British Speedway Forum

Bob Nicholls runs Bob Nicholls Motorcycles and is an uncle of Scott. Guy Nicholls is the owner of the Trucks R Us empire (with its many branches). He is a cousin of Scott (although Guy is not Bob's son). Dave Hunting indeed used to be the owner of Hunting Hire, a business that he sold many years ago. Mr Hunting is now virtually retired, so I doubt he would be in a position to acquire the club. Nerve jangling times for us Witches fans, let's just hope whatever the next week brings it brings a viable solution for the continuation of speedway at Foxhall in what would be the Clubs 60th Anniversary year, having been originally formed in 1952

Who ever it is I wish Ippo and all their followers better success than of late.

Thank you, much appreciated hyderd.

Bob Nicholls runs Bob Nicholls Motorcycles and is an uncle of Scott. Guy Nicholls is the owner of the Trucks R Us empire (with its many branches). He is a cousin of Scott (although Guy is not Bob's son). Dave Hunting indeed used to be the owner of Hunting Hire, a business that he sold many years ago. Mr Hunting is now virtually retired, so I doubt he would be in a position to acquire the club. Nerve jangling times for us Witches fans, let's just hope whatever the next week brings it brings a viable solution for the continuation of speedway at Foxhall in what would be the Clubs 60th Anniversary year, having been originally formed in 1952

I might be missing something here Presenter but 1952+60 = 2012, next season is 2011?

I expect I'm wrong though apologies if I am :blink:

I might be missing something here Presenter but 1952+60 = 2012, next season is 2011?

I expect I'm wrong though apologies if I am :blink:

If you take 1952 as Year 1

52/1

53/2

54/3

55/4

56/5

57/6

58/7

59/8

60/9

61/10

etc. . .

Here here

If you take 1952 as Year 1

52/1

61/10

etc. . .

So Ipswich speedway can celebrate 60 years in 2011, and then have it's 60th Birthday in 2012 :).

Why are we taking 1952 as year 1 when speedway started at Ipswich in 1951?

We celebrated our 50th anniversary in 2001 so doesn't it follow that our 60th should be celebrated in 2011?

Actually Speedway first started at Foxhall Heath on 25th October 1950 with riders from Norwich and Yarmouth taking part. Phil Clarke broke the track record in the final race in a time of 72.2 which lasted four years.

Taken from Colin Barber's excellent tome "Ipswich Speedway-The first 50 years."

I agree. A local businessman is just what the club needs, and i hope that these rumours are true. So hopefully now (Or after the press release is published!) we can concentrate on getting a decent team out for next year. I still can't see Scott Nicholls coming back myself, but i'm keeping everything crossed!

The only way Scott will return is in EL obviously,and maybe it could still happen with the involvement of another party or a real shake up in the plans at the BSPA meeting. The major problem is that SKY are only in if there is a certain number of teams in the EL and I am led to believe that 2 EL clubs have officially applied to go PL,trouble is the EL definately wont want this and if the PL don't want them which is very likely then something has to give,looks like we are in for a very interesting week...

The only way Scott will return is in EL obviously,and maybe it could still happen with the involvement of another party

I thought only our Chris Holder alledgedly did them! :unsure: Then again, it depends what team building average the Ipswich promotion vote for!! As Brucie Forsyth said in his game show, higher or lower!!! Lower you lose Scott Nicholls, higher you may keep him. The choice is yours.

I thought only our Chris Holder alledgedly did them! :unsure: Then again, it depends what team building average the Ipswich promotion vote for!! As Brucie Forsyth said in his game show, higher or lower!!! Lower you lose Scott Nicholls, higher you may keep him. The choice is yours.

I would have thought lower, we get to keep him or higher we lose him :rolleyes:

I would have thought lower, we get to keep him or higher we lose him :rolleyes:

To my mind Lower you build a less competitve team, higher you build a better competitve team, and to my mind you have the chance this year to do that. At a guess, i expect i know which one Scott would prefere! I mean, you've not exactly set the world alight in the past few years.

Edited by Starman2006