British Speedway Forum

Don't go there , we've more important stuff going on at Somerset and Rye House this weekend .

Would you say in theory, seeing him every week, that Screeny would be as good as Bridger? I personally think so, although in reality I'm not sure he'd be that keen now.

Would you say in theory, seeing him every week, that Screeny would be as good as Bridger? I personally think so, although in reality I'm not sure he'd be that keen now.

Trouble with Screeny at the moment is that he's riding through the pain barrier with tendonitis in his elbow . He's not even doing heat 15's in league matches unless it's absolutely necessary . So , no , he'd probably not be too keen .

He probably would be as effective as Bridger though but , sad as it is , Bridger is one of the best of the next generation ( god help us ) and for him to progress at all , at international level , he needs to be in the side .

I thought we fought back well after a disastrous start.. We got through comfortably enough in the end, and that's the best we could hope for anyway..

I think he meant constructive - which "Don't give", "Ignore" and "Don't take" are not.

You're confusing criticism and praise. Criticism = "Nicholls bottles the joker again" so I went with constructive, don't give Nicholls the joker.

....why no Stead......

Because he's not good enough? A 6.5-7 point man who scores well at Swindon. Can't hack it on away track, abroad or in the SWC. Simon scored 1 more last year than Ben did last night and Simon had 2 more rides.

On what basis should we include Simon? His nice hair?

I cant believe all the bad mouthing of Middlo and the GB team. We just haven't got the quality of riders that most of the other teams have but they raced their hearts out last night. It was always gonna be uphill for them against the mighty Poles but they gave everything and more. You cant knock them for doing their best and personal digs dont help.

if the riderts cant stay on the bike then little the team manager can do. the team itself was probably correct but the riders just sometimes dont get it. its 25 heats with only poland as opposition, so stay on your bike and come second. between scot and tai we lost probably 10 points, how can you expect to get close to poland giving them that much advantage? when you look at the playoff the same applies dont come last and dont fall off, you will then stay in touch,

Edited by philfromcov

I think Middlo has great rapport with the riders and was proud at the way they fought back lastnight. Enjoyed the meeting regardless of the result.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing....you can't please everyone all of the time...are just some of the one liners that are appropriate. No matter who he chose for the team/used for the joker it wouldn't please all. :rolleyes:

In the final heat thought Tai may have remained in 3rd :wink: runoff for 3rd place, we may have got the Czechs instead of a stronger Russia in the final, if Emil etc are back in for Gorzow :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Come on Team Gb thursday...

I cant see how a team manager can make riders "gate", because we were outgated and outclassed, at least the scores from round one were close, and I thought that Barker did well in comparison to his highly experienced team mates

Agreed he cannot make them gate but he can pick riders who know how to.I think Ben Barker is an odious little g!t personally but respect him greatly for his pride in riding for his country.The thing is he is not exactly famous for his gating skills and last night the only way the poles were going to be beaten was from the gate or by Bomber who is the only brit capable of overtaking them.On the odd occasion we did hit the front we generally stayed there and the poles seemed ruffled when behind.We could hardly rely on the czechs or the rusky B team to take many points off them so we had to do it ourselves so why he did not pick Olly Allen beggars belief.On virtually every other track in the world I would have agreed with picking B.B. but around Lynn only a fool would leave out Olly and he did!???? :blink:

You're confusing criticism and praise. Criticism = "Nicholls bottles the joker again" so I went with constructive, don't give Nicholls the joker.

Because he's not good enough? A 6.5-7 point man who scores well at Swindon. Can't hack it on away track, abroad or in the SWC. Simon scored 1 more last year than Ben did last night and Simon had 2 more rides.

On what basis should we include Simon? His nice hair?

Agree with your sentiments re Steady but it should be said there were 3 teams there last year and only 2 this so easier pickings in theory?

I think Middlo has great rapport with the riders and was proud at the way they fought back lastnight. Enjoyed the meeting regardless of the result.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing....you can't please everyone all of the time...are just some of the one liners that are appropriate. No matter who he chose for the team/used for the joker it wouldn't please all. :rolleyes:

In the final heat thought Tai may have remained in 3rd :wink: runoff for 3rd place, we may have got the Czechs instead of a stronger Russia in the final, if Emil etc are back in for Gorzow :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Come on Team Gb thursday...

Quite agree with your sentiments. No matter what happened last night, you could put your money on the usual suspects knocking GB and their performance. Nothing changes.

