, such as Briggo riding for them for a while and when Crystal Palace closed they moved lock stock and barrel in to New Cross.

All in all an excellent evening Thanks must go to Mr Jacobs for travelling from his home in Clactonville in Essex and one question please Mr Jacobs. There was a picture of Wally Mawdsley you showed, who was that with him in the picture

Thank you for those kind words, Paul.

I was hoping no-one would ask that question as I have no idea! I thought I got away with it last night!!!

Really gutted i couldn't get out of family commitments to attend, but glad it went well Norman.

I finally made it to the stadium site on Monday before the snow hit London, though it was freezing. The track is still vaguely visible from ground level and the old steps are stil there.

As i walked away singing 'Ilkley Moor by tat' to myself, something magical happened, the sound of bikes came from the track area. I rushed back down Hernshay St and watched two men on scramble bikes ride around the area, though they soon dissapeared over the horizon, but as i left again i once more heard the bike noise and stood there for a few minutes imagining it on race night.It got too cold so i headed home but it did add some autheticity to my attempts to picture it all as it was,sadly my battery was dead on my camera by then though i have one blurry shot of a bike in the distance.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=302819&id=684042497&l=38f86e110b

Really gutted i couldn't get out of family commitments to attend, but glad it went well Norman.

I finally made it to the stadium site on Monday before the snow hit London, though it was freezing. The track is still vaguely visible from ground level and the old steps are stil there.

As i walked away singing 'Ilkley Moor by tat' to myself, something magical happened, the sound of bikes came from the track area. I rushed back down Hernshay St and watched two men on scramble bikes ride around the area, though they soon dissapeared over the horizon, but as i left again i once more heard the bike noise and stood there for a few minutes imagining it on race night.It got too cold so i headed home but it did add some autheticity to my attempts to picture it all as it was,sadly my battery was dead on my camera by then though i have one blurry shot of a bike in the distance.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=302819&id=684042497&l=38f86e110b

Erm.. Iikley Moor by tat - Funny but we always sang that at New Cross - we once sang it together Norman I'm sure... :blink: (Just kidding) :D

I have a New Cross Speedway tribute site if any one would like to check it out and I would welcome any imput and contributions. Its not 100% accurate but it can always be amended..

http://www.jbsportsimages.co.uk/page0.html

We also have the correct 'parade' music and the leaving tune..

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Erm.. Iikley Moor by tat - Funny but we always sang that at New Cross - we once sang it together Norman I'm sure... :blink: (Just kidding) :D

I have a New Cross Speedway tribute site if any one would like to check it out and I would welcome any imput and contributions. Its not 100% accurate but it can always be amended..

http://www.jbsportsimages.co.uk/page0.html

We also have the correct 'parade' music and the leaving tune..

Always thought it was an odd choice of song for the movie, but hey i've seen 'Swagman' a couple of times recently so that was always gonna be in my head!!

Hello to all Rangers fans!

I’ve just discovered this site and hope to be a regular contributor from now on.

The first speedway match I ever saw was New Cross v. Wimbledon in 1960. I attended meetings regularly both in the National and Provincial league days. I was then forced to “support“ arch rivals Wimbledon when the track closed down.

I’ve just discovered this site and hope to be a regular contributor from now on.

The first speedway match I ever saw was New Cross v. Wimbledon in 1960. I attended meetings regularly both in the National and Provincial league days. I was then forced to “support“ arch rivals Wimbledon when the track closed down.

The first meeting I saw at New Cross was April 1946 - when their opponents were a side labelled as The Rest!

Welcome, Split, good to have you here. We need all the Rangers' fans we can get.

Do you know which NX v Wimbledon that was as they met several times during 1960? I'm only asking because that may have been the second meeting I ever saw. My first was NX v Norwich on 11 May 1960 and the second was against Wimbledon on 18 May. So I may have beaten you by a week!

Welcome, Split, good to have you here. We need all the Rangers' fans we can get.

Do you know which NX v Wimbledon that was as they met several times during 1960? I'm only asking because that may have been the second meeting I ever saw. My first was NX v Norwich on 11 May 1960 and the second was against Wimbledon on 18 May. So I may have beaten you by a week!

It was late in the season and might have been the last match that year.

I do remember it was pouring with rain but racing went ahead.

I now live in Johannesburg by the way but haven’t bumped into Doug Davies yet.

It was late in the season and might have been the last match that year.

Ah yes, 14 September, one meeting before the end. The Grand Challenge Cup.

I didn't go to that one!

The last meeting was on 21 September, the Champion of Champions Individual Cup won by Ronnie Moore.