British Speedway Forum
BARNES

Why No Second British Gp?

I find it annoying seeing the weakened down elite league with hardly any grand prix stars in it.

As such, surely the british public need a second british gp every year?

Last season poland had three, and denmark and sweden had two.

From what i have seen watching the gp's on sky, some of the stadiums do not even look up to much, so it cannot be that its just down to our speedway stadia lacking!

Okay, it will not be up to the standard of cardiff, but surely coventry's stadium is up to the job of hosting a british gp like it previously has?

Easy answer a 2nd British round would split the crowd you'd not get 45.000 at Cardiff .

It has been stated before by the big man that they wouldn't think of a second GP until Cardiff is a sell out :rolleyes:

If you can't sell out one GP, why would you stage a second that would double your costs and may well split the crowd? The Cardiff GP is undoubtedly also the showcase round of the SGP, and another British GP would potentially dilute its impact.

If you can't sell out one GP, why would you stage a second that would double your costs and may well split the crowd?

I guess you would need to ask the Swedes and the Danes to answer that question!

Easy answer a 2nd British round would split the crowd you'd not get 45.000 at Cardiff .

Did Parken drop off that much when Vojens was added?

Surely 10,000 people at Coventry would not lead to 10,000 people less at Cardiff, of that 10,000 some would be locals who don't travel to Cardiff anyway and a lot would do both.

Do people really think that people will say, "Well, I've been to Coventry for a GP this year, I'm not going to the Millenium Stadium this time"?

Did people not turn up with Coventry held the GP challenge?

I think a second GP round could work. The perfect place for it in my opinion would be Hampden Park Scotland.

Although there is only Glasgow & Edinburgh I'm sure there would be a great number of locals there plus the travelling fans from Northern clubs like Newcastle, Redcar, Workington, Berwick maybe Belle Vue.

Make it cheap for the first season, get the locals in and take it from there.

Do sweden and denmark both sell out, and if so, what are their capacities please?

I know for sure the denmark gp in the stadium with the temp track never looks sold out!

Do sweden and denmark both sell out, and if so, what are their capacities please?

I know for sure the denmark gp in the stadium with the temp track never looks sold out!

No they don't sell out.But that has little bearing on IMG's attitude to Britain.Different country,different situation......

Did Parken drop off that much when Vojens was added?

Surely 10,000 people at Coventry would not lead to 10,000 people less at Cardiff, of that 10,000 some would be locals who don't travel to Cardiff anyway and a lot would do both.

Do people really think that people will say, "Well, I've been to Coventry for a GP this year, I'm not going to the Millenium Stadium this time"?

Did people not turn up with Coventry held the GP challenge?

I wouldn’t go to Cardiff if there was a GP at Coventry.

There are multiple GPs in Poland because they sell out and the locals are prepared to pay IMG/BSI their asking price.

Sweden is an interesting one, but there were rumours going around a few years ago that they were awarded two GPs to resolve some sort of legal issue.

With Denmark, one wonders if the award of a GP to Vojens was part of the deal to retire Olsen as SGP Race Director.

While Brandon is a fine Elite stadium it doesn't compare to Cardiff in facilties and capacity.

Not possible but Wembley would be ideal for crowd size as it was in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s. Population of about 19 million in London and south-east, within hour's drive of Wembley. Don't think Hampden would attract many peeps though.