British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
smiffy the shifta

Hall Of Shame.......

Okay gang here's a question for you all......am i brave or what!!

Think back over the length of time you've all been fans of the shale and name the one rider (in your opinion) who was regarded as a great signing, arrived with loads of publicity and well ...........................sunk without trace!!

As im a former resident of 'Blunsdon' here is just a few names to start the ball rolling.......

1981-Veigo Toronimi-finnish international-rode for Eastbourne previous year arrived at swindon......Oh dear!!

Lenard Raba polish international :o

Jerzy trezkowski polish international :o

And who could forget Sumner maknight :blink:

I look forward to your replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Or Rudy Mutts and Mike Faria, who didn't arrive at all!

Although not quite in the mode of "sunk without trace" I remember Ian Barney being hailed as a brilliant signing for Exeter and also Gordan Kennett It was really hyped up down here at the time....They did absolutely nothing for us-total disasters.

Nice blokes all the same but it was painful to watch.......

:rolleyes: Jamie Luckhurst was signed by Ipswich and hailed as "star". Trouble was he never shon!!! :unsure::unsure::D

Looking back over this thread I dont think its right to call it "Hall of shame".

Anyone that has been brave enough to sit on a bike and give it a go cannot be included in "The hall of shame"--disappointing results sure-or over hyped but "Hall of shame" no way......

From what I posted regards Barney and Kennett... disappionting sure,they were probably more disappointed than the fans were.

Nevsy relax please........just a bit of fun was only intended to lighten the dark days before March.

Call it wot u like.

Got to be Paul Gatchet who rode for White City Rebels ....At 17 hailed as the a future world champion

I have to agree with Nevsy I cant see where the word shame comes into this.

Eddie Davidsson for Oxford Rebels was an example of a rider completely out of his depth and you could see how unhappy he was...but it was unfair on him to be called from the Swedish second division to the BL1.

Paul Gachet was a fine Speedway rider - for the record he was age 21 in 1976 at White City, and scored a maximum in his first campaign. In 1977 he missed most of the season with a broken ankle at Easter and then was forced to retire two years later with a broken thigh while a heatleader for Mildenhall, no shame there.

Respect for all Speedway riders.

what about Bobby McNeil? didnt he leave Eastbourne as the div 2 riders champ and fail or is it just my memory failing.seem to remember the Dons got Roger Johns at the same time and when McNeil came to Plough Lane the programme pointed out that we seemed to have got the better rider!

Bobby McNeil wasn't bad at all, though for most of his first season in the top flight he didn't look much and averaged around 4 a match. However, in the last match of the 1975/6(?) season at Swindon he then scored a surprising 14 points (I even remember it being against Hull!), and the following year averaged around 7.5. Maybe he never quite reached the heights expected of him, but certainly not a failure.

Guest maddriver

Mark Courtney, we signed him from Leicester where he was making great progress, must have had a handfull of DECENT meetings for the Aces.

O.K maybe not Bobby McNeil,i said my memory wasnt that good although the phrase "one swallow doesnt make a summer" comes to mind,but there was a guy called Ivan Mauger who came to plough lane was going to be the next Mirac or Briggo !was rubbish!wonder what ever happened to him? :)

Edited by iris123

Lee "I' going to average 6" & "Son of Phil" Herne :)

He went on the average 6.2 in the CL!!!

Similary, Matt Cambridge was going to average 5 last year, i'm sure he was refering to the PL, his CL average was under 5!!!!

Hopefully Dawid Kujawa won't be in here, 2001 U21 Champ, can't average 6 in the Polish 1st League (2nd division!!!).

Or ...... Mike Faria, who didn't arrive at all!

Thankfully Mike Faria arrived and stayed at Edinburgh. Great guy, superb on a bike and along with wife Roxanne was a very colourful addition to speedway in Scotland :)

Paul Dugard, much trumpeted arrival but sank without trace.

Steve Collins, similarly expectations were too high because of family.

Carl Blackbird, like mark courtney a big money signing for the Aces who was unable to justify the fee.

Andrew Silver, fantastic in the NL, but never reached as high as I thought he would.

Countless foreign signings over the years.

Like others I disagree with the word shame, maybe disappointment....