British Speedway Forum

As Jules has mentioned, take a look on googlemaps - there is housing behind the trees on the back straight. The most recent housing on Bixley Farm (fourth bend) is also closer. Grange Farm is part of Kesgrave and is further over to the east.

Ironically it's the stock car racing which causes the biggest racket. I live a mile or so away on Grange Farm, and when when the wind is blowing our way on a Saturday night or Sunday afternoon, all you can hear is the steady roar of engines.

Incidentally, JL lives on Grange Farm - I cycle past his house when I go to work, while CL lives very close to the stadium, on Foxhall Road itself.

Ok thanks for the explanation,it just seems like loads of trees driving from the a14 direction,surely the point would be comparing it to Poole which is in the middle of a town,surrounded by houses and if people complain,i've not heard or seen it in the local press.

This is where I get confused. If Sky demand 9 teams and Ipswich won't stay EL and are refused entry to the PL, how will Ipswich closing help that particular situation?

It will give the Louis (and possibly other teams promoters) ammunition at the AGM knowing that the EL need 9 teams to keep SKY happy, obviously if it's less than 9 that ammo gets reduced unless another team(s) is prepared to also withdraw from the EL, it's a bit like a mini mutiny!

In the last paragraph of this report (below) it suggests that other Elite League Club that wants to drop is Lakeside. Dont believe it myself.

http://tinyurl.com/28jsvv6

He must of got his Lakeside confused with Eastbourne and/or Belle Vue!

I respect the Louis' for all they've done for the club and the continuity Ipswich speedway has had since 1989 but its now come to the point where things have to change and they seem to be indicating this.

Whatever happens the main thing is that we have speedway at Foxhall next season. If it has to be 2nd Division then fair enough. Thats better than nothing so no one should moan if that is what happens. But the Louis' if they stay in charge in the PL need to realise that you can't go in that League and scrimp on team building cause that will only end in a continuation and worsening of the poor situation we saw at Foxhall last season. Look at the debacle that was Mildenhalls last 2nd Division campaign in 2008 for nearby evidence of a club trying to run PL speedway on a ridiculously low budget.

I hope those at the BSPA conference bite the bullet and realise the truth that they and most fans have been saying for years now. The EL is not sustainable. Its too expensive and apart from the play off matches have long been a big repetitive turn off for the paying supporters. The top flight needs to get bigger, include more Brits and be at a level closer to the current PL.

It also needs to stop arranging its calender around the GP. Afterall how many GP riders will be riding in the UK next season. 5 at the most I'd predict. If a team wants to run on a Friday or a Saturday fair enough. If a team wants to have a GP rider in their line up then they'll have to arrange their away matches at Friday or Saturday night tracks accordingly.

Whatever happens lets hope that Ipswich and no other team close!

I have always said if a team has no GP riders and choses to run on a Saturday night ( or Friday when a GP is taking place, it is tough on the teams who visit that do have GP rdiers in their side.

Say eastbourne chose to ride on a saturday night. Against Coventry. Harris would be missing so Coventry would have to use r/r or a guest if it was a number one. The onus is on Coventry, or Poole, or Peterborough to sort out their side as Eastbourne would just field their seven riders regardless.

I hope those at the BSPA conference bite the bullet and realise the truth that they and most fans have been saying for years now. The EL is not sustainable. Its too expensive and apart from the play off matches have long been a big repetitive turn off for the paying supporters. The top flight needs to get bigger, include more Brits and be at a level closer to the current PL.

Couldn't agree more and yes it would be brilliant if the 2 top leagues were more equal in strength. Sweden and Poland prove it's possible and they seem to make it work and they are both also much stronger than us internationally. Must mean something.

Yea thats why the crowds are about 4 or 5 times more than the Pl ,why do you want to get closer to a league that fans are not watching ...what crazy thinking .

So what is it that 'YOU KNOW' of certain goings on over the years?

