British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FenTiger666

Mildenhall - Who Decides Who The New Promoter Is?

You cannot run a professional speedway club, even in the NL, if you wait until January to decide what you are doing.

Dave Coventry has been in the press over the last couple of weeks talking about how the next promotion will need to be very professional and I completely agree but waiting until all your competition have spoken to the best riders before you even start is not professional.

Also with the club closing mid season, there is a MAJOR piece, of promotion that needs to take place with the local community, in fact it should have started already. If any new promotion think they can pick up the riders that other teams dont want, and start promoting in February they are going to be in for one heck of a shock.

And the stadiums future is a smokescreen if they use it for any of the above, Dave Coventry has already said the result is certain, and the person who brought it has left the area anyway.

Mildenhall needs to be run by businessmen as a business, not by ex riders who think they can run a club with no business experience.

Finally I dont see Peterborough moving, as Neil Watson says, they have a track already.

Interesting post.

Of course, ideally, no promotion would wait until January before confirming plans for running a club etc. Ideally, you would have plans to promote and some riders, if not a complete team, signed before Christmas.

However, in the context of the court case relating to the future of the stadium - in this instance I dont think anyone interested in running Mildenhall in 2011 would have any choice in the matter. Until the case is resolved, I dont see how anyone can make any firm plans with regards running Speedway at West Row in 2011. Any businessman with any interest in running the club could not do so without knowing what the future of the venue was.

In terms of the outcome of the case - until it comes to court, and a ruling is made, it would be very unwise to pre-empt that in any way and I'm sure all involved are very well aware of that.

Whether any prospective future promoter should have previous business or Speedway experience is an interesting question. I would certainly say that anyone taking over would be wise to ensure that they or their management team encompasses previous experience in both areas.

If the case regarding the future of the stadium has a positive outcome and is able to continue, then in terms of the Speedway, its worth remembering, for 2011 at least, that any Speedway at West Row, even in less than ideal circumstances regarding timescales, would be infinitely better than no Speedway at all.

If the club's longer term future beyond 2011 can be assured, then obviously, there would be scope for expecting arrangements to be sorted earlier in the winter.

Edited by neil3065

Thinking out loud and not even sure if I agree with this idea myself but here goes anyway, Peterborough have a track, Mildenhall have a league place, why don't Mildenhall ride at Peterborough ?, That would give any new promoter, a couple of extra months to sort out things rather than waiting for a court decision on West Row. It would ensure continued speedway at what in my opinion is the best track in the country, then next year, assuming the court case goes well and Peterborough speedway sort out there problems, then both clubs could revert back to their respective homes.

As I said this is me thinking out loud, and I am sure there's a 1001 reasons why this is not sensible, but at present I can't actually think of a reason why not.

And the stadiums future is a smokescreen if they use it for any of the above, Dave Coventry has already said the result is certain, and the person who brought it has left the area anyway.

I presume you mean the resident who keeps complaining. Is it definite they have moved ? and if so why the need for a court case anymore ?

You cannot run a professional speedway club, even in the NL, if you wait until January to decide what you are doing.

Dave Coventry has been in the press over the last couple of weeks talking about how the next promotion will need to be very professional and I completely agree but waiting until all your competition have spoken to the best riders before you even start is not professional.

Also with the club closing mid season, there is a MAJOR piece, of promotion that needs to take place with the local community, in fact it should have started already. If any new promotion think they can pick up the riders that other teams dont want, and start promoting in February they are going to be in for one heck of a shock.

Mildenhall needs to be run by businessmen as a business, not by ex riders who think they can run a club with no business experience.

Finally I dont see Peterborough moving, as Neil Watson says, they have a track already.

Now here's someone who knows what they're talking about - absolutely spot on. And could justifiably be termed as professional.

Although it looks like there may be some positive news about Mildenhall I am concerned that it looks like the BSPA have left the decision on who the new promotion may be to Dave Coventry who is a stock car promoter and has no background in speedway !!

I thought proposals went to the BSPA (who now own the Mildenhall licence) and they would decide who was "fit and proper" to own the licence to run the Fen Tigers. Then, like other clubs, those people would talk to Mr Coventry, who owns the stadium about rent etc.

It seems that in this case, its the other way round and Mr Coventry is deciding who will promote at Mildenhall.

That cannot be right surely ?!?

