British Speedway Forum
PhilK

British U19 Championship - Rye House 23/07

Not a bad meeting at all.

Good to see all the youngsters showing their passion in the 1st turns.Some very very hard ones at that.

Two things let it down.

1.Lack of any urgency.3Hrs 20 Minutes is far too long.

2.Margaret Vardy,referee.I thought she had a nightmare evening.

Garrity should have been excluded in the 1st running of Ht2,bringing the other 3 down with him.Rightfully excl 2nd time though.I also thought Garrity brought down Sarjeant in Ht15,but all 4 back.

Why stop Ht6,after Sarjeant had fallen on the 1st turn? He got straight up,had his bike in his hands and was starting to push his bike onto the centre green.Red lights on before the riders had got round bends 3 and 4.Then to have a bizzare 'conversation' with the crowd via Craig Saul about the incident was quite surreal.

In another race,(cant remember which one) a rider got trapped under the kickboards on the 1st turn,yet no red lights until they were about to cross the start/finish line,causing mayhem as the others slowed down,with one rider almost coming off as he narrowly avoided the fallen rider.

Early on,it looked like a straight battle between Howarth and Garrity.However,as the track slickened off,so did Howarth.Morris looked rather jaded after a couple of heavy falls,neither of which were his fault.Jacobs looked tidy in all his rides,but lacked some urgency in one race where he seemed to settle for what he had,rather than chase the extra point.Proved vital in the end,as he lost on countback.

Morley clearly using his home track knowledge to good effect.Very pleased to watch both Shane Hazelden and James Sarjeant doing well.Shane even he had a couple of falls to deal with.As for Sarj,well that fall in Ht6 while leading Morley,cost him the meeting in my opinion.He would have had 1st choice of gate in the Final,rather than last.A superb effort all the same.Loved his efforts for Bournemouth and the end of last season.Good to see him and Shane progressing as they have both had plenty of injuries to overcome.

Its very noticable how poorly things were going when you notice how many laps the tractor did,Poor refereeing and the long long timescale in which it was run.

Congratualtions to Jason Garrity on his fine win.

Not read through any posts, so probably repeating what's already been said... The U19 champion should be whoever scores the most points over 5 races, not over 4 laps at the end of the meeting... I can't see how anyone could see that is not just plain common sense!!

Sorry to say I wasn't there, but as it took 3 hours 20 minutes to run I'm relieved not to have been!

Edited by Shadders

Not read through any posts, so probably repeating what's already been said... The U19 champion should be whoever scores the most points over 5 races, not over 4 laps at the end of the meeting... I can't see how anyone could see that is not just plain common sense!!

Don't be ridiculous, you can say that about any individual meeting final now then like GP's, British Final, etc. The only time it should be straight 20 heats is qualifying meetings.

I think if Ben Morley had won it would have been lucky too. Two rides re-run when riders winning races ahead of him fell (those are the breaks) and then he fell in a first bend incident, which looked from where I was that he fell on his own, and imo, he was lucky to get an all four back, and then in another race it looked like he took Joe Jacobs off on the first bend and again he was in an all three back race (Tom Stokes already excluded in first running of race).

I have nothing against Ben Morley but it goes to show even if you went with the highest points scorer over the 20 heat format that luck still plays a part in the result.

Was well impressed with James Serjeant, looks a real prospect for the future :approve:

Lets hope that some of the top performers get the chance to ride in the Premier League.

Lets hope that some of the top performers get the chance to ride in the Premier League.

Agreed Spin King.

Shame Sky couldn't film a meeting like this to showcase the National League, some great racing and it would make a brilliant filler for when they get a meeting rained off like Monday, instead of just repeating the SWC.

Don't be ridiculous, you can say that about any individual meeting final now then like GP's, British Final, etc. The only time it should be straight 20 heats is qualifying meetings.

