British Speedway Forum
scribbler

Why Bother

It's up to the supporters to get out there and back their NL teams surely, no-one's running a charity here after all. Belle Vue have stated their intention of running an NL team this year but if the fans don't get behind it it won't last the season.

Re your 'He must be good, he's an Aussie' remark, Rhidassa, that probably explains why we have British Talent Scouts spending a large part of the Northern Winter Downunder every year, unless it's for the climate.

This young Seppoo has excellent credentials; the likes of Penhall and Ermolenko pushing him may count for something wouldn't you say?

They pushed Ricky Wells...we all know how that turned out ;)

Burmeister may be no better than the Brit options like Branney, T Allen, Clews etc but they have been tried and tested at PL level and have proved that they are more than likely not good enough for the EL. Burmeister may well be out of his depth too but Wolves obviously believe he is worth the risk.

Before we can demand that EL and even PL teams should contain X amount of Brits we need to sort out under 15 speedway so that the standard increases in the NL and there is an eventual conveyor belt of talent. Just look how good young Scandinavians and Aussies are when they come over here, and its because they have organised and regular racing long before they get on a 500cc bike.

This is not to criticise those who work hard for the under 15's currently, they can only work with what they are given. The authorities need to pull their collective finger out and give them an infrastructure to work with, and hopefully in a few years we'll have more British reserves in the EL.

Edited by Bagpuss

...why not Chris Schramm or similar,he had some experience and was improving.

Poor example as he's not exactly a spring chicken, but I understand the point you are making.

It's up to the supporters to get out there and back their NL teams surely, no-one's running a charity here after all. Belle Vue have stated their intention of running an NL team this year but if the fans don't get behind it it won't last the season.

Re your 'He must be good, he's an Aussie' remark, Rhidassa, that probably explains why we have British Talent Scouts spending a large part of the Northern Winter Downunder every year, unless it's for the climate.

This young Seppoo has excellent credentials; the likes of Penhall and Ermolenko pushing him may count for something wouldn't you say?

The point is that the system in our own country is working against the British lads in some cases. For example with the new conversion rate in place Craig Cook, having done it the 'right' way and worked his way up, would be an EL 3.98 already. Who's going to take him on that average when you can bring in Jonny Foreigner on 4.00. Even at this early stage Cook is not an sensible option when you're looking at it from a numbers point of view. If he averages say 8 in the PL (entirely realistic) next season for example he'll be on 4.80 for the EL in '12.

I wouldn't read anything in to that if I were you. Hamill rated Wells. :P

Before we can demand that EL and even PL teams should contain X amount of Brits we need to sort out under 15 speedway so that the standard increases in the NL and there is an eventual conveyor belt of talent. Just look how good young Scandinavians and Aussies are when they come over here, and its because they have organised and regular racing long before they get on a 500cc bike.

That's always been my point of view as well, Baggy. No good blaming or penalising young blokes who just want to give it a go because of their nationality.

Honestly. No. Give a money an American passport and I think the Americans would back him. We often hear that this rider has back some other rider and they fail. A good rider doesn't always seem to be able to spot talent. Jason Crump has over the years advised Poole sign Sergei Darkin and BV sign Michael Rajkowski, neither lasted to the first set of GSAs :o

Why oh why do promoters NOT see and encouage the young brits. I hate cricket, but when I accidentlly saw on sky TV England beating the Aussies for the Ashes I stayed up several nights watching, The pure excitement from their barmy army was so infectous ( I read in a paper that they had spent thousands of pounds to be in Aussie ) I followed it until the end and loved the sheer joy of seeing us beat the worlds best....

.... with three South African born players in the side ;)

But at least they decided to play as England players - where they got their chance to play in an English League for an English team ;) Unlike Speedway riders who ride over here because they want to ride in the UK and then ride for their own country in International competitions :rolleyes:

Edited by scribbler

But at least they decided to play as England players - where they got their chance to play in an English League for an English team ;) Unlike Speedway riders who ride over here because they want to ride in the UK and then ride for their own country in International competitions :rolleyes:

This is true, but KP and Trott only came over here for the mega bucks on offer, not because of a yearning to play cricket for England. They could've easily stayed in their homeland and played for the country of their birth.

