British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gearhead

Wild Cards,time To Stop?

I've no problem with Darcy Ward getting a "wild card" gig, but other riders have also enjoyed fine starts to the season, such as Grigory Laguta, Matej Zagar and Adrian Miedzinski. To my mind you either have one policy or the other. You either go local, or you go with the one of the best available.

Zagar has had his chance.Miedzinski i can't see him ever being anything more than a "making up the number" rider in the Protasiewicz mould.I wish Grigory had qualified rather than his little brother,but he didn't.Ward has the makings of a top rider.But having said that i wouldn't have anything against Grigory getting a chance this season.But he has had a few already.Ward hasn't

Zagar has had his chance.Miedzinski i can't see him ever being anything more than a "making up the number" rider in the Protasiewicz mould.I wish Grigory had qualified rather than his little brother,but he didn't.Ward has the makings of a top rider.But having said that i wouldn't have anything against Grigory getting a chance this season.But he has had a few already.Ward hasn't

Nicholls has also had his chances.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessments of Zagar and Miedzinski, but what about the merits of Kennett? I'd quite like to see someone like Bogdanovs having a go in Prague and Ward giving it gas in Cardiff.

Edited by ladyluck

Can't see both Laguta brothers riding in the same GP , as apperently they have only one decent bike between them . As their respective scores in domestic league meetings bears out .

Can't see both Laguta brothers riding in the same GP , as apperently they have only one decent bike between them . As their respective scores in domestic league meetings bears out .

What's the score with Artem not having any sponsorship anywhere on his bike or kevlars in the GP?

Is he some sort of rich kid?

Nicholls has also had his chances.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessments of Zagar and Miedzinski, but what about the merits of Kennett? I'd quite like to see someone like Bogdanovs having a go in Prague and Ward giving it gas in Cardiff.

I have said it before.In my opinion there isn't a British rider outside of Harris that deserves being in a GP.That said,we would be kidding ourselves to think the British GP would only have 1 Brit and a foreign wildcard.Ain't likely to happen unless the next best Brit was Deek Sneddon :blink:

What's the score with Artem not having any sponsorship anywhere on his bike or kevlars in the GP?

Is he some sort of rich kid?

I think he'd have a bit better gear if he were a "rich kid". I don't think Laguta is in the Jonsson-Pavlic league when it comes to familial dosh.

... unless the next best Brit was Deek Sneddon :blink:

Desperate Deek. Now there's someone to sort out the Russian nutter for June01.

Desperate Deek. Now there's someone to sort out the Russian nutter for June01.

Bring him on. Let's have Nermark, Piszcz, Buczkowski and Ben Barker while you're at it.

I don't mind the Wild Cards if they are top class riders who aren't in the GPs, but the likes of Balinski...just don't seem worth it.

Sacrilege. :nono::wink:

Edited by June01

Bring him on. Let's have Nermark, Piszcz, Buczkowski and Ben Barker while you're at it.

I suppose they could fence him as he laps them.

I don't mind the Wild Cards if they are top class riders who aren't in the GPs, but the likes of Balinski and Jonasson just don't seem worth it.

Would that be the same Jonasson who was the highest scoring wild card last season with the exception of Kolodziej, and the same Jonasson who has qualified 2nd in line for the SGP this year should there be injuries? :rolleyes:

Looking at scores so far this season, Grigorij Laguta is the stand out rider who surely deserves a wildcard. I guess he is probably unlikely to receive one due to his Nationality, though.

I've no problem with Darcy Ward getting a "wild card" gig, but other riders have also enjoyed fine starts to the season, such as Grigory Laguta, Matej Zagar and Adrian Miedzinski. To my mind you either have one policy or the other. You either go local, or you go with the one of the best available.

Yes you could go with the best availiable regardless of which country etc,"horses for courses" as they say :)

Ward could drop into quite a few of the GP's and do well most would probably agree,where another week a local rider might be the best option like Pavlic

LET's face it ... the concept of wild cards was conceived with commercial interests at heart. Torun will be a sell-out, there are (injury permitting) four Poles already competing, there is no need for another Polish rider to sell more tickets.

Isn't that something for the host organisor to decide? Presumably, BSI get their wedge from the host organisors regardless of ticket sales, so any desires of the host organisors should be respected? BSI Speedway organise three GPs, I believe, so let them take the risk on a non-local "wild card" at Gothenburg (whoops, too late), Copenhagen and Cardiff.