British Speedway Forum
vog

Hackney Hawks

I see it has been hidden away on the BSPA site, but here says that Hackney will be competing in the NL, sharing duties at Lakeside and Rye House!

Does this mean the Cobras won't be competing, but it will pretty much be the same riders under the Hackney banner?

Edited by vog

I see it has been hidden away on the BSPA site, but here says that Hackney will be competing in the NL, sharing duties at Lakeside and Rye House!

Does this mean the Cobras won't be competing, but it will pretty much be the same riders under the Hackney banner?

Difficult to tell from the statement.

Whilst its great to have the Hawks back, it beggars belief that a nomad team like this can be welcomed into the fold, whilst a team with its own track, Mildenhall, is blocked.

I think rye house and hackney are included in the 8 teams,,unless belle view are already included ??... buxton,,scunny ,,stoke ,,cradley ,,newport ,,kings lynn,,rye ,,hackney...Other possibles include Peterborough,,Sittingbourne ? The Mildenhall situation is unbelievable.....

The club list on the BSPA site has been changed to those 8 plus the Islanders.

The club list on the BSPA site has been changed to those 8 plus the Islanders.

I have deleted my previous post as i forgot the Isle of wight who should have been in the 8 teams,,, in which case the Rye house and Lakeside team called Hackney Hawks may well be the only team in the National League representing both clubs,This is not official,just a possibility, but we will soon know for certain..This should certainly increase interest in the east end of London for ex Hackney Hawks fans....With Belle View also possibly joining its nice to see Elite league teams starting to take an interest in the 3rd tier of British Speedway and British youngsters...About the only good thing happening in the sport at the present time....

Edited by waco

Whilst its great to have the Hawks back, it beggars belief that a nomad team like this can be welcomed into the fold, whilst a team with its own track, Mildenhall, is blocked.

Not really ... Rye House and Lakeside have proven track records with excellent promotions, whereas Mildenhall, in recent times, seems to have lurched from one crisis to another ... The Hawks side is no more nomad than Dudley were last season, riding their home fixtures at two different tracks.

Edited by Shadders

MMMMM interesting then will IOW be IOW & Southampton and Belle Vue with Rochdale and Stoke & Tamworth, maybe Scunthorpe & Sheffield, Eastbourne & Hastings, makes no sense at all really, just old names which really wont make any old fans come. can understand if the Olympic stadiums are in line for the future. next we will have me old mate Bryn doing Lanning one week and Sear the next...

Lets face it us speedway folk will go what ever they call it, but will it pull in new fans?

Edited by KenB1

Basically, this is cutting fixture congestion at Rye House, whilst Lakeside get to help develop assets Hazelden and Owen on their own home track, whilst also getting first dibs on other young prospects such as Morley, the Hackney name comes in because it is no more a Rye House side. At least there is no more ridiculous Cobras nickname. The promotions should not be looking to older fans to form crowds but the younger generation who will be fans for a long time to come.

In all honesty it's a shame the Cobras have been pulled, the National League meetings are generally always very exciting at Rye. Good Luck to the Hawks though :)

Basically, this is cutting fixture congestion at Rye House, whilst Lakeside get to help develop assets Hazelden and Owen on their own home track, whilst also getting first dibs on other young prospects such as Morley, the Hackney name comes in because it is no more a Rye House side. At least there is no more ridiculous Cobras nickname. The promotions should not be looking to older fans to form crowds but the younger generation who will be fans for a long time to come.

In all honesty it's a shame the Cobras have been pulled, the National League meetings are generally always very exciting at Rye. Good Luck to the Hawks though :)

on the BSPA website both the Cobras and Hawks are listed as running next year

Lets face it us speedway folk will go what ever they call it, but will it pull in new fans?

I wish this venture so much luck, but I fear what new fans it MAY attract will be cancelled out by those Rye House fans who won't attend due to lack of identity.

Boston at King's Lynn for me was an absolute dream, but that was not the case for to many others.

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong however.

Well what can I say.

After attending my first meeting at the Wick in '66 and then drfting away from the sport in the mid 70's I returned to speedway in the late 90's but had no team to support. Looks like this is going to change this year. Fantastic news.

All the Hawks have to do now is top the bids from Tottenham and West Ham so that they can return to their spiritual home.

Up the 'awks!

I doubt It'll make me attend any more NL fixtures than I did in 2010 ... I'd have to buy Hawks clothing, programme board etc... Will they be on sale at the Rye House merchandise stall?

MMMMM interesting then will IOW be IOW & Southampton and Belle Vue with Rochdale and Stoke & Tamworth, maybe Scunthorpe & Sheffield, Eastbourne & Hastings, makes no sense at all really, just old names which really wont make any old fans come.

Is the right answer! Any old fans would have found a new track to go to, or have drifted away by now - its 20 years since Hackney shut down (not including the 'fish tank' year).

Good to see an old name back in the sport!

Be even better if the entry of Hackney into the 2011 NL is a prelude to a speedway track track being put in somewhere on the olympic site of which the old Waterden Road site is part of!

LAKESIDE HAMMERS PRESS RELEASE

Wednesday 26th January 2011

HACKNEY HAWKS BACK ON TRACK

The Hackney Hawks Speedway team will return to the track in 2011 in the National League after being accepted into the Sport’s third tier at this week’s AGM.

The team will be a joint project funded by and racing at both Rye House and Lakeside Speedways and will allow both teams the opportunity to develop young British talent in tandem.

The team title of Hackney has been chosen as both tracks enjoy considerable support from ex Hawks fans and it brings into focus the lack of a London team in British Speedway at the present time, a situation which both clubs would like to see changed.

Lakeside Co Promoter Jon Cook commented on this news stating: "This is a new exciting venture for us and will give our fans a chance to see the development of our young riders at our Arena-Essex Raceway. We expect to stage at least a meeting a month during the season and we feel the need to develop young British talent is a duty all clubs should undertake in future seasons.

"We hope this joint partnership with Rye House will point the way ahead. I am sure London fans will be drawn to see the iconic Hawks race jacket in action and help us to continue pressure for Speedway to play some part in the Olympic legacy, which of course is on the site of the old Waterden Road Stadium, the former home of Hackney Speedway."

Rye House owner Len Silver commented: "I am very excited to be linking with our friends at Lakeside, and I am sure this move will be a great success and a big factor in producing future stars for both of our teams.

"Because of my own long connection with Hackney it’s nostalgic for me to be going back in that direction and I am sure the fans are in for a real treat once this exciting band of Hawks takes to the track in April".

I doubt It'll make me attend any more NL fixtures than I did in 2010 ... I'd have to buy Hawks clothing, programme board etc... Will they be on sale at the Rye House merchandise stall?

Are you really going to stand on the Rye terraces shouting "Come on you Hawks"!!! :blink:

You remember the "Ronnie" days Shads back in the late 80's when Hackney were our biggest rivals like Kings Lynn have been during the last 5 years. I couldnt stand them (particularly Andy Galvin :wink: ). Theres no way Im going to start supporting them now..........and as for buying Hawks clothing, programme board etc - Im ashamed of you! :D

Sorry but can only ever support Rye House. May watch the odd one out of interest but wont be attending many. Shame. :(