British Speedway Forum
TMW

Iow V Colts

Will there be any updates for this meeting???

Edited by TMW

Will there be any updates for this meeting???

I think the usual texter is away this week :unsure:

Meeting preview >>> HERE

I think the usual texter is away this week :unsure:

Would offer to do it but with my mangled mitts not really on! :sad: You gonna offer Stressed? Looking forward to the match - any other forum members coming along to it? :unsure:

Good luck to the Islanders

Would offer to do it but with my mangled mitts not really on! :sad: You gonna offer Stressed? Looking forward to the match - any other forum members coming along to it? :unsure:

Unfortunately not Bryn, too much to do on race night as it is, although I will post a full meeting report and heat details if a texter can't be found but it won't be until the early hours (ish) :wink:

if i saw this before i left, i would of updated for yous. but i'll left indivudual scores on the updates site now

SIMMONS SHINES FOR ISLANDERS

By Isle of Wight Speedway ~ Wednesday 25th May 2011

Wightlink Islanders skipper Nick Simmons sped away to a five ride maximum last night against title favourites Belle Vue Colts at Smallbrook . Maximum man Simmons said; "I enjoyed it tonight, I made some good starts but when I didn't, I also managed to make some good passes and good first turns."

Following the tragic news from Poland at the weekend that Slovenian former Grand Prix star Matej Ferjan was found dead in his van, an impeccable minutes silence was held to pay respect to the rider who lived in Gorzow, Poland and had been racing for Newcastle in the Premier league.

Racing got under way with Paul Starke and Rob Smith taking a heat advantage over Colts Byron Bekker who fought his way from 4th to 2nd place after two false starts for movement at the tapes by the Colts riders.

Young hotshot Jason Garrity make the first of seven appearances taking the win just ahead of John Resch and Luke Chessell sharing the heat. Heat 3 was also shared with Scott Richardson taking a rider replacement ride covering the the injured Kyle Howarth, Lee Smethills and Brendan Johnson took the minor places.

Islanders skipper Nick Simmons flew from the tapes recording the fastest time of the night 69.7 seconds with team mate Resch packing in for second place from the start to put the Islanders into an early 6 point lead with Adam McKinna back in 3rd place.

Smethills raced to the flag in heat 5 chased all the way by Bekker with Richardson 3rd for another shared heat. The Islanders crept ahead with a heat advantage in the next, McKinna splitting Smith and Starke on the line.

Luke Chessell took a heavy fall into the 3rd turn fence on the 2nd lap of heat 7. Meeting referee Mick Posselwhite had no option to disqualify him from the re-run which was again won by Simmons leaving Bekker and Mason trailing after a short delay while the medics attended to Chessell who was withdrawn from the meeting suffering from back pain.

Smith pulled out a cracking ride in heat 8 to head Garrity to the flag who battled hard through to 2nd with Resch 3rd putting the Islanders 10 points up, 29-19 at the halfway stage.

The Colts team managers wasted no time electing for McKinna to take a tactical ride for double points in heat 9. McKinna was out-gated and outfoxed around the first turns with Johnson and Smethills grabbing a welcome maximum heat advantage, Garrity was 3rd after swapping places with Smethills a couple of times while McKinna languished at the back with the Islanders ahead by 14 points.

Not to be outdone Smith and Starke banged in another maximum heat advantage in the following heat over Mason and Widman stretching the lead to 18 points, 39-21. Again tactical ride for Bekker was the order from the Colts managers who grabbed 2nd place behind race winner Simmons and 3rd place team mate Richardson to narrow the Islanders lead by 2 points.

Heat 12 saw Mason elected to take a rider replacement ride with Garrity coming in as a reserve change who held of Smethills to close down the Islanders to 12 points difference. Two shared heats followed, Simmons again taking the flag in heat 13 ahead of Bekker and McKinna after powering between the two Colts on the back straight. Garrity squeezed past on the back straight to head Resch and Johnson in the penultimate heat leaving a 12 point difference between the two sides, 49-37 going into the last heat.

Simmons completed a superb five ride maximum the hard way after Garrity took the lead. Simmons passed Bekker along the back straight on the first lap to move into 3rd and rounded team-mate Smith exiting turn 4 setting off after Garrity. Simmons and Garrity were neck and neck out of turn 4 on the 2nd lap but Simmons had to wait until the next lap to pass Garrity on the home straight to give him his 5th win of the night and a final scoreline of 53-30 to the Islanders in their opening National league fixture of the year.

"It was an awesome result, it will make a few teams take note that the Islanders are a team to be reckoned with. Rob Smith was superb tonight, it was a good all round solid team performance and I just feel sorry for Luke Chessell who is in agony. As for Nick Simmons, well that's the Nick we know." said Chris Hunt Islanders co-promoter who added "We've got a winning team, we need the supporters to come out and support us, now we've beaten Belle Vue I can't see anyone else beating us, we just need to go and pick up some away points."

Kevin Shepherd Islanders co-promoter said; "They have produced some very good racing tonight, fair play to Belle Vue considering they are missing Kyle Howarth they have put up very tough opposition and it's good to see the boys get off to a good start.