Also, I know for a FACT, that JL DID put his house up for the sake of the club, so again, please

enlighten us as to how you know otherwise.

And, in your second post, immediately after the above one, you bang on about the Louis' wages...

Errr.. the speedway club has been their sole source of income, yet you suggest, and yes you do,

that they work for free.

In other words, you are jumping on board the 'Lets slag the Louis' off' bandwagon without any

real inside knowledge of what has been going on within the club.

I won't sit here and defend the dismal teams we have had since 98, but then again, without people

like the Louis', there would be no Ipswich speedway at all, it would have gone to the wall years ago.

I will say this though, I had a 3 hour telephone converstaion with someone last night and I am in

total shock regarding what I was told. And that is so far removed from what people on here are saying

and what the press are reporting its unreal. No, I'm not claiming I'm in the know, but I would believe

what I was told above and beyond what I am reading on here right now.

I have kept away from this thread and just read the rantings, but had to post now, as one or two people

are getting way way out of order with their accusations.

And as for the "You were nothing more than a glorified taxi driver" brigade... how little you really know.

I said a couple of years ago, I should write a book about my time at Ipswich speedway.... maybe I should.

Wow that woke you up then! welcome to the thread,it'll be great to hear of your input now hopefully :D:D

If you are asking me to reveal things I've come across over the years,it'd be wise to keep them to myself,quite probably as some others that use the forum do,I have only posted things that I feel I can,maybe we'll hear of WHAT YOU KNOW regarding things far removed from what you are reading on hear?

Maybe you shouldn't take in too much of that 3 hour conversation if it goes against a majority of other views and press publications

I never said the Louis should work for free,I state the FACT that they draw wages from the club,which obviously has a relevance to the profits etc for example does Bob Dugard make his living from Eastbourne? I doubt it as only 1 club is reported to have made money,in fact it's a shame the Louis didn't have some back up like Mr Dugard does

Regarding your point about putting his house up previously,that was a time when yes it was needed,I was talking about the situation now as we are in a whole different current climate

The club without the Louis gone to the wall years ago? I beg to differ as I know of someone who has repeatedley approached the promotion about taking it over

Also if you state that you are "not claiming to be in the know" then it seems odd to believe what you've been told

As for your last statement,well maybe we can all look forward to reading a book by yourself if we know very little? Maybe then I will write one too,and for the record,I started slating the Louis a while back regarding the Briggo episode.....how little you really know i might add

I suggest before replying maybeyou should read my posts carefully

Anyhow it looks like it's mostly down to the AGM now and let's hope the Witches will still be running next season

No point Ipswich agreeing to remain in the Elite league and just making the numbers up. They clearly haven't got any money so the team will again be built cheaply, be uncompetitive, the crowds will then stay away again like they did towards the end of the season and the club will lose even more money and be in even more danger. Its a vicious circle and i haven't a clue what the answer is. If investment doesn't come then it looks very bleak indeed.

Ok thanks for the explanation,it just seems like loads of trees driving from the a14 direction,surely the point would be comparing it to Poole which is in the middle of a town,surrounded by houses and if people complain,i've not heard or seen it in the local press.

Ah, but you're talking about Suffolk here - it's full of NIMBYs and dullards. The Evening Star once had to chop a regular satirical column when Kesgrave was described as a middle-class land of privet hedges and Datsuns, and the loocals protested at this affront to their lives.

On a related note, why are speedway fans so uptight about dirty washing and rumours being discussed in public? It's doen all the time in popular games such as soccer and rugby, but as soon as someone says anything remotely challenging about speedway you are pounced on by the unelected guardians of righteousness who seem to think that they have every right to criticise the critical posters, but can't accept any criticism themselves.

