British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PhilK

Mildenhall V Hackney - Nl Ko Cup

It's R/R for Brundle today, as you said earlier 2ndbendpostie probably a decent option considering the alternatives with both Birks and Howarth injured.

Joe is allowed seven rides from reserve, so he could take one R/R and two reserve replacement rides.

Thanks for that,just about to leave,hopefully a good meeting, finishing with a good tigers win.

Good to note Jacobs back on great form again!

JJ quite superb, gating much sharper and coming through the pack.

Solid team performance today, Aaron Baseby superb beat Barry twice and looked quick Lewis gets better each week + Dan & Jack both desreved more points than they got.

Track was excellent with plenty of grip which seemed to catch RH out, despite the scoreline meeting was good with plenty of passing with Ben Morley the pick of the bunch for Rye who were also unlucky to lose Shane Hazelden in Heat 2. Was looking forward to seeing how he handled West Row after his good start to the season - hope his injury nothing serious.

Referee had us scratching our heads a couple of times, interested in any bodies else take. Heat 11 Jack Hargreaves in Front coming up to 3rd bend and Ben Morley appeared to go for a gap between Jack and the fence that was not there, collected the fence yet Jack excluded - Waco probably has a view from Ben but from where we sat looked harsh. Then Heat 15 3rd bend Dan Halsey behind but trying to get round Ben overcooked on turn 3 and slid off, with no interference Ben then came off on bend 4 after which the red lights came on - only Dan excluded, Ben was allowed in the restart?

Good crowd with plenty from Rye, and great to finally see Cameron on a bike.

There was only going to be one result after Shane Hazelden,was unfortunatly ruled out of the meeting after laying his bike down in heat two to avoid fallen partner Brandon Freemantle...Shane has been in sparkling form this season and his likely points that were lost have made a big difference to the outcome of this KO cup tie..Hawks now have a mountain to climb next sat..That they still have any chance was largely down to a battling performance from Ben Morley,unlucky not to increase his 12 point score (that included a TR Victory in heat 11),, after his machine died on him round the second turn,in heat 15..Most of the Fen Tigers had field day consistantly out gating a subdued Hawks side that produced only two heat wins....Still an enjoyable afternoons racing on a well prepared track ..My only problem the tannoy was to quiet to hear properly...

Solid team performance today, Aaron Baseby superb beat Barry twice and looked quick Lewis gets better each week + Dan & Jack both desreved more points than they got.

Track was excellent with plenty of grip which seemed to catch RH out, despite the scoreline meeting was good with plenty of passing with Ben Morley the pick of the bunch for Rye who were also unlucky to lose Shane Hazelden in Heat 2. Was looking forward to seeing how he handled West Row after his good start to the season - hope his injury nothing serious.

Referee had us scratching our heads a couple of times, interested in any bodies else take. Heat 11 Jack Hargreaves in Front coming up to 3rd bend and Ben Morley appeared to go for a gap between Jack and the fence that was not there, collected the fence yet Jack excluded - Waco probably has a view from Ben but from where we sat looked harsh. Then Heat 15 3rd bend Dan Halsey behind but trying to get round Ben overcooked on turn 3 and slid off, with no interference Ben then came off on bend 4 after which the red lights came on - only Dan excluded, Ben was allowed in the restart?

Refering to heat 11 i can not quote Bens opinion of the incident ..My own opinion of this particular incident which i have seen many times over 6o yrs going to speedway is some you win some you lose.... The other incident Danny Halsey went down first and was the primary cause of the stoppage end of story...

Refering to heat 11 i can not quote Bens opinion of the incident ..My own opinion of this particular incident which i have seen many times over 6o yrs going to speedway is some you win some you lose.... The other incident Danny Halsey went down first and was the primary cause of the stoppage end of story...

Fair comment Waco, always interested to hear the other side of the story - in Ht 15 presumably Ben still had his engine running so technically still under power.

Good to see Mildenhall getting another win, albeit the margin was obviously effected by the absence of one Hackey reserve after heat 2.

This gives Mildenhall a decent lead to defend in the second leg. However, the opposition will be a much tougher proposition around Rye House and with Mildenhall struggling away from home, it could still be quite tight as to who goes through in the tie.

My own opinion of this particular incident which i have seen many times over 6o yrs going to speedway is some you win some you lose....

:D I cant help thinking that you wouldnt have had the same opinion if the exclusion had gone the other way!! :wink:

Edited by neil3065

Good to see Mildenhall getting another win, albeit the margin was obviously effected by the absence of one Hackey reserve after heat 2.

This gives Mildenhall a decent lead to defend in the second leg. However, the opposition will be a much tougher proposition around Rye House and with Mildenhall struggling away from home, it could still be quite tight as to who goes through in the tie.

:D I cant help thinking that you wouldnt have had the same opinion if the exclusion had gone the other way!! :wink:

All i can say is when the same thing happens on the first turn it is invarably all 4 back in...Had the decision gone against Ben i would have been as unhappy about it as you are,,but this type of incident on that particular part of the track is notoriously difficult to call for referees...Fans will have a view based on which team they support,,,human nature :wink::cheers:

Edited by waco

i notice that on the Rye website it says that Shane will move to No1 next week when the new averages kick in.Does anybody know who will drop to reserve? Presume it has to be between Hopwood and Owen neither have had great starts to the season.

Looking at the BSPA site it will be Ben Morley!

Ben Morley may not have had sufficient matches to obtain a new average like the rest of the team,if he moves to reserve as has been suggested its on last seasons average..Once he has obtained a new average he will move back into the team as this seasons scores suggest he is nearer the top of the averages than the bottom..Hope this explains the possible situation ,,but i can not be 100% sure about this till the new averages are announced

Edited by waco

I see what you mean.Bens average has not changed since the start of the season due to him missing some Hackney fixtures.Oh well reserve for the Rockets and the Hawks. At least he shoud get some extra rides for the Hawks.

Whilst I respect Len Silver for his attempts to support young british riders in some respects he does them a disservice in that as soon as they encounter a track with any amount of grip they are somewhat lost.They are mostly very good riders but unless their stay at Rye is only a short one they never seem to step on to the next level.Eddie Kennett is the most obvious example,on small slick tracks he can beat anybody on his day but anywhere else and he flounders.

Whilst I respect Len Silver for his attempts to support young british riders in some respects he does them a disservice in that as soon as they encounter a track with any amount of grip they are somewhat lost.

Rye have always had a significant home track advantage (although PL teams seem to have got used to Rye now and you do get a few away wins these days), but as you suggest, the down-side to that and a contributory factor to what has often been a marked contrast in their away form (certainly since they moved back to Hoddesdon in 2000) seems to have been that they do struggle to adapt to a grippy track away from home.

Whilst I respect Len Silver for his attempts to support young british riders in some respects he does them a disservice in that as soon as they encounter a track with any amount of grip they are somewhat lost.They are mostly very good riders but unless their stay at Rye is only a short one they never seem to step on to the next level.Eddie Kennett is the most obvious example,on small slick tracks he can beat anybody on his day but anywhere else and he flounders.

Dont think it appears to have effected Tai Woffinden or Linus Sunstrom ( to name but 2) to much.