Simmons added; "Belle Vue do have a good team but our place is different for them, I thought beforehand that we should be alright. It was a good solid performance, you need stuff like that and you definitely need good home wins, it gets everyone's confidence up and hopefully we can go and get a result at Mildenhall on Sunday."

Again there will be a break in racing at Smallbrook with challenge fixtures not viable to run at present. Quad racing fills the vacant Tuesday 7th June date. Next for the Wightlink Islanders is an away fixture at Mildenhall in the Suffolk countryside this Sunday 4.30pm start.

There is also a fixture change for the Islanders with their trip to Lakeside being brought forward from Friday 8th July to Friday 17th June against Hackney Hawks which means the two sides meet home and away the same week with the Islanders next home fixture now being Tuesday 14th June.

National League

ISLE OF WIGHT ISLANDERS - [53]

1. Paul Starke 3, 1, 2', 0, = 6+1

2. Rob Smith 1, 3, 3, 3, 1, = 11

3. Lee Smethills 2, 3, 2', 1, = 8+1

4. Brendan Johnson 1', 0, 3, 1', = 5+2

5. Nick Simmons © 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, = 15

6. Luke Chessell 1', FX, = 1+1 withdrawn

7. John Resch 2, 2', 1, 0, 0, 2, = 7+1

Team managers: Chris Hunt & Kevin Shepherd

BELLE VUE COLTS - [39]

1. Byron Bekker © 2, 2, 2, 4^, 2, 0, = 12

2. Scott Richardson R, 3, 1', 0, 1', = 5+2

3. Rider Replacement for Kyle Howarth

4. Karl Mason R, 1', 1, 3, R, = 5+1

5. Adam McKinna 1, 2, 0^, 1', = 4+1

6. Chris Widman 0, 0, 0, = 0

7. Jason Garrity 3, 0, 2, 1, 2', 3, 2, = 13+1

Team managers: Stephen Williams & Graham Goodwin

REFEREE: Mick Posselwhite

GATE POSITIONS:

Colts won the coin toss and took gates 1 & 3 in heat 1

Islanders took gates 2 & 4 in heat 15

HEAT DETAILS:

Heat 1: (re-runx2): Starke, Bekker, Smith, Richardson (Ret), 71.0, 4-2 (4-2)

Heat 2: Garrity, Resch, Chessell, Widman, 71.8, 3-3 (7-5)

Heat 3: Richardson (RR), Smethills, Johnson, Mason (FR/Ret), 71.6, 3-3 (10-8)

Heat 4: Simmons, Resch, McKinna, Garrity, 69.7, 5-1 (15-9)

Heat 5: Smethills, Bekker, Richardson, Johnson, 71.8, 3-3 (18-12)

Heat 6: Smith, McKinna, Starke, Widman, 71.3, 4-2 (22-14)

Heat 7: (re-run): Simmons, Bekker (RR), Mason, Chessell (FX), 70.4, 3-3 (25-17)

Heat 8: Smith, Garrity, Resch, Richardson, 71.1, 4-2 (29-19)

Heat 9: Johnson, Smethills, Garrity (RC), McKinna (TR), 70.4, 5-1 (34-20)

Heat 10: Smith, Starke, Mason, Widman (RR), 71.7, 5-1 (39-21)

Heat 11: Simmons, Bekker (TR), Richardson, Resch (RC), 69.8, 3-5 (42-26)

Heat 12: Mason (RR), Garrity (RC), Smethills, Resch, 71.7, 1-5 (43-31)

Heat 13: Simmons, Bekker, McKinna, Starke, 70.9, 3-3 (46-34)

Heat 14: Garrity, Resch (RC), Johnson, Mason (Ret), 70.3, 3-3 (49-37)

Heat 15: Simmons, Garrity, Smith, Bekker, 70.2, 4-2 (53-39)

Edited by stressed

Thanks for the report & details, but the score was 53-39 :wink:

a decent match on the island last night and well done to the ref for pushing through the last four heats so we could get the earlier ferry! :t:

Thanks for the report & details, but the score was 53-39 :wink:

That'll teach me for typing stuff at silly o'clock, thanks for spotting it :blink:

adam karl and scot must have been sea sick looking at there performances. iow very lucky to face the colts when they were not all firing

adam karl and scot must have been sea sick looking at there performances. iow very lucky to face the colts when they were not all firing

Luck didn't play any part in the Islanders victory at all 'builderbob' - they were simply the better team on the night despite the Colts trying their best. Must say that Jason Garrity is an excellent prospect and us regular commuters to the island from the mainland thoroughly enjoyed our lengthy chat with him on the ferry back to Pompey. He's very 'down to earth,' knows he still has a lot to learn but looks to have the talent to 'make it big' as it were in this tough sport of ours.

Hope Luke Chessell isn't feeling too 'second hand' today after his alarming heat 7 spill.

Edited by Bryn

That was my first visit to Smallbrook and it made an enjoyable day out.

I had thought Nick Simmons was going to be a bit lucky getting a maximum having being third in the race when Chessell crashed before winning the re-run. But he certainly earned it the hard way in heat 15, so well done to him.

Jason Garrity was again very entertaining and he looks a real prospect. Seems to be quite a character too.

Also good to see John Resch continuing to progress.