I thought it was a good meeting and GB got over their dodgy patch with nil scores from Tai and Scott and come on very strong in the latter phase. Just imagine how close it could have been if Tai(twice) and Scott had got say second places and the result might well have been reversed. Middlo was spot on to take Barker out when he did(given his first ride) and showed his superb man management skills in bringing him back in for his final ride when he won it well. Barker will forget the missing rides and pleased as punch he got back in and won. That's what man management is about for those who don't recognise it. Agree with those who thought Tai would hold back in third place to help the Czech's. I though he had initially held back from the gate but then seemed to want to race for the extra point. I don't think Middlo knows anything about what team Russia will track on Thursday. I would think that negotiations are still on going with 2 Russians being brought in but no Emil. Either way, last night was our high spot and, whereas I think we will not disgrace ourselves then, I can't see us progressing to the final with Sweden and Australia going through.

Pretty certain we will be seeing another thread like this come Friday morning with the same posters.

Quite agree with your sentiments. No matter what happened last night, you could put your money on the usual suspects knocking GB and their performance. Nothing changes.

I thought it was a good meeting and GB got over their dodgy patch with nil scores from Tai and Scott and come on very strong in the latter phase. Just imagine how close it could have been if Tai(twice) and Scott had got say second places and the result might well have been reversed. Middlo was spot on to take Barker out when he did(given his first ride) and showed his superb man management skills in bringing him back in for his final ride when he won it well. Barker will forget the missing rides and pleased as punch he got back in and won. That's what man management is about for those who don't recognise it. Agree with those who thought Tai would hold back in third place to help the Czech's. I though he had initially held back from the gate but then seemed to want to race for the extra point. I don't think Middlo knows anything about what team Russia will track on Thursday. I would think that negotiations are still on going with 2 Russians being brought in but no Emil. Either way, last night was our high spot and, whereas I think we will not disgrace ourselves then, I can't see us progressing to the final with Sweden and Australia going through.

Pretty certain we will be seeing another thread like this come Friday morning with the same posters.

I have to agree with you . Sadly we are now quite a fair bit behind the speedway world's super-powers , and that doesn't look like changing any time soon . Whether it was Middlo or Sir Alex Ferguson in the pits last night , it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference .

We arent going to win the competition..... and even if we managed to sneak into the final somehow, we won't be getting on to the podium......so with the greatest of respect what is the point in discussing guys like Stead, Allen, Screen etc? It is unlikely that any of them will be doing a Zorro over the next few years....

Ben Barker's place shouldn't be in question (only his choice of lines on a one line track!) ...... and with Lewis still having the potential and ability to become a top rider it makes sense that he is picked

Even if Rico changed his mind in the future, it is still likely that he and Scott will retire or start dropping standard in the next few years........ we have to bring on others to replace them

One thing that does bother me is the management of this particular group of guys ..... with Lewis now coming in i'm only counting 2 wise heads in the team......and at times 3 liabilities ..................... What exactly is Tai's issue with the Dryml's? Why does he think national TV is the best place to share it while he is representing GB? and why does he think that if we are to get any grudges going in a match it should be with ..... the Czechs? Is this really who he thinks we were in a battle with last night?

I have to agree with you . Sadly we are now quite a fair bit behind the speedway world's super-powers , and that doesn't look like changing any time soon . Whether it was Middlo or Sir Alex Ferguson in the pits last night , it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference .

In real terms I don't think the gap is too big, I just think GB has a shortage of riders to choose from. Harris, Woffy and Kennett are capable of matching the Swedes and Aussies; If Barker and Bridger pick up points, who knows?

How must the Americans feel? World Champions 1982, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1998 and now left with one world class rider and can't even get past the preliminary rounds. It's not as bad as you think folks. Stick with em.

Edited by ImpartialOne

Spot on. Is all this knocking supposed to motivate the team? Seems funny that Middlo's management skills have been brought into question by some who don't appear to have any at all :rolleyes:

In real terms I don't think the gap is too big, I just think GB has a shortage of riders to choose from. Harris, Woffy and Kennett are capable of matching the Swedes and Aussies; If Barker and Bridger pick up points, who knows?

How must the Americans feel? World Champions 1982, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1998 and now left with one world class rider and can't even get past the preliminary rounds. It's not as bad as you think folks. Stick with em.

Whilst i admire your optimism , i fear there is more chance of us ending up like America than catching the Poles and Danes . I worry what the future holds once Harris , Richardson and Nicholls are no longer about .

Kennett , Bridger and Barker are ok , but not in the same league as the likes of Hampel , Holder , Lindgren , Bjerre - who are the next standard bearers of their respective nations . Whilst Woffinden's progress seems to have stalled .