British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrystalCastles

Hornets V Islanders

Would imagine the teams will line up the same.

Good luck to both teams.

I have posted this twice because there's currently two threads (mods: could you merge the two?). Is anyone going to Newport on saturday for the KO cup 2nd leg that will be able to text updates to the updates site. If you can please PM me here or on the updates site (I know it's a bit early but I'm looking forward to this one :party: )

Thanks

Edit: long live the Hornets :cheers:

Edited by Islander15

What was said?

There's a statement on the BSPA website about poor gates for Hornets meetings.

I can't help but think that if the PL team closed down rather than the Hornets they would lose less money - many of the PL fans would watch the NL meetings and the overheads for an NL match are substantially less than a PL one.

There's a statement on the BSPA website about poor gates for Hornets meetings.

I can't help but think that if the PL team closed down rather than the Hornets they would lose less money - many of the PL fans would watch the NL meetings and the overheads for an NL match are substantially less than a PL one.

Shouldn't be necessary though should it!!!

One of the most successful teams tried NL last year - Poole - and didn't continue this year as it wasn't cost effective, well guys it's up to you the fans, if you want NL racing to survive, you have to go out and support it. Not an easy thing to do in the current climate I know, but these promoters are trying to kick start the British scene but financially it isn't balancing the books :(

I'm sorry I haven't a clue as to the fan base at Newport, but as I said Poole, with their large fan base couldn't make it pay, mind it will be a real shame for this to happen if it does, through lack of support.

Good luck Hornets

Shouldn't be necessary though should it!!!

One of the most successful teams tried NL last year - Poole - and didn't continue this year as it wasn't cost effective, well guys it's up to you the fans, if you want NL racing to survive, you have to go out and support it. Not an easy thing to do in the current climate I know, but these promoters are trying to kick start the British scene but financially it isn't balancing the books :(

I'm sorry I haven't a clue as to the fan base at Newport, but as I said Poole, with their large fan base couldn't make it pay, mind it will be a real shame for this to happen if it does, through lack of support.

Good luck Hornets

I love watching the Hornets, and for a long time last year, they were more entertaining than the Wasps. Sadly though, Newport sports fans will traditionally support only winning teams, and that goes for the Wasps, as well. I didn't think it was a particularly sound decision to run the Hornets, in 2009, so soon in the Malletts' promoting regime, and given that the current recession was just starting to bite, big-time. I'll be there for as long as they continue, but most won't, or can't afford that luxury, especially if the team is un-competitive.

I dont think that the Newport Promotion have really thought this saturday through

They are asking fans to turn out in their Droves, on a Saturday that hosts the football cup final @ 3 o'clock the speedway GP @ 6 o'clock, and they start the hornets match at 4 o'clock

I wont be there as I have to work till 5 , But where is the promotion for this or any other Speedway Event in Newport

Do you see any posters advertising Newport Speedway, I walked the length of Newport Town Centre yesterday, and did not see one advertisment for Newport Speedway

How can the promotion expect people to attend, when they dont even know its on

O K the die Hards like Me Know its on ,but that is not the way forward, any event needs promoting .We always Know when the cicus is in town, Or the Monster Truck is Around but Speedway is like Newports best kept secret

I post this out of Frustration not malice, I have suppoted Newport Speedway since 1964 and will continue to do so but the promotion need to do just that PROMOTE

I dont think that the Newport Promotion have really thought this saturday through

They are asking fans to turn out in their Droves, on a Saturday that hosts the football cup final @ 3 o'clock the speedway GP @ 6 o'clock, and they start the hornets match at 4 o'clock

I wont be there as I have to work till 5 , But where is the promotion for this or any other Speedway Event in Newport

Do you see any posters advertising Newport Speedway, I walked the length of Newport Town Centre yesterday, and did not see one advertisment for Newport Speedway

How can the promotion expect people to attend, when they dont even know its on

O K the die Hards like Me Know its on ,but that is not the way forward, any event needs promoting .We always Know when the cicus is in town, Or the Monster Truck is Around but Speedway is like Newports best kept secret

I post this out of Frustration not malice, I have suppoted Newport Speedway since 1964 and will continue to do so but the promotion need to do just that PROMOTE

Totally agree Bill, with all the other sporting attractions on tomorrow it will not a good meeting to judge support and as for promotion it does appear to be almost non-existent.

Still looking for a texter. Is anyone going that can text score updates? Please PM me here or on updates.

Btw Hornets to win 47-43 on the night

Why dont Newport run double headers as a way of reducing cost?

How could they run double headers on a Saturday night though?

Have to say awesome advert for NL Racing.

Great meeting, lots of passing & close competitive racing.I might even go as far as saying best meeting entertainment wise ive seen all year at Newport.

First time seeing the Hornets this year. Crowd was awful :(.

The future its a tough decision to make but it has to be made, im hopeful that we continue though. If we dont though i will feel gutted for the likes of Matt Bates, JWW, David Gough, Tom Young, Richard Andrews & Jay.

All of whom gave 100% effort and are all nice lads who wanted to be in the team this year and for them to lose the opportunity to ride regularly would be awful.

My thoughts track was pretty good, but there was dust although mostly held up well.

For the Hornets

Herne-Skipper and experienced rider, out an out racer at this level, everyrace from him was 100%, team rode when neccesary

Young-Superb first two races tailed off, but great performance

JWW-Opposite of Young, performance got better as meeting went on, good performance

Bates-Awesome well done Matty,

Kurtz-Only score 8 would have been 11 but easily one of the leagues top performers, looked well above this level now compared to last year in the races he lead

Gough-competitive but struggled, could of got a paid win in heat 14, in which his performance was far better than his other races.

Andrews-Awesome on the pace & very competitive

For the Islanders

Starke-decent performance, rode better as the meeting went on, best races in his harder races

Smith-very competitive after a poor first ride

Smethills-Awesome first two races & tailed off, best ive seen him ride for a while though in his first two, looked the Smethills of old.Did really well to lower Kurtz's colours

Johnson-Seen him ride QM better but was always on the pace & still scored 6 & he picked up vital points

Simmons-Not at his best seems to have had a slower start than usual this year, but was well in the mix in every race, but is capable of scoring more around a track he knows well.

Chessell-Awesome win in the reserve race, not a lot after that.

Resch-Same as gough for the hornets struggled, but kept at it to score 2, think he will ride other tracks better than QM

Overall, the Islanders had a bit of luck, but got through on merit with determined performances from there top 5. Good Luck to them.

Many thanks to Islander15, i enjoyed doing the updates & had a few pointers, so if i ever do it again, i will be better prepared.