British Speedway Forum

But doesn't every sport have a rule that will be on the lines of individuals or teams must perform to the best of their abilities (as in not throwing a contest or part of it)?

I'm sure i've seen it mentioned in some speedway regulations i've read recently.

Agree very much with cancelling the double points rule.

The rule is that all riders must make a bona fide attempt to race. Yet we've seen it happen where riders used to drop points in GPs and World Championship rounds to get a better draw in the next heat/meeting.

What planet are you on britpete? planet cuckoo land I guess. Absolutely done on purpose as was proven by Wards comments just before the race. Cheat comes to mind but justice was done in the end when holder came 3rd bl**dy good job :cheers:

I can accept that Batch was asked to end the race behind Max. I refuse to accept that he deliberately made the move he did.

He got himself in a complete mess and was lucky to get out of it without dropping the bike or leaving the track.

But doesn't every sport have a rule that will be on the lines of individuals or teams must perform to the best of their abilities (as in not throwing a contest or part of it)?

I'm sure i've seen it mentioned in some speedway regulations i've read recently.

What constitutes performing to the best though?

For the team, it was clear that the best that Batch could do was end third...He had Max Dilger, a sub 3 point Premier League rider up against him...He surely can only be congratulated for making the effort to end the race behind Max...especially in the fashion that he did :D

It's just a shame for Australia that Holder isn't good enough :D

As an aside, do you REALLY think that AJ couldn't have held off Bjarne? No doubt in my mind that AJ knew what he was doing there...Just a shame that the Swedish team manager didn't know what he was doing and left Lindgren in for the double points race.

Arthur is the best natural rider I've seen since Mick Doohan & Wayne Gardner, and before that Bill Ivy, Mike Hailwood and Giacomo Agostini. He has the capacity to amaze you. Never had the pleasure of seeing Casey Stoner live, but.

Arthur is a fantastic talent on a motorbike...I have seen him racing in the RBR series and also on a speedway track...A real shame that he couldn't be convinced to stick with the sliding.

However, I think you missed someone in your run down of natural talents on a road racing bike BFD....*cough* The Doctor *cough* ;)

What planet are you on britpete? planet cuckoo land I guess. Absolutely done on purpose as was proven by Wards comments just before the race. Cheat comes to mind but justice was done in the end when holder came 3rd bl**dy good job :cheers:

A speedway race is very easy to fix. Why would he make a dangerous move like that to finish last? He could just have just gated behind them and stayed there.But he didn't did he?

He was ahead of the German rider at the first attempt to run the heat, in fact he was disputing the lead wit Pedersen.Why would he do that if he intended to be last?

In the re-run he gated last, yet he passed Dilger, once again, why?

Troy was poor all evening, was he also giving points away in his other races? ( Troy Batchelor - R , 1 , DW , 2 , 1 = 4)

Glory Rory was last to a German rider, another fix?

Holder messed up his race whilst taking his joker ride even though he led from the gate. Another fix?

As for what Ward said on tv, well I stopped believing what riders say publicly a long time ago.

Have a good day.

Read more:http://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=world&action=display&thread=8375#ixzz1RgCCckvK

Not sure if was on purpose or not, but if it was then justice was done because as others have pointed out it is "legal cheating".

The rule in it's current definition is daft and last night showed it. With 3 teams so close on points, a rule that would allow the third placed team the opportunity to draw level with the first placed team is ludicrous. I understand the logic of having a double points "joker" to keep a meeting close but in this instance changes should be made ; either the points gap must be greater than 6 before the joker can be played, or the joker shouldn't be allowed after say heat 22.

At one stage I thought Boycey might be doing the honourable thing, i.e. winning the meeting without using the stupid double points rule and beating the opposition fair and square, but I guess I was dreaming.

Oh, and didn't Nigel Pearson go on and on about it !!!

Ward completey give the Aussie game away in his interveiw. Cocky little sh** he is. Not to worry cos I won't be seeing u in the gp qualifier final thank god. Talent? Yes he has buts needs to grow up.

Possibly true, but a bit rich josie..... remind you of someone in the Eastbourne line up ?

Not sure if was on purpose or not, but if it was then justice was done because as others have pointed out it is "legal cheating".

The rule in it's current definition is daft and last night showed it. With 3 teams so close on points, a rule that would allow the third placed team the opportunity to draw level with the first placed team is ludicrous. I understand the logic of having a double points "joker" to keep a meeting close but in this instance changes should be made ; either the points gap must be greater than 6 before the joker can be played, or the joker shouldn't be allowed after say heat 22.

