British Speedway Forum

Just got a little bit more information on Linus Sundstrom

Linus Sundstrom was not given assurances by the Witches that they would participate in the Elite League and Linus was also not given any sort of assurances that the witches would build a competitive side.

And where may I ask did you get this information? And don't say a "reliable source" :rolleyes::lol:

Ips forced Cov to buy him!!!

That tends to be the procedure when a rider wants to move away and the club don't want them too.

Coventry were not forced to sign Nicholls, they wanted him and I'm sure their investment will be proved worthwhile with 10 years of loan fees while Ipswich could go out of business.

Edited by superguest

Why don't they. Isn't there talk about Harris not staying if Coventry move their race night to Friday because of GP pratice????

In which case, Coventry need to keep their options open

Coventry's race night is friday where have you been for the last few seasons?

I'd give it up mate i really would. I keep reading the "everyone i speak to would return if we went Premier league", well most i've spoken to at Foxhall would find something else to do on Thursday nights if the club went Premier League!

During the past 2 or 3 years the group who i have been going to speedway with has reduced from 12 everyweek to 4 or 5. 3 of those who no longer go to foxhall travel to Rye House on a Saturday night. Remember 1988 the side was crap & the following season the club dropped to the old NL. 1989 the crowds went up so i don't get why everyone seems to think the crowds will drop to a few hundred everyweek if the club goes pl. Would the crowds for el racing be any better if the side was winning all the time i don't think so remember 1998 foxhall was hardly packed everyweek was it. The hang up on seeing the big boys in the so called elite league makes me laugh who are these big name world class riders? Hans Andersen Chis Holder Freddie Lindgren & one or two others.

During the past 2 or 3 years the group who i have been going to speedway with has reduced from 12 everyweek to 4 or 5. 3 of those who no longer go to foxhall travel to Rye House on a Saturday night. Remember 1988 the side was crap & the following season the club dropped to the old NL. 1989 the crowds went up so i don't get why everyone seems to think the crowds will drop to a few hundred everyweek if the club goes pl. Would the crowds for el racing be any better if the side was winning all the time i don't think so remember 1998 foxhall was hardly packed everyweek was it. The hang up on seeing the big boys in the so called elite league makes me laugh who are these big name world class riders? Hans Andersen Chis Holder Freddie Lindgren & one or two others.

You've got to be kidding? I can remember the crowds being fantastic that year we won the treble in 98.

Lets get one thing straight here about the nonsense about the dropping crowd levels at Foxhall this season. The tail end of the season for sure, the crowds dipped alarmingly. But only the last 6 or 8 weeks of the season when bottom place was expertly secured and we had nothing to ride for.

This season, prior to the last few weeks of the season, unless i need to go to specsavers the crowd has been exactly the same as it has been for years and looked pretty healthy for most of it. The early part of the season they were VERY healthy although i accept that the new track probably played a big part in that.

Like it or not, those few riders you've mentioned are still a pull for a lot of fans. Me included. Andersen, Holder, Lindgren, Harris, Nicholls, Bjerre are hugely talented, very fast exciting riders. No disrespect at all intended, but watching Harris and Nicholls racing flat out and having a ding dong battle will ALWAYS be more absorbing to me than watching David Howe and Carl Wilkinson battle it out in the Premier League.

When March comes around and its brass monkey weather, dark and miserable, an Elite League meeting at Foxhall will tempt me out of my warm armchair far more than a Premier League meeting would. I've seen the words "snooty" and Elite League snob" being bandied around on here and you can call me either. If prefering to watch Elite rather than Premier League speedway makes me "snooty" then so be it. I couldn't really give a toss.

The Crowds would not go up if Ippo were winning all the Time ? blink.gif Got to be one most stupid comments ive ever read on here .

Gearhead, Maybe i'm not a true speedway fan, but Premier League just doesn't appeal to me for a number of reasons. Certainly not enough to spend £15 a week on. I also follow Ipswich town football club too, but i'd never say i'd rather us stay in the championship where we can win matches and stay competitive rather than get stuffed by the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea. I'd still want to see the club promoted and see the top clubs at Portman Road and have a go at them. Just as i'd like to see the Witches keep punching in the top flight.

As i've already said, one of the big things that bugs me about the Premier League is losing your talented riders. I think its total nonsense to say lets drop down and re-group and build up our asset base, how the hell can you do that in the Premier League?

Kings Lynn fans loved Darcy Ward, but lost him after one season. The Rye House fans idolise Linus Sundstrom, but he's now outgrown them and they've lost him. Same Newcastle and Kenni Larsen. It must be so frustrating being a supporter of a Premier League side knowing that your one top talented rider is simply being trained up for his next club in the Elite League.

I think its dangerous to think a drop down is the answer. What if the Louis' put together a ropey Premier League side and they struggle in that League too? No sky money to fall back on, still stadium rent to pay, and not much coming through the gate. How much did Edinburgh lose this season? Was it 40k? Birmingham lost money too its been revealed and so have others.

At the end of the day the Louis' are running the speedway club and they can do whatever they see fit. If they think Premier League racing is a better bet and thats where they want to go then fair play to them.

I dont quite understand,if you are ok watching Town at the lower level,what's wrong with watching the Withches at PL level? Ipswich Town were in the Premier league not too long ago,then were relegated,did you watch them before they dropped? if so then you'd basically be doing the same with speedway.The football team is no different in losing better players that move onto Premier Football.I can however empathise with you on your take of the situation,when Town were doing pretty well in the top flight they had some decent players,higher profile i suppose, I used to see them sometimes as I knew some of them,when they went down,most moved on and I havn't seen them since,and I wouldn't know a current player if i bumped right into one its a bit bigger scale in football,more exagerrated but I suppose i know how you feel,however if i'd been a fan im pretty certain i'd probably still of gone to watch when they dropped.

certainly it's their perogative to do as they wish,all i'm saying is that if they're struggling now,maybe going PL would benefit at well under half the running costs might be a solution

By the law of averages, the MtM response would be:

"What a load of rubbish."

:D

:D:D

Iremember some great National league days dont you? and didnt even get bored of going to Hackney 5 times a year!

Gotta admit I'd be disappointed if Ipswich drop down to the PL, I rather enjoy my Bank Holiday trips to Foxhall, I don't often get chance to travel to any away meetings short of Ipswich or Coventry and the crowd at Ipswich are considerably better than the crowd at Coventry!

I dont quite understand,if you are ok watching Town at the lower level,what's wrong with watching the Withches at PL level?

Its hard to explain really but i guess my passion for football outweighs my passion for speedway.

great post agree 99%

the drop in leagues was an excellent move,any winning side would gain crowds though but 1998 wont happen again ever,Ipswich arguably had a higher class of riders in that team,than the whole league put together could make now (sadly :( )

Mr Shovelar,you're right about the rider not worrying so much about the team though and way more about being paid,in fact a number 1 is better off in a weaker team as he'd be likeley to gain extra rides,(tac sub race win,3 points,£500-£600,thanks very much :wink: )

MY GUESS, " WITCHES FOR SALE ** £1 ** AND THAT INCLUDES ALL THAT GOES WITH IT " :shock::shock:

Latest comment on the Witches forum, which is the most positive comment I've seen so far:

jbn: « Reply #56 Yesterday at 23:58 »

"i think people are getting a little carried away there will speedway at foxhall next year and the louis will be there the promotion are trying to get a sponsor who has yet to sign on dotted line thats all and they are trying to bargain with the eliite league who need us and eastbourne to make there league viable."