British Speedway Forum

The commentators function is to be informative and to be understood by their audience.They fail on both fronts when they start shouting. John Arlott had a much thicker accent than Lanning but was still one of the great commentators because he spoke at reasonable volume and in a manner that everyone could understand without the need to keep screaming. Plus he knew what he was talking about.

Yes quite. It seems to be fashionable amongst modern commentators to shout and generally get over excitable, but with television in particular, it's unnecessary as viewers can see for themselves what's happening. And yes, being informed does help as well.. ;)

As for the flowery descriptions of earlier commentators, that also seems to be something of their time. A bit like Blowers and his 'plump succulent pigeons on the outfield'.. :rofl:

The commentators function is to be informative and to be understood by their audience.They fail on both fronts when they start shouting. John Arlott had a much thicker accent than Lanning but was still one of the great commentators because he spoke at reasonable volume and in a manner that everyone could understand without the need to keep screaming. Plus he knew what he was talking about.

Lanning wasn't generally known for his shouting though. Of course he got a bit excited at times but it would be pretty boring if he calmly talked you through a thrilling race like a snooker commentator.

Compared to Pearson, Lanning was very restrained.

He has dual nationality. He grew up in oz so obviously a big part of him is Australian but he has always ridden for GB. Just be grateful he's on our side because he's the best talent we have by a long way. You can dislike him all you want but you can't question his British pride.

Well said.

thought monmore was voted the best prepared racetrack ,

Which was what i said. :neutral:

I think it was voted best prepared race track in Wolverhampton.

Thats precisely where Monmore is. Home of the league(s) best race track.

Could you imagine John Arlott calling Speedway? He'd take four laps to go through the Field! :rofl:

Just as an aside; I remember Harry Carpenter being involved with our sport as a reporter; does anyone recall him calling Speedway? Dave Lanning will always be "The Voice of Speedway' for me, warts and all.

What a great meeting - some brilliant racing - Lanham's on-the-line victory after fighting for four laps springs to mind, and no doubt these guys were fighting for sheep-stations, nothing left in the pits.

Personally I can't see much wrong with Lewis Bridger's all-out style, seems to work OK for Chris Holder.

So pleased for Scotty; he's a fighter and will do you Brits proud at Cardiff. :approve:

Do you really think so ..........

I do, as I wouldn't have wrote that if I didn't think so!! A personal opinion and one which friends of mine have shared also!

Personally I would pay to watch Stead and Nicholls (in no particular order) for swindon, yes

The day that happens I cancel my Sky contract. Who at Sky would make such a decision? without question certain Sky commentators are biased towards their 'favourite' riders so why should Sky have a say who participates. Their job is to cover the sport in a non biased way, not participate in the governance of the sport.

The decision could be made by the producers at Sky Sports who show the coverage each and every week throughout the season, thats who. They want ratings pure and simple. By having the best line up available, and advertised, will get extra viewers in my opinion compared to no build up and hype which is usually the case. Imapartial? Crikey Sky were on the bandwagon when Tai burst on the scene, Each and every week it was Tai this and Tai that, and all the pressure put on the young lad. Thats what Sky do best, hype everything up to raise the profile more so that people tune in to watch. They promo their product each week etc etc.

Sky, like with the PL Darts as I mentioned want the best talent available. Just because the top 6 players in ranking automatically qualify for the PL, doesn't mean Sky with the wild card picks have to have 7th and 8th ranked players. They used Wayne Mardle for more viewers to watch rather than actual players just outside the top 6.

All I'm saying is that I'd much rather see Simon Stead as a rider in the British Final as a wild card instead of the poor choice picks the BSPA put in, regardless of whether Auty was in or not due to injury. Thats just my view on it, and Sky may want to look at the same for this format next season. They pay the money for the coverage, so they should be also entitled to a say on the matter also.

I have no problem with this at all. You could say the same thing about Mike Joy, Larry McReynolds and Darryl Waltrip each week on Fox Sports coverage of Nascar and it hasn't harmed the output one bit. Fans love it and it gives the feel for the moment a little enhancement.

I think it's one of those things where you either love it or loathe it.

So who do you get to replace Pearson and Tatum due to the excitment of a move or a race in your opinion? Louis, Johnno (good analysist on comm)

You still need a lead anchor during the races??

You still need a lead anchor during the races??

So that's why some riders seem to go so slowly - dragging a lead anchor round can't do much for their chances of winning.