At one stage I thought Boycey might be doing the honourable thing, i.e. winning the meeting without using the stupid double points rule and beating the opposition fair and square, but I guess I was dreaming.

Oh, and didn't Nigel Pearson go on and on about it !!!

Betchelors' move looked very suspect , at least he didn't pull over with a "sick" engine . The best thing to do with all these double point Joker rides is to change the rule so's that the rider going for double points has to win the race to get the 6 points and make it an 8 point gap before you can use it

Tricky one...

Why would Batchelor actually 'mix it up', pass somebody.. then do a 180 degree spin... he could have just tucked in behind on the inside (I've seen more dirt at the bottom of the kids rabbit hutch) and not passed if he had tried. Why mix it up on the 1st and 2nd bends??

Unless he was disgusted to have been asked to throw it, and made it look obvious to embarrass his coach into looking like a cheat.

As for the comments that he's better than Woffinden. That's a poor shout, in my opinion. I couldn't see Batchelor rattling up a 15 points max in the British Final, however decent a rider is.

As for Ward being cocky. Fair enough.. he can be. But after seeing the kid ride the wall of death round the boards for laps trying to pick up some dirt to gain another point, with maximum effort, flat out and fearless, I do admit to liking the kid.

With an earlier Joker when Holder and Ward were racing possible, the Aussies could have grabbed this, and it would have let Batchelor go flat out for the two points in that race with the spin. Terrible team management, you take every opportunity for points available to you... and they didn't. Ridiculous.

Now we have a hungry Aussie side in the Play-Off meet, who will be VERY difficult to beat. Especially if managed correctly.

As for Ward and the GP's, I'd welcome him anytime. Like him or not... I personally like him... he's what speedway is all about. And a couple of U21 wins, with a third possible, for me entitles him to an invite anyway. He is world class.

Greg.

Dont be so dull. Batchelor is better in the EL, is streets ahead in Poland and a good scorer in Swedish EL too.

Your sensible, average fan would rather Troy in their team in any of the 3 main leagues than Tai.

Disagree, but im happy with that.

Tai over Troy for most sensible people every day of the week.

Disagree, but im happy with that.

Tai over Troy for most sensible people every day of the week.

How?! Batchelor is better in all 3 leagues! Neither are world champion material but Batchelor is a better rider and the facts and stats back this up.

Usual Wolves bias from you, again.

How?! Batchelor is better in all 3 leagues! Neither are world champion material but Batchelor is a better rider and the facts and stats back this up.

Usual Wolves bias from you, again.

Troy and Tai are about the same to me. Both can be awesome but both can make silly mistakes.

Batchelor is a few years older mind.

didn't he do the same thing in 2010 or 2009 ?

take the joker when you can, you may not get another chance

exactly. doesn't matter when you use it as long as you get the full value of it.

i've never understood the reasoning behind waiting to use it,it was clear to

most people that boyce missed a trick.

Troy and Tai are about the same to me. Both can be awesome but both can make silly mistakes.

Batchelor is a few years older mind.

Until Tai averages more than Troy in at least 2 of the major leagues, I think most people will realise that Troy is the better rider.

I couldn't see Batchelor rattling up a 15 points max in the British Final, however decent a rider is.

Neither could I. Batchelor will never be British Champion if you ask me.

Neither could I. Batchelor will never be British Champion if you ask me.

Well, you never know mate!

British ChampionsYear Winner Runner-Up Third

1961 Barry Briggs Peter Craven Ronnie Moore

1962 Peter Craven Barry Briggs Ronnie Moore

1963 Peter Craven Barry Briggs Nigel Boocock

1964 Barry Briggs Ken McKinlay Ron How

1965 Barry Briggs Nigel Boocock Ken McKinlay

1966 Barry Briggs Ivan Mauger Colin Pratt

1967 Barry Briggs Ivan Mauger Eric Boocock

1968 Ivan Mauger Barry Briggs Eric Boocock

1969 Barry Briggs Nigel Boocock Ronnie Moore

1970 Ivan Mauger Ronnie Moore Roy Trigg

1971 Ivan Mauger Barry Briggs Tony Lomas

1972 Ivan Mauger

:lol: Regards. Alan.

If Batch did deliberately get 3rd, so what, as he broke no rule and it's happened plenty of times in the past.

Back in the old style GP days where gate positions were determined by your finishing position in a previous race, hope that bit makes sense, plenty of riders slowed up to allow others go past. Tony Rickardson did it loads of times.

The other thing to remember, if it was deliberate, that it would have been on team orders. Not his fault, just doing as he was told.

Edited by Mark