British Speedway Forum

Best GP of the year so far.

After the undoubted improvement in track preparation standards that we witnessed last year during Tony Olsson's first season as SGP race director, this year has generally been a big disappointment in comparison.

With Torun, Gorican and Gorzow left on the calendar (Vojens will probably be a typical Ole Olsen slick fest) hopefully this event marks a turning point for the rest of the championship in terms of the quality of racing on offer.

Would be great to see Greg go all the way this year. I must admit that I didn't think he would be a serious contender for the championship, but he has shown real character and it would be a tremendous achievement to win a second World Championship after all these years.

Edited by Dave C

It was weird. In real time I thought it was Holder's fault, but on the replay you could see it was nothing to with him, just Sayfutdinov and Lindback arrived at the same place at the same time. Tough call, but on balance I think the ref got it right.

Not sure about nothing to do with him, he came into that corner with far too much speed to be in control, I suspect had Sayfutdinov not move out then Holder would have wiped him out

I felt Holder while not hitting Sayfutdinov would have caused the late turn that he made.

Why do you actually ave to make contact with someone to be the cause of a fall ???

Its a shame in these circumstances that an all 4 back decision can't be made, although just because there was no contact meant it wasn't Holders fault...hmmm.....

Although Holder didn't touch Sayfutdinov, you could see Sayfutdinov have to adjust his line at the last moment and with Linback right beside him caused the melee. If Linback hadn't have been there they'd have all got round the turn. Holder was certainly the catalyst in my eyes, but Sayfutindov was the unlucky scapegoat

What a great GP with a stupendous final.... and just the tonic that the series needed! I wasnt sure about the track at first (along with several of the riders :P) but it just goes to prove that we should not have clone surfaces in the championship

I can only echo others on Emil.... I actually think his issue is arrogance... he is so skilled and sharp with his reflexes that he rides like he is invincible......... he would do well to watch footage of Greg, Leigh and Jason in the name of self preservation, or his career will be blighted by injuries to himself and others............. just like Nicki though, he is pure gold for the competition

So what is happening with Tomasz? His scores are tailing off drastically but at least in Cardiff and Terenzano he was on the pace............. last night he was so badly off the pace it wasnt true........ this was like the Tomasz of 3+ years ago who would have a few very duff GP's........ and like someone who, along with his pit crew, are scratching their heads over machinery

Glad to see Bomber pick up the pace and now edge in front of Janusz .... as someone else said, it is going to be difficult to catch up to 8th.... but what is possible is to catch up to Nicki, Freddie and a more easily given WC .......... would love to see Chris do what he did in the final third of last season though, and qualify as of right

Definitely Holder was at least partly responsible - ES took the preferred option of being the rider on the inside of the clash (with Lindback) than being on the outside of the clash with Holder where he's more likely to go over the top. Holder actually does charge up the inside quite often and looked desperate last night. If he is suffering from fatigue, it could make matters worse.

Holder did have a big hand in it.... but he wasnt at fault imo

With Chris coming up the inside Emil had two choices.... strategically get hit by Chris and go down...... or stick on the anchors........................... he decided to take the third option which didnt exist.... on that surface anyway

What was wrong with MR Gollob, is he injured?????

I don't know, has Mr Gollob bought any new silencers prior to the GP?

Not sure how much or if Sam gets paid to plug Kandysoft every week or whether it's even permitted to do so.

However, if the software is up to what mine does i'd strongly sugggest Sam speaks up and passes the information on to the studio team a lot earlier..................

Thanks for the BSF plug manchesterpaul........ your cheque is in the post! :drink:

It is! :)

ATB

Dave

Why do you actually ave to make contact with someone to be the cause of a fall ???

because if there's no contact it's your own fault. A rider doesn't fall because of a gust of wind from another's bike. To unbalance a rider there has to be contact. Again it's basic physics.

Whats the matter with Gollob? He must be as baffled as everyone else.

safrican american safrican american

It was weird. In real time I thought it was Holder's fault, but on the replay you could see it was nothing to with him, just Sayfutdinov and Lindback arrived at the same place at the same time. Tough call, but on balance I think the ref got it right.

Yep pretty much what I thought. The meeting was excellent, first gp I have enjoyed for a very long time, a decent track, that the riders could trust and we had a great meeting.

Watched the GP on replay this morning,this is what we have been waiting for this year.A 3 hour unfolding story with highs, lows ,incident,good guys,bad guys and most important not knowing the destiny of the winner until the last.I think it showed that track preparation is the biggest issue in the sport.As Phil Rising said on here Tony Olsson has little control,so well done to the guys at Mallila for doing a top job.After all the excuses trotted out this year it shows it can be done and as fans we should demand it.Surely the GP wont be moved from Mallila as is rumoured.

It really was a fantastic racing meeting, speedway racing at its best.. rather than just 'speedway riding' where the close scoreline is all that kept it interesting. I was disappointed in both Nicki and Gollob's performances, two men who usually love to mix it and race, but were just not at the part at all last night.

Its a shame in these circumstances that an all 4 back decision can't be made, although just because there was no contact meant it wasn't Holders fault...hmmm.....

I agree. The ref should have authority to say all 4 back on any lap. It's stupid that bunching on bend 1 can see 'all 4 back' but you cant at any other time. Plenty of occasions when someone falls off in a 'no blame' situation.

Not sure how much or if Sam gets paid to plug Kandysoft every week or whether it's even permitted to do so.

However, if the software is up to what mine does i'd strongly sugggest Sam speaks up and passes the information on to the studio team a lot earlier.

If i can type, as slow as i do and post on a forum all the details and permutations before Sky mention it on air (or don't mention as is often the case), then surely Sam (if like my info in front of me, all is visible) can mention to his team the correct scenarios?

If you have and see the info please Sam let the viewers know. Any newcomers watching will just think what on earth! when they keep retracting and rehashing what is at stake. Having said that they have improved massively this year and greatest thanks to Sky for us having a studio team. Worth every penny of my subscription to Sky for the sport.

Thanks for the BSF plug manchesterpaul........ your cheque is in the post! :drink:

It is! :)

ATB

Dave

Chuckle, Chuckle at your plug and cheque comments. And of course i never doubted your capabilities.

Joking aside, don't worry Dave as mentioned in the past i'm not heaping blame on your software. 100% full benefit of the doubt. I know that one of the most hilarious blunders last season just had to be human input error!

Not sure if i should have started a new thread asking fans if they are interested in obtaining FREE Speedway software, but as it's not ready yet it's probably best to just respond to your post here rather than take up extra space.

I'm just a little disappointed that after a clear improvement this season in the Sky team being aware of all the permutations, and passing most of the info on, that they have recently reverted to the dire confusion of previous years. I'm not talking about any verbal slip-ups or a moment of absent-mindedness but am referring to when they embarrassingly give repeated incorrect output. Annoyingly and unforgivably it's 95% of the time on the semi-final qualifying permutations.

Presuming your software presents the same high level of information at a glance as mine does it's a very poor show by Sam to not be capable of comprehending what is in front of him in simple plain sight. Don't wish to lay the blame on him without having seen your software but It's the only thing i can think of as the cause of some of the statements that are made or not made. Many a time i can actually figure out the information that he's missing/not read. I was going to add not passed on, however, in view of what at times he is saying it often indicates he hasn't seen on his screen (or not got on his screen) the necessary stats and facts.

One thing i must congratulate you on is how you are saving an absolute fortune, as i'm sure to purchase the advertising time on Sky that Sam gets you would amount to a hefty sum lol. I'd keep it quiet from their advertising revenue department though :)

On a serious note, i am very surprised that your product does keep getting free plugs on air. As far as i'm aware not only would/should Sky have strict guidelines as a broadcaster regards product placement or endorsement by a presenter but there are actually very strict Govermental regulations on such matters. I don't think it matters whether a presenter is being paid to mention (= advertise) a product or he does so out of, for example, friendship or mere personal like for something he has.

There has been a big uproar with Sky and their NFL fans for a couple of years now. They have a daily magazine programme called 'Total Access' which was always on. Unfortunately, we've had two years or so now of it being pulled at the last minute and often only being shown once a week - Sky fuzzing out logos etc for just one episode. The reason being because of product placement or advertising falling foul of strict UK regulations. The fact that many of the products are not available in the UK makes no difference. I think ESPN get away with it because they are not registered in the UK.

Pulling all that back to speedway.......is that i know if i decide to go commercial with my software i'd be a little miffed at what would be a 'rival' product receiving such free advertising and endorsements. My original plans and current intentions are to make my version available FREE to EVERYONE. Having said that i am receiving strong advice to make it available commercially. It certainly seems to be streets ahead of Sky in producing correct information as to who is in and who is out of the qualifying chase ahead of each race and in other areas. Again, i point out i'm not saying anything against your own software, i'll put that down to the presenter not being able to read and/or convey the relevant correct information in front of him.

I'm still hopeful of getting it to fans for FREE. Reasons pushing me down that road rather than make money from it include;

1. Most of all i do believe in utilizing the internet in the spirit of it's early days and sharing and giving information and applications free of charge to all. Obviously using information already in the public domain or for educational purposes etc.

2. Biggest obstacle right now to even making the free version available is simply lack of spare time.

3. If charging for it that undoubtedly means the hassle of;

a. Registering it as a business.

b. Registering for VAT and more work on one's own personal taxation paperwork.

c. If one is making money on the back of the SGP series one presumes one has to obtain (and pay for) a license from IMG/BSI. I'm surprised that some fans often use the official trademark logo's of the SGP on literature they produce, that's a severe no-no (not referring to yourself!).

d. Lol! wait for this......paying Sam more than he's getting paid already or, if he isn't being paid for the plugs, trying to curry favour and/or become his new bestest friend ahead of current favoured rival software producers ;)

Despite all the above, having seen the prices charged for Speedway software, which are far higher priced than i expected, it does all look tempting lol.

Anyways, no worries, your burgeoning empire is safe for now!!! as i'm so busy right now it's a struggle to find the time to produce the racecards and nightly League tables. Ok admittedly most of the 'busyness' is leisure related and being out and about lol. But, it all results in a lack of time to press ahead with issuing software for now.

Incidentally for those interested, once i do get to go ahead with the software i will obviously add it to my racecard page. So i guess it''s watch that space!