British Speedway Forum
BARNES

Why No Second British Gp?

I think a second GP round could work. The perfect place for it in my opinion would be Hampden Park Scotland.

Although there is only Glasgow & Edinburgh I'm sure there would be a great number of locals there plus the travelling fans from Northern clubs like Newcastle, Redcar, Workington, Berwick maybe Belle Vue.

Make it cheap for the first season, get the locals in and take it from there.

I agree Screamer, Cardiff should be re-named the Welsh GP and we then could have a Scottish GP at Hampden Park B)

Hampden also isn't in a great part of the city for restaurants and pubs from my experience......i always had to walk half an hour to Paddy Neesons or the Queens Park Bar :) Would love to see a GP in Glasgow and/or London.Don't think it is likely.And certainly doubt very much they will be anything like sell outs

Wouldn't be bothered either way as I live in Swindon about half-way between Cardiff and London. Have seen Grand Prix and World Finals at both. Like the roof at Cardiff which I don't think Wembley or the Olympic stadium have? :unsure: And close proximity of bars and shops.

Drove through White City last night, remembered there was an underused decent-size venue that used to have speedway in the 70s.

Wimbledon and West Ham were large stadiums as well as far as I can remember from the 60s. Can't remember their capacities?

Odsal was a good venue and central for everyone in UK.

Edited by keef

Prague is 20 minutes on a tram to a hellish looking area of Prague with a single, hellish looking pub outside.

Lies, the pub outside the stadium in Prague is great.

Lies, the pub outside the stadium in Prague is great.

It doesn't look very appealing from the outside though, with all the graffitti and smashed windows. Plus it costs more for a lager there than it does inside the stadium :o

Wouldn't be bothered either way as I live in Swindon about half-way between Cardiff and London. Have seen Grand Prix and World Finals at both. Like the roof at Cardiff which I don't think Wembley or the Olympic stadium have? :unsure: And close proximity of bars and shops.

Drove through White City last night, remembered there was an underused decent-size venue that used to have speedway in the 70s.

Wimbledon and West Ham were large stadiums as well as far as I can remember from the 60s. Can't remember their capacities?

Odsal was a good venue and central for everyone in UK.

Wimbledon could hold about 42,000(Probable down to 6.000 maximum today) and West Ham,s Custom House 60.000. White City was constructed to hold 68,000 seated or as many as 130,000 standing

Just browsing Wikipaedia, stating West Ham could hold 120,000, the record speedway crowd was 83,000 for England-Australia test. :blink:

Wimbledon has 8,000 seater grandstand.

White City became part of the BBC complex, can remember QPR playing a few games there in the 60s, and the World Cup staged 1 match in 1966.

Was rumoured QPR sharing with Fulham in a brand-new 42,000 stadium, but stadium demolished in 85.

Sad no speedway in London when it dominated speedway for 30 years. :(