One of my major concerns on this is that of self interest. Mr Coventry has stated that he thinks that £1200 rent is acceptable. Well it would be for him but no speedway promotion would pay that in this climate. Just look at the announcement of the rent reduction at Workington.

The BSPA seem to be leaving the decision on who will promote at Mildenhall to a man whose only interest is getting the highest rent possible.

Finally just to say, this is not a dig at Mr Coventry who I dont know I am just going on what has been published, but it just seems strange to me but then with what has happened to the Elite league at the AGM perhaps nothing should surprise us anymore.

Its a shame theres all this red tape and bureaucracy around who promotes at Mildenhall. Its a lovely little track and stadium and all the poor suffering fans want is a team to support and watch each week or so. Anyway all you fans at Mildenhall all the best hope things work out for you all from your neighbouring fans down the A14 at Ipswich.

Its a shame theres all this red tape and bureaucracy around who promotes at Mildenhall. Its a lovely little track and stadium and all the poor suffering fans want is a team to support and watch each week or so. Anyway all you fans at Mildenhall all the best hope things work out for you all from your neighbouring fans down the A14 at Ipswich.

To true and Dave Coventrys latest comments don't help.

If 3 to 4 businessmen want to have detailed meetings with him then that is a good thing, its called carrying out due diligence to make sure everything is as it should be, and he's complaining about them.

I would have thought that having 3 or 4 businessmen in charge of the Fen Tigers would be better then one fan, as with the last promotion, but as businessmen as I would assume they also dont want to pay the totally unwarranted rent demands that Dave Coventry has so that's why he is not willing to back their proposal with the BSPA, which has been with the BSPA since October - yes that's correct Fen Tigers fans, there has been a business proposal to buy the Fen Tigers licence with the BSPA since October and they have done nothing with it !!!!

If they have pulled out due to all the delays, and the lack of any response from the BSPA for over 2 months who could blame them.

Looks like Dave Coventrys wishes will take precedence over what is best for the Fen Tigers, what's the betting the new promotion will be another ex-rider or manager trying to run the club instead of a business taking it over.

I have said before Dave Coventry has pretty much full control over the Fen Tigers future, as the only place they can race is at his stadium. No matter how much that may upset some people thats the fact. Dave can set the rent at what he desires and if no promoter can make a go of it at those rates then speedway isnt viable at Mildenhall, there are no alternatives that I can think off?

Unless someone can gain a piece of land somewhere close by and gain planning permission and start from scratch again, then Dave is firmly in the driving seat.

I hope that a team can be put together again and run at Mildenhall, but in the current climate, with crowds down at most sports clubs, then I think it will be difficult.

To true and Dave Coventrys latest comments don't help.

If 3 to 4 businessmen want to have detailed meetings with him then that is a good thing, its called carrying out due diligence to make sure everything is as it should be, and he's complaining about them.

I would have thought that having 3 or 4 businessmen in charge of the Fen Tigers would be better then one fan, as with the last promotion, but as businessmen as I would assume they also dont want to pay the totally unwarranted rent demands that Dave Coventry has so that's why he is not willing to back their proposal with the BSPA, which has been with the BSPA since October - yes that's correct Fen Tigers fans, there has been a business proposal to buy the Fen Tigers licence with the BSPA since October and they have done nothing with it !!!!

If they have pulled out due to all the delays, and the lack of any response from the BSPA for over 2 months who could blame them.

Looks like Dave Coventrys wishes will take precedence over what is best for the Fen Tigers, what's the betting the new promotion will be another ex-rider or manager trying to run the club instead of a business taking it over.

If I understand you correctly these 'businessmen' can't come to an agreement with Dave Coventry, so what the hell is the point the BSPA looking at their proposal until they do. Even if the BSPA were all in favour, they'd have nowhere to run their meetings.

It is down to Dave who promotes at West Row but it should not be forgotten that it is, at least to a degree, in his interests to have speedway at Mildenhall. After all, he can have someone there paying rent and people eating and drinking on a Sunday afternoon or he can have it empty.

Has anyone ever looked at the possibility of talking to the owners the Newmarket go kart circuits, Red lodge or Wildtracks Karting to see if they would be interested in having a speedway track at the venues. I know it is not Mildenhall but it is close and while it is a long shot, for NL racing with limited racing calendar and the location of both tracks they could draw on the Fen Tigers current supporters and noise should not be too much of an issue. It would be a shame to not keep the club going in one form or another and perhaps these type of venues could offer some stability given that they already hold motor sport.