Could you imagine John Arlott calling Speedway? He'd take four laps to go through the Field! :rofl:

Just as an aside; I remember Harry Carpenter being involved with our sport as a reporter; does anyone recall him calling Speedway? Dave Lanning will always be "The Voice of Speedway' for me, warts and all.

What a great meeting - some brilliant racing - Lanham's on-the-line victory after fighting for four laps springs to mind, and no doubt these guys were fighting for sheep-stations, nothing left in the pits.

Personally I can't see much wrong with Lewis Bridger's all-out style, seems to work OK for Chris Holder.

So pleased for Scotty; he's a fighter and will do you Brits proud at Cardiff. :approve:

1. John Arlott would have been great for speedway. I still remember his classic comment of ".......and Boycott stands with his legs apart waiting for a tickle". You can imagine that converting to "And there's Bridger with one leg in the air.....(compose your own ending)" icon_smile_approve.gif

2. We'll have to agree to disagree about Lanning. As far as I am concerned his only accurate statement was "The Poles are making up the rules as they go along!" (some things never change. )

3.I do agree with you about Bridger. I think his talent as a motor-cyclist and sense of balance are exceptional IMO. The problem with Bridger as far as I can see is that he doesn't really have a racing brain and too frequently seems to finish up on the wrong part of the track at the wrong time. Great when he makes the gate or only has one other rider to deal with but i can't ever remember seeing him perform really well in a race with two or three other really tough riders. He doesn't seem to me to be able to really work the race out. He's still young though and certainly has the raw talent to succeed if only he can get his brain sorted.

Oh that simply wasnt cricket was it not?...cup of tea vicar?......give me a break its a mans sport not a spot of afternoon tea and tiffing...surely you of all people must have witnessed Mr Nielsen in his prime?!....oh course Nicholls had a Swindon racesuit on......

Get over yourself ! It was an individual event which has no bearing on a team event. I recall 2/3 years ago in the GP Lukas Dryml not giving Nicholls a lot of room and Scott went into a round of fisty cuffs, but clattering into another rider is OK ?

Its just an opinion from someone who has seen the injuries caused to riders close to me, maybe I am touchy but I just don't feel that clattering into another rider is the correct way to pass, perhaps I am at odds with your view but don't use club loyalties to defend your views, it suggests a weak view !

If it was Nicki Pedersen in a GP there would be uproar.............No ?

Get over yourself ! It was an individual event which has no bearing on a team event. I recall 2/3 years ago in the GP Lukas Dryml not giving Nicholls a lot of room and Scott went into a round of fisty cuffs, but clattering into another rider is OK ?

Its just an opinion from someone who has seen the injuries caused to riders close to me, maybe I am touchy but I just don't feel that clattering into another rider is the correct way to pass, perhaps I am at odds with your view but don't use club loyalties to defend your views, it suggests a weak view !

If it was Nicki Pedersen in a GP there would be uproar.............No ?

As a former rider I can tell you that the contact between them on Monday was not dangerous, or intentional. If it was on the bend anywhere (as with Dryml) or up against the fence then there is a real risk one of them would fall off. They didn't, it was hard but fair - I get the feeling you don't like Scott so will never be convinced anyway..

I think Custer Mouse has summed Bridger up perfectly.....he's comfortably the most talented motorcyclist we have in British Speedway but most of the time hasn't got the first idea how to ride four smooth or tactical laps and as such doesn't score anywhere near as many points as he should. His career really ought to have followed a similar path to Darcy's as I believe he's just as talented on the bike but the difference is that Ward knows how to race speedway. As for comparing the Dryml Lonigo incident to Monday night, chalk and cheese for me. Dryml's move whether intentional or not was very naughty, whereas Scott's was robust at worst and absolutely necessary on a track which by then only had one line round the inside.

As a former rider I can tell you that the contact between them on Monday was not dangerous, or intentional. If it was on the bend anywhere (as with Dryml) or up against the fence then there is a real risk one of them would fall off. They didn't, it was hard but fair - I get the feeling you don't like Scott so will never be convinced anyway..

No issue at all with Nicholls but I will take your view that banging into an opponent is a fair pass

Just sharing my view, certainly not asking everyone to agree with it

If Harris had come off then Nicholls would been excluded, the fact remains no matter what the move a ref will never take any action unless a rider falls off ,monday was a classic example .

So that's why some riders seem to go so slowly - dragging a lead anchor round can't do much for their chances of winning.

For a moment I choked on a crouton whilst eating some of the mrs soup she made for tea when I read this!!