British Speedway Forum
BrizHeathen

Unused Venues

I know there are many tracks that have made way for housing or other developments, but what about the famous venues that still stand but are not used for speedway anymore.

The shay - Halifax

Odsal - Bradford

Brisbane Exhibition Ground

There's three for a start, is White City still standing?

Edited by BrizHeathen

The shay - Halifax, :cry: Odsal - Bradford,:oops: Brisbane Exhibition Ground, :sad: You know how to make a grown Trackman cry! I was talking to Peter who looks after Archerfield Speedway Track, With Hilly, Mazey, & Baz. Peter told them the Ekka is best solo track in Australia! (Peter looked after the Ekka in the Wanless days). This Saturday night at the Brisbane Exhibition ground, they are having a stadium motocross meeting with 100 riders and the Butler's will be turning up with their American monster trucks, also during the year they have veteren speed car meetings. All the Ekka asked for is a deposit from the promoter (well all the costs incurred by the Ekka, paid up front). On another thread should we have a "Lions Tour" of downunder? If a promoter was to put on a 3 match series or 3 out of 5 matches, you would have 3 sell out crowds at the Ekka. I am sure the veteren speed car boys would be interested. As well as the side cars. Oops, Trackman ranting on again.

Regards. B)

PS.

VIP PET FOODS would be a good start for sponsorship & if Ivan Mauger & Nigel Boocock put their name to it as well! The show would be a Best Seller!

The Queensland Government , through Queensland Events Corporation has invested 1.1 milllllion in up grades to Willowbanks drag strip. NSW Goverment just spent 26 million on Sydneys new drag racing complex.

Regards.

PS.

We have the cash BrizHeathen BUT! ......We can't run a state title meeting! TinHats on! :approve:

Edited by Trackman

is White City still standing?

No. BBC offices now occupy the site.

Not famous in any way, but, The Birmingham Wheels is still there.

Edited by Deano

Regarding the Shay and Odsal, both venues have been turned into "sguared off" football / rugby grounds.

No chance of speedway going back to either, I'm afraid.

Hull's previous two venues are still standing, the Boulevard now plays host to greyhound racing following Hull FC's move to the KC Stadium, while Hedon is still undeveloped, staging kart racing etc. The noise factor and encroaching housing development would scupper any return to Hedon if needed, while back in 1995, Vikings first approached the Boulevard, but strong protests from local residents forced them to turn to Craven Park.

Walthamstow is still there. Now a greyhound track.

Nice to have that back - another London track. But can't see it really. :sad:

As is the original Perry Barr Greyhound track, and Hall green stadium, one time home of speedway. Three ex-track all unused in one city, what a waste :angry: .

Paisley still there. last time i was there it had been squared off at one end but think both ends done now .Hampden and Stamford Bridge still there also in much modified form

As is the original Perry Barr Greyhound track, and Hall green stadium, one time home of speedway. Three ex-track all unused in one city, what a waste :angry:

Birmingham Wheels is famous if you're a stock car or banger racing fan!

There is talk of the Perry Barr track (the one opposite One Stop Shopping) reopening for speedway, but it's only talk at the moment.

As is the original Perry Barr Greyhound track, and Hall green stadium, one time home of speedway. Three ex-track all unused in one city, what a waste :angry:

Birmingham Wheels is famous if you're a stock car or banger racing fan!

There is talk of the Perry Barr track (the one opposite One Stop Shopping) reopening for speedway, but it's only talk at the moment.

Speedway will never go to Hall Green, too many houses now surround the stadium. When speedway was there I can only guess as being many decades ago the council estate probably wasn't. There is also a hotel on the premises which might bring some more complaints.

Sorry about the comment on the wheels Donut, I was thinking more when the speedway was there. I have to say it was a damn good race track with great banked bends, but the rest of the set-up looked very cheap.

Long Eaton is still there - and with any luck will be back in 2005.

A rebuilt stadium on the same site.

The setup at Wheels is still very cheap - the only real difference is the track is now tarmac!

Coatbridge ; home of Albion Rovers FC.

Central Park, Cowdenbeath ; which had a short life as a speedway venue in the 60s. Home of Cowdenbeath FC and stock car racing.

Celtic Park ; which also had a brief flirtation with speedway some time earlier.

Shawfield ; still a greyhound racing venue but which has never staged proper speedway, ever :D

Shawfield ; still a greyhound racing venue but which has never staged proper speedway, ever  :D

Strange we were told it did every week in 1996!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear there is a stadium in Leeds might not be doing much in the near future...

perhaps speedway could give it a little life ...