British Speedway Forum

Ok i've Googled until i gone goggle-eyed to no avail. Anybody know when the draw is for the meeting?

The Facebook and Wikipedia pages just say draw is "on at 1300 CST"!!!

Are we still stuck with the awful day before scenario?. It was supposed to be a grand new procedure this year, making the draw a week in advance and possibly at the end of the previous week's GP. We are one week in advance of the meeting now.

DON'T know who gave you the idea that the draw would be made a week in advance. It was never more than idle speculation in the UK. I am not a fan of the current procedure but it has proved very popular with online hits and foreign speedway media who, unlike their British counterparts, have a lot of newspaper space to fill on a Saturday morning prior to the event and the Friday draw will always provide an angle.

DON'T know who gave you the idea that the draw would be made a week in advance. It was never more than idle speculation in the UK. I am not a fan of the current procedure but it has proved very popular with online hits and foreign speedway media who, unlike their British counterparts, have a lot of newspaper space to fill on a Saturday morning prior to the event and the Friday draw will always provide an angle.

Too be honest, i hate to break it to you, but i'm fairly sure it was the Speedway Star :) Don't sue me if i'm mistaken or i'll have to cancel my subscription to pay for the damages.

Do all the GP programmes manage to have the rider grids printed for every GP in time for the meeting still? It would be an awful situation if one had to laboriously fill in the whole scorechart and race grids. I'd consider it amateurish and embarrassing if it is the case.

Unfortunately, i've never been able to be free to attend a GP (these straitjackets are soooo hard to get out of when your surname isn't Houdini)

It was never more than idle speculation in the UK.

There you go manchesterpaul, don't listen to idle speculation in the UK, Polish rumours are far more accurate.

There you go manchesterpaul, don't listen to idle speculation in the UK, Polish rumours are far more accurate.

Chuckle Chuckle

Too be honest, i hate to break it to you, but i'm fairly sure it was the Speedway Star :) Don't sue me if i'm mistaken or i'll have to cancel my subscription to pay for the damages.

Do all the GP programmes manage to have the rider grids printed for every GP in time for the meeting still? It would be an awful situation if one had to laboriously fill in the whole scorechart and race grids. I'd consider it amateurish and embarrassing if it is the case.

Unfortunately, i've never been able to be free to attend a GP (these straitjackets are soooo hard to get out of when your surname isn't Houdini)

IF there was something in SS it was nothing official and just wishful thinking by those who don't like the Friday draw... but, as I say, it has proved popular by the overseas media including some TV stations who use footage of the draw.

At some events (usually the ones where BSI themselves are responsible the programme) separate race-cards are printed on Friday night and loosely inserted into the programmes. But all programmes include a race grid but minus the riders names in draw order. It actually isn't a big deal and seems much less of an issue outside the UK.

At some events (usually the ones where BSI themselves are responsible the programme) separate race-cards are printed on Friday night and loosely inserted into the programmes.

How hard can it be in this day-and-age to run a few thousand race cards through a colour laser printer before every GP...? :unsure:

But all programmes include a race grid but minus the riders names in draw order.

Ermm.. isn't that called the heat format which has been pretty much the same since the 1930s? Whilst I'd agree the absence of rider names is no big deal if one uses the Continental (German?) style for the layout, with modern technology it's hardly impossible to do the draw and publish a complete race card in time for the GP itself.

How hard can it be in this day-and-age to run a few thousand race cards through a colour laser printer before every GP...? :unsure:

Not sure what you are suggesting here....IF I was buying a programme at a GP, I'd feel kinda insulted to be handed an A4 sheet of paper that had been run off on a printer the night before.

I'd be much happier to just have a nice glossy programme with a grid showing the numbers down the left and a gap to write in who has been selected at that number, then the heats across the top and colored boxes to show who is in each heat....60 seconds max to write in the rider names in the grid and all is sorted...

As I implied, I dunno if that IS how it's done at GPs. I don't think I have bought a programme at a GP in the last decade despite doing several each year... :oops:

Ermm.. isn't that called the heat format which has been pretty much the same since the 1930s?

Ermm.. No. Not if you take 1998-2004 into account.

Ermm.. isn't that called the heat format which has been pretty much the same since the 1930s? Whilst I'd agree the absence of rider names is no big deal if one uses the Continental (German?) style for the layout, with modern technology it's hardly impossible to do the draw and publish a complete race card in time for the GP itself.

THAT'S what BSI do at Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Cardiff, Terenzano and Malilla... the programmes are produced near Vojens, in Denmark, and for that GP last year they printed the race grid section immediately after the draw and included it in the programme.

To be honest I am not 100 per cent sure what other venues do but believe most if not all do print separate race cards that are giuven out with programmes. If they don't they could and should, as you say Humphrey.

Not sure what you are suggesting here....IF I was buying a programme at a GP, I'd feel kinda insulted to be handed an A4 sheet of paper that had been run off on a printer the night before.

I'd be much happier to just have a nice glossy programme with a grid showing the numbers down the left and a gap to write in who has been selected at that number, then the heats across the top and colored boxes to show who is in each heat....60 seconds max to write in the rider names in the grid and all is sorted...

THAT'S exactly what you get ...

As I implied, I dunno if that IS how it's done at GPs. I don't think I have bought a programme at a GP in the last decade despite doing several each year... :oops:

The Glossy GP programme was sold for a tenner in Cardiff in 2009, which contained a blank scorecard in the centre spread. However, they also inserted a lose colour scorecard insert with the riders names filled in as the draw had been made on the Friday. So you get the best of both worlds. It also means that you don't ruin your programme by making (usually alcohol related) mistakes. You can make these on the insert and correct any mistakes if you wish at a later date on your programme.

Only one day to go! :drink::approve:

I'm panicing now - the ticket website isn't letting me buy tickets for Saturday :( can anyone give me any advice?

That's what I'm going through, but the moneybookers payment site isn't working and says it won't make any transactions for 24 hours.