It's my opinion, so it's not ridiculous... It's an opinion, just like your opinion is not ridiculous... Not having respect for other people's opinions, however foolish you may think they are, shows intolerance and an intimidatory attitude.. I've never been a fan of these kind of meetings where the title is decided over 4 laps.

Edited by Shadders

It's my opinion, so it's not ridiculous... It's an opinion, just like your opinion is not ridiculous... Not having respect for other people's opinions, however foolish you may think they are, shows intolerance and an intimidatory attitude.. I've never been a fan of these kind of meetings where the title is decided over 4 laps.

I actually agree with you. I would rather have 20 heats,meet each other once,top scorer wins.

Otherwise it just a lottery.

Same goes for play offs.Ive never agreed with them at all.We already have a Knock Out Cup,where the best team over two meetings win.

Not a fan at all of race offs.

There seems to be a few people on here lately that have got something against Ben Morley. I thought he had a fantastic night last night and just goes to show what he can do on the night.Some said it was to soon for him to get a call up for the rockets team this year must of been a huge moral booster when he got the call to ride for the Rockets then a huge moral let down when he got dropped and then to come back from all that to ride like he did last night i for one thought was brilliant. He was the only rider to drop only a point from his five rides and he posted one of the fastest times of the night. Shane was also on good form but again i thought little Ben rode better. I got talking to Ben a few weeks ago when some of the Hawks team where promoting speedway in general at a fair and the young lad has certainly got his head screwed on. Ben Morley has got a excellant furture infront of him and i hope he stays with the Rockets or the Hawks/Cobras or what ever they are going to be called next year. A good nights racing and congratulations to all the riders.

Totally agree with you Shadders. just seems a waste of time the person with the most points doesnt win they do all the hard work getting the most points on the night, for example last night, only to come 3rd. Like you say its only an opinion but its your opinion, its my opinion and every has their opinion and everybody should respect each others opinion whether they think its right or wrong and not start sl***ing everyone off because they dont agree or like what some one has written

:drink: Got to agree with Shadders and Pongo( but i would wouldnt i..} Back in the old days when speedway was run properly and individual meetings were run where the winner was the highest scorer after 20 heats of racing you got a fare result on the night.. Modern formats are for the fans who like a one race decision of a nights racing..Certainly not fair on the rider who topped the pile after 20 races... Ben Morley is tough little rider ,rides hard but fair,and has no fear,, and takes adversity on the chin..And im extremely proud to be his grandad... :t: Edited by waco

:drink: Got to agree with Shadders and Pongo( but i would wouldnt i..}Back in the old days when speedway was run properly and individual meetings were run where the winner was the highest scorer after 20 heats of racing you got a fare result on the night.. Modern formats are for the fans who like a one race decision of a nights racing..Certainly not fair on the rider who topped the pile after 20 races... Ben Morley is tough little rider ,rides hard ,and has no fear,, and takes adversity on the chin..And im extremely proud to be his grandad... :t:

I agree too. If that had been the format last season then Joe Jacobs would have been top of the pile at the U-18's. But you enter knowing the rules and you just have to get on with it. As long as you've given your best and enjoyed your racing then the rest will sort itself out. What will be will be.

Again I agree with my old mate Shadders and Pongo and the rest, never really gone for the semi final and final way of sorting out these meetings, maybe we a traditionalists. But as someone has pointed out the riders know the rules when they enter, but for me you sometimes don't get the best rider on the night winning the meeting.

Again I agree with my old mate Shadders and Pongo and the rest, never really gone for the semi final and final way of sorting out these meetings, maybe we a traditionalists. But as someone has pointed out the riders know the rules when they enter, but for me you sometimes don't get the best rider on the night winning the meeting.

Very true but it does not mean they agree with them! The only choice available to the riders, it seems, are to enter or not enter.

Very true but it does not mean they agree with them! The only choice available to the riders, it seems, are to enter or not enter.

Totally agree must be very frustrating when you have gone through the card won every race, only for you to lose out in the Final.