British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TMW

Colts V Heathens

There have been a lot of postings about what happened last night and the losers were the spectators who paid good money to watch a speedway match but if the track was that bad, how come times in the 62 sec region were recorded including a brilliant ride by Tom Perry to pass Adam McKinna on the line. Kyle H went out in Ht 1 with the track at its worst and recorded 63.0, hardly an indication of a bad track.

If the track wasn't that bad, why was there extensive grading (at the request of the riders) after heat 5 and heat 7, why did the belle Vue team manager describe it as nothing more than 'rideable' after that grading had taken place, why has Chris Morton admitted that it was rutted on the Aces website, why were there crashes in almost every heat (certainly up to heat 7) and why did the Dudley riders refuse to ride (they didn't do that at Stoke on the end of a similar hammering a few weeks ago) ?

As I have pointed out, if you ride an appalling track surface week in, week out, (and by all accounts that is how Belle Vue is) you get used to it and are aware of precisely how to cope with it. As I have also pointed out, Tom Perry is a grass tracker who is at home on rough surfaces.

Couple of questions for you:

Why not just prepare a decent surface that all teams will be reasonably comfortable with and can really have a go on ? Virtually everyone else does it, so why not Belle Vue ?

On one thing we agree on, and that is that it is the spectators who are the main losers (although I'd say the Dudley riders who are nursing injuries (however minor) also fall into that category). The losers in the long run, however, will be Belle Vue Speedway, because fans will stop coming to watch one-sided farces on slagheap tracks.

As a neutral fan with no axe to grind with anyone, I will have very little sympathy if they state complaining about crowd figures for their matches because as far as I am concerned that is Belle Vue's fault and theirs alone.

The following is an extract from a book written by former Australian international John Langfield in 2003 called "How to master the art of motorcycle racing" on the subject of riding bumpy tracks " During a race do not alter direction or back off on the throttle in an attempt to miss bumps or ruts in the track. The faster you go the more the wheels will skim across the surface and make the ride smoother. Looking for undulating areas will make you lose concentration. The subconscious reaction is to try to avoid the bumps and the tendency to back off the power comes into play causing the weight to transfer to the front of the machine and speed to slacken off actually bringing the bumps into contention. When the throttle was open and the weight was on the back we had the all-important speed and the track surface condition was less of an issue. Try it and you will believe."

...but if the track was that bad, how come times in the 62 sec region were recorded including a brilliant ride by Tom Perry to pass Adam McKinna on the line. Kyle H went out in Ht 1 with the track at its worst and recorded 63.0, hardly an indication of a bad track.

That was early on. I wasn't there but the chances are that the track would get worse before it got better. It's usually the case that it breaks/ruts up when it's ridden on. And stated several times (mentioned again in the quote below) Tom is primarily a grasstracker who is just trying his hand at speedway. By his own admission it's taken him some time this season to get back into the swing of riding speedway again. He's come across as quite frustrated with himself for some lacklustre displays but has looked much improved this month. I suspect a difficult track wouldn't bother him in the slightest as long as we're taking about a track with plenty of dirt rather than a slick hard crumbling surface.

If the track wasn't that bad, why was there extensive grading (at the request of the riders) after heat 5 and heat 7, why did the belle Vue team manager describe it as nothing more than 'rideable' after that grading had taken place, why has Chris Morton admitted that it was rutted on the Aces website, why were there crashes in almost every heat (certainly up to heat 7) and why did the Dudley riders refuse to ride (they didn't do that at Stoke on the end of a similar hammering a few weeks ago) ?

As I have pointed out, if you ride an appalling track surface week in, week out, (and by all accounts that is how Belle Vue is) you get used to it and are aware of precisely how to cope with it. As I have also pointed out, Tom Perry is a grass tracker who is at home on rough surfaces.

Couple of questions for you:

Why not just prepare a decent surface that all teams will be reasonably comfortable with and can really have a go on ? Virtually everyone else does it, so why not Belle Vue ?

On one thing we agree on, and that is that it is the spectators who are the main losers (although I'd say the Dudley riders who are nursing injuries (however minor) also fall into that category). The losers in the long run, however, will be Belle Vue Speedway, because fans will stop coming to watch one-sided farces on slagheap tracks.

As a neutral fan with no axe to grind with anyone, I will have very little sympathy if they state complaining about crowd figures for their matches because as far as I am concerned that is Belle Vue's fault and theirs alone.

Good points made and coming from a neutral too.

put it to bed after you tell the truth...kyle went into ashley at monmore and wiped him out :nono:

Sorry mate but you are mistaken. Seeing it live it appeared that way but having seen the video evidence it's not the case. It's just a racing incident and neither rider really does anything wrong as such, but it's Ash that clips Kyle.

The following is an extract from a book written by former Australian international John Langfield in 2003 called "How to master the art of motorcycle racing" on the subject of riding bumpy tracks " During a race do not alter direction or back off on the throttle in an attempt to miss bumps or ruts in the track. The faster you go the more the wheels will skim across the surface and make the ride smoother. Looking for undulating areas will make you lose concentration. The subconscious reaction is to try to avoid the bumps and the tendency to back off the power comes into play causing the weight to transfer to the front of the machine and speed to slacken off actually bringing the bumps into contention. When the throttle was open and the weight was on the back we had the all-important speed and the track surface condition was less of an issue. Try it and you will believe."

yeah - and apparently, because of the downforce that they achieve, you can drive a formula 1 car upside down as long as you exceed 140 mph. Wouldn't fancy it myself though would you? Easy to write this stuff - quite something else actually doing it.

no your right i dont know you, but if your setting your 14yr old an example of making personal attacks on people doesnt really say much does it, point is were going to disagree which is fine, but dont attack people, especially friends of mine who you pay to see entertain you

well perhaps your (friend) should not attack others then and if you are an older (friend) maybe you can teach him some manners yes and you said i pay to be entertained not watch some farce of a circus and some gobby kid so nothing personal to your (friends ) give me a whole list of them and we will see if we can avoid them on here in future !!!!!!

Edited by heathhen1

...In my day.....if the track was unfit and dangerous and our riders were refusing to ride......

We would sit on the track until the meeting was called off........then we would demand a refund :shock: