British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PhilK

How Many Teams In Nl In 2012

Seeing Shadders thread about the Rye House Raiders returning next season following the failed experiment with Hackney, got me thinking about what teams would run in 2012, and will there be any newcomers?

From this years 10 I would guess

Mildenhall, Rye House, Stoke, Scunthorpe, Buxton and Dudley are certainties to run

Kings Lynn, Belle Vue and Isle of Wight are hopefuls / maybe's :unsure:

And Newport look doubtful

As for new sides the rumour about Bodmin continues :unsure: and will Sittingbourne appear in 2012 :unsure:

Does anyone have any views or news on possible runners?!

Edited by PhilK

Seeing Shadders thread about the Rye House Raiders returning next season following the failed experiment with Hackney, got me thinking about what teams would run in 2012, and will there be any newcomers?

From this years 10 I would guess

Mildenhall, Rye House, Stoke, Scunthorpe, Buxton and Dudley are certainties to run

Kings Lynn, Belle Vue and Isle of Wight are hopefuls / maybe's :unsure:

And Newport look doubtful

As for new sides the rumour about Bodmin continues :unsure: and will Sittingbourne appear in 2012 :unsure:

Does anyone have any views or news on possible runners?!

Long Eaton running at leicester .I wouls say are a more than hopeful but not a certainty

Had reports over the last few weeks (mostly but not totally unconfirmed)that Buxton, Rye House, Belle Vue, King's Lynn & Isle of Wight are all running :approve:

I really can't see Mildenhall, Stoke or Dudley closing or changing leagues as they have all almost certainly been a financial success this year and Scunthorpe's number of riders now at PL clubs has meant that their NL side has done its job so I will be surprised if they go.

Sadly, I doubt very much if Newport will be around - in fact, the only way I see that happening is if the PL side finish instead and there is a will to continue with speedway at Queensway.

Bodmin, I am told, is looking very good indeed. Long way to travel but who wouldn't fancy a trip to Cornwall ?

There could always be one or two others that pop out of the pack - who would have expected the Colts to be riding this year ?

Whats happening with the plans at BRISTOL..????

Whats happening with the plans at BRISTOL..????

Looking very good........but for 2013.

That's what I have heard, anyway.

From this year's 10 I can only see a doubt being over Newport. Though would BV Colts want to run if Howarth & Garrity's averages make them ineligible? Realistically though I don't think Jason will hit over 5.00 his year, but Howarth might yet do that (Rule change anyone? :rolleyes: ).

From what I'm told you can put the Islanders in the NL certanties bracket.

As to new teams... the Bodmin one is interesting! I thought Bristol intended to run in the NL in 2012 a couple of years ago, and I thought that was still a possibility, even though as time passes the likelhood will get smaller. And hasn't the same been said about Sittingbourne for a couple of winters now? So what makes this winter any different?

There could always be one or two others that pop out of the pack - who would have expected the Colts to be riding this year ?

Completely agree HT

The standard of the national league this season was probably the highest the third tier has been, and yet with the exception of 2 or3 tracks it still fails to capture the imagination of the fans who do not attend in good numbers which is a shame,,because the racing and atmosphere can be excellent as Dudley and Mildenhall fans can testify to. It is to be hoped at least 10 teams start next season.. And will continue to produce some more excellent youngsters that we have undoubtably seen this season..several of whom have doubled up in the Premier League at reserve already, in my opinion premier reserves should be exclusively under 21 yrs and british and this should be put forward at the BSPA AGM...Our thanks should go to those promoters that are encouraging young British riders..Lets get behind this league next year and help make it the success it needs to be for the future of speedway in this country..

Edited by waco

Interesting to read John Cooks comments that Lakeside may run in the NL if there is enough interest!

I still cant understand how they can say the Hawks experiment failed when they have only given it one season and as we know speedway fans are creatures of habit and habits take more than a season to break. Unless the 2 clubs couldnt agree on a way forward

Running Rye and Lakeside NL teams separately will be better for crowds at both venues having a real home side to support whilst it means we gain another team in the NL numbers wise. Good luck to any Lakeside NL team if they do run a team at this level.

The standard of the national league this season was probably the highest the third tier has been, and yet with the exception of 2 or3 tracks it still fails to capture the imagination of the fans who do not attend in good numbers which is a shame,,because the racing and atmosphere can be excellent as Dudley and Mildenhall fans can testify to. It is to be hoped at least 10 teams start next season.. And will continue to produce some more excellent youngsters that we have undoubtably seen this season..several of whom have doubled up in the Premier League at reserve already, in my opinion premier reserves should be exclusively under 21 yrs and british and this should be put forward at the BSPA AGM...Our thanks should go to those promoters that are encouraging young British riders..Lets get behind this league next year and help make it the success it needs to be for the future of speedway in this country..

I agree 100%. But if someone should give a team a name/brand different to the norm (eg Cobras or 'Hackney') let's just go with the flow, eh..?!

Interesting to read John Cooks comments that Lakeside may run in the NL if there is enough interest!

That looks more promising than ever.

I spoke to Ashley Taylor (one of those behind Bodmin Speedway) at Plymouth a week or so ago and he was very guarded and careful indeed, probably stung by what happened last time down there. He did say that the court ruling at Mildenhall is being used as a benchmark for the track and I got the impression that there is a willingness to co-operate between the authorities and himself - certainly there doesn't appear to be any objecting neighbours and I know the planned site is next to a moto-cross track with full planning permission. Every best wish to him.

I also heard last week that there could potentially be another new track in the NL, that being conditional to planning permission.

Jack Lee was talking enthusiastically about 2012; perhaps Jayne hasn't spoken to him yet :D

Edited by Halifaxtiger