Spot on Dave . When Glasgow tried to run a junior side , two men and a dog turned out to watch it . Similarly the Dale Devils , though relatively successful , came to an end because it wasn't financially viable to run them with the crowd that would turn out at Armadale on a Saturday afternoon .

Seems Newport's NL side is also under some sort of threat too , according to the report in the Speedway Star . We all might bleat about young British riders not getting a proper chance , but when it comes to actually going out to support them - it's a different story .

Spot on Dave . When Glasgow tried to run a junior side , two men and a dog turned out to watch it . Similarly the Dale Devils , though relatively successful , came to an end because it wasn't financially viable to run them with the crowd that would turn out at Armadale on a Saturday afternoon .

Seems Newport's NL side is also under some sort of threat too , according to the report in the Speedway Star . We all might bleat about young British riders not getting a proper chance , but when it comes to actually going out to support them - it's a different story .

Some of the problem is that there are fans who will not watch any thing but EL speedway,thinking it is the best thing since sliced bread and anything below is inferior but nine times out of ten PL/NL is better.

Well I didn't know that shadders! ;) I'll bet there will have been some british born players in the Aussie side? that I dont know either! I know nothing much about the sport. :)

This is true, but KP and Trott only came over here for the mega bucks on offer, not because of a yearning to play cricket for England. They could've easily stayed in their homeland and played for the country of their birth.

Actually is 4.

Strauss,Prior, KP & Trott. 3 dual nationality, and KP qualified on residency.

KP & Trott did come over here for the money,Central contracts are incredible in comparison too what ave county cricketers earn.

Wonder if theyd have come over to play for glammy if they were forced too, seriously doubt it. :rolleyes:

People seem also to forget all the foreign coaches england have had & the Kolpak players that have improved the domestic game, & also allowing Scots & Irish players too qualify for residency.

Without the improvements within the game & additions mentioned, plus Australias decline then think England would have struggled,

Would Freddie & Simon Jones learnt the art of reverse swing, would the likes of Cook, Broad, Finn have come through as quickly if they didnt play in such a competitive league, or be of as high quality.

Would the likes of tremlett made the step up, if they didnt have the luxury of the england A side.

Would the likes of Jimmy Anderson, Ian Bell have improved as much seriously doubt it.

People seem to ignore all that.

As for british speedway, unless there is a radical overhaul not much will change.I think whatever way you look at it things need to be looked at with regards to assessed averages, but seriously doubt they will be, why would EL Promoters have any interest in changing it, The next big foreign talent, or foreign riders are the best options for them.

As for oppurtunities for brits i think it needs to be looked at in the future but isnt ready to be looked at yet. Any radical overhaul in policy regarding forcing clubs to use brits, is only going to encourage richer clubs under current rules to chuck money at the best young talent which will result in the exact same situation as we have with regards to the foreigners signing for EL clubs.

For me, ive said on other threads, that all these riders moving up from NL to PL progressed so much because of the NL last year, why do they want to move up becuase they need to race against better riders if they want to progress & improve.

Reducing the competitive nature of the NL wont be in the best interests of the young riders IMO.

Yep we have been, all newport fans have heard rumours about this for a long time.

Much will depend on the rules they set for next season i think, while other clubs have been expressing an interest in joining, or the possibility of running, we dont even know :(.

Itll be such a shame if we do, i feel sorry for the likes of Tim Webster, JWW, Tom Young, Granted situation will be resolved and we will all know soon but it will be sad if we do. Im a student and pretty much went to every hornets meeting & wasps meeting i could go to last year, and our attendances for the hornets meetings were seriously poor, but hopefully they will run again next year, and all the young riders we have got will be given places in a hornets team, but i dont think any wasps fan would be surprised if we didnt run :(.

Watched him ride for the US touring side. OK at NL level, maybe sneak a PL reserve place. Unless he's come on a hell of a lot in the meantime, EL? No way.

...nine times out of ten PL/NL is better.

Comments like that really bug me. There is equally good and poor meetings at all levels. I watched all three, four if you include the GPs, levels of speedway last season and enjoyed them all at times and half switched off at times at all of them.