If I understand you correctly these 'businessmen' can't come to an agreement with Dave Coventry, so what the hell is the point the BSPA looking at their proposal until they do. Even if the BSPA were all in favour, they'd have nowhere to run their meetings.

It is down to Dave who promotes at West Row but it should not be forgotten that it is, at least to a degree, in his interests to have speedway at Mildenhall. After all, he can have someone there paying rent and people eating and drinking on a Sunday afternoon or he can have it empty.

No, Dave Coventry critised these businessmen in the Speedway Star because they wanted a number of meeings with him, and that is the professional way to do business.

What the hell is the point of the BSPA giving the licence to someone who doesnt know how to run a business, and if you accept the amount of rent Dave Coventry wants, you are no businessman and you dont need to put the sarcastic ' ' around businessmen, these guys goes know what they are doing.

What would you rather have, promoters who know how to run a business (and that includes reaching an agreement on a sensible rent) or someone that Dave Coventry can get to pay £1300, and then for how long - 2 months and then the Fen Tigers disappear again.

Maybe the post under yours is the solution, get the licence first and then move the Fen Tigers to another track !!!

After all the important thing here is the Fen Tigers, not the stadium.

After all the important thing here is the Fen Tigers, not the stadium.

I think that to be honest the two are inextricably linked, without a Speedway team Dave Coventry will have an empty stadium on a Sunday as Halifaxtiger points out, but without a stadium a Mildenhall speedway team cannot run!

Halifaxtiger is right that it is surely in Dave Coventry's interest to have speedway at Mildenhall Stadium, but whoever decides to run it be it a 'professional businessman' or not is in my opinion up against it from the start.

Kings Lynn supporters have the new experience of EL speedway plus on free weeks it seems the 'Young Stars' to support, whilst Ipswich decision to regroup in the PL gives their supporters regular quality weekly speedway. It would not be an exageration to suppose that about 15 - 20% of supporters at West Row on a Sunday are from these two clubs, and with regular speedway available to them in 2011 plus the current economic climate we may find our friends from Suffolk and Norfolks visits more sporadic. Add to that those that may have been lost after last seasons 'sudden' closure that left a number of supporters out of pocket and there is work to be done.

I have no idea if the rent figures being quoted are correct, and to be frank they are not our business, but if they are then that takes about 120 paying adults out of the weekly budget, on crowds of 375-400 it doesn't leave much to play with once all the other costs are covered.

I sincerely hope we have a team running as Mildenhall in 2011, but whoever it is are going to need deep pockets or get out into the community and really push the club to supporters and potential sponsors alike, sadly the delay in the NL meeting until January does not help that one bit!

Edited by PhilK

Has anyone ever looked at the possibility of talking to the owners the Newmarket go kart circuits, Red lodge or Wildtracks Karting to see if they would be interested in having a speedway track at the venues. I know it is not Mildenhall but it is close and while it is a long shot, for NL racing with limited racing calendar and the location of both tracks they could draw on the Fen Tigers current supporters and noise should not be too much of an issue. It would be a shame to not keep the club going in one form or another and perhaps these type of venues could offer some stability given that they already hold motor sport.

what about mildenhall running at peterborough now theyre not in the elite league?no problems with rent or d. coventry

I think it's a very sad situation for the Tigers. I recall watching the Tigers at Ellesmere Port when they won the league (Perhaps someone can tell me when this was, and remind me how old I am :sad: ) They had a great team, and it's sad to see how far they have fallen (Like so many speedway teams). I hope that the Tigers can rise again :wink:

I think it's a very sad situation for the Tigers. I recall watching the Tigers at Ellesmere Port when they won the league (Perhaps someone can tell me when this was, and remind me how old I am :sad: ) They had a great team, and it's sad to see how far they have fallen (Like so many speedway teams). I hope that the Tigers can rise again :wink:

Sorry about this Lionheart, but it was 1979 when Midenhall pipped Rye House to the National League title by one point. As a footnote, there were a total of 37 teams in the British and National Leagues. Happy days.

what about mildenhall running at peterborough now theyre not in the elite league?no problems with rent or d. coventry

I dont know but I would imagine the rent at the East of England showground would be significantly more than for Mildenhall?