I wear my heart on my sleeve - I don't hide behind anonymous names (I learned the hard way many years ago!). I used to talk to JL regularly and have even exchanged e-mails with Chris Louis this year. Both of these chaps are absolute heroes of mine in terms of their speedway achievements for Ipswich and Britian. However, the whole situation needs a new injection of life, and I genuinely think they should relinquish the organisation and management to a business & commercially experienced person, while they concentrate on the speedway, at which they are very good (despite the fascination with mediocre Poles - but then I'll never let that go! :lol: ) It's worth noting that the successful years coincided with Dave Pavitt and/or Magda Louis being involved - both having much more of a business/commercial approach - not forgetting the contribution of Mike Western, who constantly drove things forward and was a very bad loser (in a positive way!).

The mismanagement and incestuousness of the BSPA cheesed me off several years ago, and the sad decline of Ipswich reflects the overall failure of the sport in this country - kept alive by goodwill and Sky money.

So many people who know so many 'facts' - either the club is unfortunate enough to have people on the inside that are happy to disclose confidential information such as directors pay details or these 'facts' are perhaps not as accurate as some would have us believe!

After reading an article by Stuart Douglas recently it appears that the root causes of the current losses in the Elite League are far deeper than what is going on at Foxhall. He has invested heavily in Lakeside over the last five years but still not been able to make a profit so even if 'Mr Big of Ipswich' had taken over the club we may well still be facing difficult times.

If the fat cats in the Elite League still refuse to consider anyone else but themselves at the forthcoming AGM then the number of clubs who can no longer compete with them may be more than the two that are rumoured.

So many people who know so many 'facts' - either the club is unfortunate enough to have people on the inside that are happy to disclose confidential information such as directors pay details or these 'facts' are perhaps not as accurate as some would have us believe!

After reading an article by Stuart Douglas recently it appears that the root causes of the current losses in the Elite League are far deeper than what is going on at Foxhall. He has invested heavily in Lakeside over the last five years but still not been able to make a profit so even if 'Mr Big of Ipswich' had taken over the club we may well still be facing difficult times.

If the fat cats in the Elite League still refuse to consider anyone else but themselves at the forthcoming AGM then the number of clubs who can no longer compete with them may be more than the two that are rumoured.

As has been said did Stuart Douglas take over Lakeside to make a profit ? most sports clubs lose money that includes speedway teams in Not only in The El bu also t Pl .....sports clubs should be run by people who can lose the money not by people who think and need to make a profit.

As has been said did Stuart Douglas take over Lakeside to make a profit ? most sports clubs lose money that includes speedway teams in Not only in The El bu also t Pl .....sports clubs should be run by people who can lose the money not by people who think and need to make a profit.

Well he didn't appear to be very impressed at his lack of return so I assume he thought that there was potential for profit when he took it over. Can't quite het my head round running a business without making some money from it but if I had millions in my bank account perhaps I would think differently.

Anyone who runs a club should indeed come in with eyes open but when the losses are allegedly increasing and out of control then then it doesn't matter how much they love the sport does it :unsure:

Well he didn't appear to be very impressed at his lack of return so I assume he thought that there was potential for profit when he took it over. Can't quite het my head round running a business without making some money from it but if I had millions in my bank account perhaps I would think differently.

What at Lakeside ? i would have thought someone like him would have had a good look at the Books ....most Sports clubs are run by people who are well off and use it a hobby / play thing r even for tax reasons .

If Mr Douglas took over a speedway club or Mr Frost for that matter to make money then they would be Fools but they are anythink but that .

What at Lakeside ? i would have thought someone like him would have had a good look at the Books ....most Sports clubs are run by people who are well off and use it a hobby / play thing r even for tax reasons .

If Mr Douglas took over a speedway club or Mr Frost for that matter to make money then they would be Fools but they are anythink but that .

Maybe there is a difference between making money and acceptable losses? If I have a hobby and it takes up 20% of my disposable income and then it starts to take up 50% im going to think about why that hobby is costing so much more. If I can make it cost less then why wouldnt I? Doesnt mean I want to make money at it but there is an acceptable cost and an unacceptable cost. Surely you can see the difference?