British Speedway Forum

I know how much work and time Richard puts into Buxton speedway he also has a business to run.Any one knows how hard it is to prepare a track when the sun is baking hot like it was on sunday.He had no sooner watered the track before it dried out again ,so he has to drench it before the start to stop it becoming a dust bowl.Ok it did cut up but most tracks do in those conditions.No dout Richard will do his best to put things right before the next meeting.Give him a chance before all you track experts start moaning.

Jack Lee

sometimes the truth hurts. the realality is the track needs sorting out and thats down to the promotion. as the saying goes"theyres none so blind as them that wont see"

You have totally missed the point I was making. I am in no way saying the track was perfect but if it truly was as dangerous as people are making out why was the meeting run in the first place and why was it allowed to continue. If Michael Lee thought it was that bad why didnt he make an official complaint. I would have done if the boot had been on the other foot and if he really feels it was dangerous then as a Mildenhall fan or rider I would feel very let down by him.

You have totally missed the point I was making. I am in no way saying the track was perfect but if it truly was as dangerous as people are making out why was the meeting run in the first place and why was it allowed to continue. If Michael Lee thought it was that bad why didnt he make an official complaint. I would have done if the boot had been on the other foot and if he really feels it was dangerous then as a Mildenhall fan or rider I would feel very let down by him.

why indeed was it run in the first place if indeed it "was not perfect" as you say. at the end of the day were talking about young blokes putting their necks on the line so if the track is not right then the promotion shuld get it right or as near as possible right if its not possible then the riders shoulnt ride. its all very well not facing up to the truth and burying your head in the sand but with all these people complaining the reality is the track is not right and i suspect you know this anyway.

why indeed was it run in the first place if indeed it "was not perfect" as you say. at the end of the day were talking about young blokes putting their necks on the line so if the track is not right then the promotion shuld get it right or as near as possible right if its not possible then the riders shoulnt ride. its all very well not facing up to the truth and burying your head in the sand but with all these people complaining the reality is the track is not right and i suspect you know this anyway.

The truth of the matter is that the referee did not say it was unfit to race and neither did any official complain on the day, end of. The main problem was we couldn't get enough water on the track as the sun was drying it out as soon as it was put down so I guess we should cancel the meeting the next time the sun is shining :rolleyes: I guess Mildenhall is perfect every week is it? As is every other track in the country. My previous offer still stands for all the keyboard experts to come and show us where we are going wrong or better still you can take it off our hands and we can sit back and watch.

My gripe isn't with the dust. It's the fact that the base is coming up on bends 1, 3 and 4. You don't need to be an expert at track prep to know that's not good

The truth of the matter is that the referee did not say it was unfit to race and neither did any official complain on the day, end of. The main problem was we couldn't get enough water on the track as the sun was drying it out as soon as it was put down so I guess we should cancel the meeting the next time the sun is shining :rolleyes: I guess Mildenhall is perfect every week is it? As is every other track in the country. My previous offer still stands for all the keyboard experts to come and show us where we are going wrong or better still you can take it off our hands and we can sit back and watch.

well the referee isnt riding a bike and neither were any of the officials or you for that matter.sometimes you have take on board riders concerns and do something about it instead of getting so shirty with people who have legitamate concerns.

The water needs to go on the night before or at the very latest the morning of the meeting.

We overcome the hot weather most meetings in an aussie summer by using this formula.

The water needs to be given time to soak into the soil, if there is a good layer above the base.

Junior

I think telling everyone to come and have a go for themselves is both a red herring and a cheap shot. Personally, I think most people are taking the opportunity as a paying customer to complain and they have that right.

Squall is right; dust isn't pleasant but on a day like Sunday its not unexpected. However, the base was showing on the first two corners and I lost count of how many riders either lost it or fell on the mid point on the 3rd/4th turns.

Sunday was my first visit this season so I don't know what it has been like before but I am told that it hasn't been good at all, so it seems it was more the rule than the exception.

One or two of the remarks made here are unnecessary and you don't deserve them. I suspect that many would echo my thoughts when I say that I would take the greatest pleasure next Sunday if I was able to come on here and tell everyone that it had improved because Michael Lee is certainly right about the fact that Buxton is a terrific little set up.

Richard and Jayne provide third tier racing season after season in what must be the most difficult location in the country. They do their very best with what they have available, sometimes the track is not very good but nobody can put that down to lack of effort by the promotion.

If, as has been suggested, the base has broken up it is not going to be something that can be fixed mid season. I would also suggest that the weather we have had recently with alternating rain and hot spells with a bit of wind thrown for good measure in must affect Buxton's exposed location far more than the majority of tracks. Give the pair of them a break, nobody puts more effort into grass roots Speedway than they do.

Richard and Jayne provide third tier racing season after season in what must be the most difficult location in the country. They do their very best with what they have available, sometimes the track is not very good but nobody can put that down to lack of effort by the promotion.

If, as has been suggested, the base has broken up it is not going to be something that can be fixed mid season. I would also suggest that the weather we have had recently with alternating rain and hot spells with a bit of wind thrown for good measure in must affect Buxton's exposed location far more than the majority of tracks. Give the pair of them a break, nobody puts more effort into grass roots Speedway than they do.

I wouldn't dispute a word of that, Vince.

The thing is though is that it is better to have your paying customers to tell you what is wrong so that you can at least attempt to put it right than have them just walk away.

The base hasn't broken up, it was exposed - it looked like large flat stones to me on the first corner.

well the referee isnt riding a bike and neither were any of the officials or you for that matter.sometimes you have take on board riders concerns and do something about it instead of getting so shirty with people who have legitamate concerns.

Nor were any of the expert fans I would expect !!!

Maybe it would be a good idea for Jayne or Richard to get in touch with someone like Doc Bridgett and get him to have a good look at the track. Perhaps get him to completely re-lay it. Ask him for advice. What quarries does he recommend to get shale from? How long should it be stored for before laying it? Are there any other materials that would help it bind better? Show him what plant you've got. Is there a wonder wheel, a spike harrow and a blade? I'm no expert on track prep, but these are the kind of questions that would help.

The Buxton track must be one of the most difficult tracks to keep in good condition with it being so high up. The last two winters have been really bad. I wonder if the amount snow and ice they've had has made the base deteriorate? It's certainly had an effect on the roads with cracks and holes appearing.

I havent been this season yet planning my first visit on Sunday, but last season I saw some cracking meeting, went to the last 4 of the season and the track looked ok then.

Looking forward to sunday, hope its Ok.

Maybe it would be a good idea for Jayne or Richard to get in touch with someone like Doc Bridgett and get him to have a good look at the track. Perhaps get him to completely re-lay it. Ask him for advice. What quarries does he recommend to get shale from? How long should it be stored for before laying it? Are there any other materials that would help it bind better? Show him what plant you've got. Is there a wonder wheel, a spike harrow and a blade? I'm no expert on track prep, but these are the kind of questions that would help.

The Buxton track must be one of the most difficult tracks to keep in good condition with it being so high up. The last two winters have been really bad. I wonder if the amount snow and ice they've had has made the base deteriorate? It's certainly had an effect on the roads with cracks and holes appearing.

Who is going to pay for all this shale and equipment? I's not like there are 1000's coming through the gate every week.

Feel free to show us how its done then. :neutral:

First off, get some shale that is suitable for speedway, instead of any old rubbish that you can get from the quarry down the road!